black
    01 ws6

Ride Comfort on 18's

My car rides pretty ok now - it feels like it's floating on water, but it's not a super harsh ride, when I go over dips/bumps it feels real bad though, gives my girl a headache - and other people, im pretty ok with it though... I do drive long distances - but anyways -
    Im looking into getting some 18' z06 motorsports and wanted to drop it... or just get the koni's and do the hosemode/lower pirch mod. I don't really mind the harsh ride, but my girlfriend does, and I do a lot of long distance/time driving so having a real comfortable ride is important... what would be the best way to get the most comfy ride and drop it some? If i can't drop it any i dont mind as long as the ride is more comfy than it is now, everytime i go over bumps/dips i feel everything, car has 100k miles on stock shocks as far as I know, my gramps gets discounts for me since he has his own auto shop, so what kinda shocks should I get? Would just getting some tokikos or whatever from autozone make a difference for now? Or should I wait for the konis? thanks guys, Haven't had a chance to give Sam a call yet, but will be doing so as soon as I get a chance...

Evr sena bdgr killa snak? Roastem's Avatar

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

18's and Bilsteins. If you drop it, your ride quality will suffer. I got 18's on mine (see profile) and the ride quality is awesome, and it looks like it has a 1" drop, but it doesn't.
    Heads 'n Cammed, Moser 12, 3.73's, Weight Reduction, 13" Brembo Kit
    BMR track suspension, full exhaust, the works...
    412whp/394wtq 1/4 mile slip coming soon!
    Gone: '01 Laser Red Cobra 3.73's/Full Bolt-ons

black
    01 ws6

Is the ride w/ the bilsteins better than stock? I wonder if just my shocks are very bad as it is right now - don't beleive they where ever replaced since I purchased car w/ 100k miles

black
    01 ws6

So if I was to get 17 inch wheels, would I get a more comfortable ride than 18's? Would the car look more lowered also? Thanks Guys

silver
    2000 camaro ss

hey roastem what kind of wheels are they on your car?? i like them

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by eddielb
    Is the ride w/ the bilsteins better than stock? I wonder if just my shocks are very bad as it is right now - don't beleive they where ever replaced since I purchased car w/ 100k miles
    Bilsteins, especially on lowered cars, are necessary. They make a big difference in ride quality. If you got the car stock with 100K, it might very well still have the stock shocks. Replace those first, then slap the 18's on there, and you might achieve the "lowered look" without dropping the suspension.

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by eddielb
    So if I was to get 17 inch wheels, would I get a more comfortable ride than 18's? Would the car look more lowered also? Thanks Guys
    Mine rides, handles, and stops real nice with the 18's and good shocks. Plus it looks like it has been lowered. I can't lower mine anyway, b/c I put the SLP longtubes on it, and they scrub like hell with stock ride height.

Pewter
    '99 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by baseballss
    hey roastem what kind of wheels are they on your car?? i like them
    Those are 18x9 (275/35 Proxes) front chrome 06 corvette's, with 18x10.5 (295/35 Proxes) on the back. They look HOT (especially from behind), plus the Z06 brake upgrade w/ red calipers and drilled/slotted rotors SHINE through the rims. Besides being asthetically pleasing, those brakes also feel strong enough to stop a freight train.

Black
    1999 Trans Am WS6

Wow...100,000 miles on stock shocks...time to get new ones! I can tell you Koni's are great shocks, I just put a set on my T/A this weekend. They are definitely stiff, but the handling you'll get from them is awesome. Either way whether you lower the car or not I would invest in Koni Single Adjustable shocks. If your worried about the ride quality I would stay away from aftermarket lowering springs and keep the stock springs on w/ Koni shocks.

Mods: Pro 5.0 shifter, CAGS, Borla Exhaust, Direct-Flo Lid, K&N Air Filter, Fast Toys Ram Air Kit, BMR STB, BMR Adjustable PHB, BMR Boxed & Welded SFCs, Metco LCAs w/ Relocation brackets, Metco Driveshaft safety loop, Koni Shocks, Eibach Pro-Kit.
    Last edited by bad99ta; 05-29-2006 at 11:18 AM.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

shocks and springs define the ride quality. tires define the transmittal of road irregularities. the smaller the sidewalls, the more you'll feel the road through the steering wheel. the stiffer the springs/shocks, the more the care will feel rigid. this, will net you the jarring effect.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

Thread Information