Red
    2005 Cadillac CTS-V

Replace both shocks or 1?

My right rear shock is shot....wheelhops like a bitch and makes a thudding noise when getting on it, also when I go fast enough over hills in the road and the suspension drops, something in the right rear rubs......its gotta be the shock.

anyway, I just need a stock replacement, I'm planning on getting a monroe shock $28 from advance auto parts......

Question is, if I replace the right, should I replace the left too????

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 2MuchFun View Post
    My right rear shock is shot....wheelhops like a bitch and makes a thudding noise when getting on it, also when I go fast enough over hills in the road and the suspension drops, something in the right rear rubs......its gotta be the shock.

anyway, I just need a stock replacement, I'm planning on getting a monroe shock $28 from advance auto parts......

First off...yes. You never just change one shock. How cheap can you be??

Second off, Monroe shocks are mostly garbage. They are not designed for a performance application. Get some good shocks like Bilstein or Koni. At the very least KYB.

From what you're describing, it doesn't even sound like a shock problem. Bad shocks won't make anything rub, and they won't make a thud noise unless the shock mount itself is shot. I'd do a full inspection of the rear end and find out whats really going on, because it sounds like more than a bad shock absorber.

Red
    2005 Cadillac CTS-V

are the monroes as good as oem?

I've only put like 1k miles on this thing this year.....

White
    2001 Z28

A. Replace both. If one broke the other isn't far behind... Would you put new brake pads on one wheel but not the other? And what's worse is you would be running two completely different design shocks on the car. Not smart.

B. Don't waste your money on Monroe for this car. They are Sensatrac's and have next to no control in the first inch or so of motion in each direction. They call it a design feature, I call it stupid. If you don't want damping, stay with your broken shock.

C. If you are looking for cost effective but actually decent vs. the Monroe junk, I can hook you up with Tokico's for just under $60 each.
    Sam Strano
    SCCA National Champion (x6)
    SCCA ProSolo Class Champion (x5)
    2009 SCCA ProSolo Overall Champion
    Owner--Strano Performance Parts
    814-849-3450

Red
    2005 Cadillac CTS-V

damn you guys for making me spend money

:Lol: j/k

might as well get the whole setup all the way around.

Whats a good kit that lowers the car about a inch, and is smooth riding and handles good? keep in mind price is a factor.

are KYB shocks any good?
    Last edited by 2MuchFun; 08-26-2008 at 03:53 PM.

Red
    2005 Cadillac CTS-V

sam, I been looking at your lineup........I can't afford koni's.......I'm seriously considering your bilstein revalves and strano springs......thats about $700 bucks but its gotta be better than kyb + prokit......if I'm going to do it might as well do it right I guess.

And will you do paypal? I don't have a credit card.
    Last edited by 2MuchFun; 08-26-2008 at 03:58 PM.

White
    2001 Z28

I do take Paypal... We don't do Revalves any more due to a number of factors not the least of which are costs and availability. But we have options we can talk about.

Red
    2005 Cadillac CTS-V

Well folks I ended up getting 4 Bilstiens for a great price from Strano......I just got back from the first test run and let me tell ya, it was worth every penny!! It doesn't hardly wheelhop anymore, and when I slide the back end it's smooth as silk. It still hops a little when you go into 2nd at 5500rpm but thats probally normal. One of my next 3 mods is gonna be 3pt SFC.

From what you're describing, it doesn't even sound like a shock problem. Bad shocks won't make anything rub, and they won't make a thud noise unless the shock mount itself is shot. I'd do a full inspection of the rear end and find out whats really going on, because it sounds like more than a bad shock absorber.
    The thudding is from the glasspack hitting the bottom of the car when it wheelhops-I'm taking that out.

The actual RIM (10.5 c6 wheel) was rubbing the wheelwell stop on the rh side, I ground that down and hammered in a few spots on the wheel well where the tire was rubbing--hopefully that stuff fixes the rubbing and thudding noises--They are so annoying.

Black
    00 Trans Am/Auto

Yeah, mine def needs shocks. Bounces like a baby bouncer. Stock shocks suck though I'm sure. I don't want to pay so damn much for shocks though but, if I want a better/smoother ride, I guess I'll have to pony up some dough.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Well folks I ended up getting 4 Bilstiens for a great price from Strano......I just got back from the first test run and let me tell ya, it was worth every penny!! It doesn't hardly wheelhop anymore, and when I slide the back end it's smooth as silk. It still hops a little when you go into 2nd at 5500rpm but thats probally normal. One of my next 3 mods is gonna be 3pt SFC.

The wheel hop you are getting going into 2nd is most likely caused by the stock stamped steel trailing arms and the soft bushings.

Invest in some tubular or boxed trailing arms (also called lower control ams) along with a tubular panhard rod while you're at it. I got a complete kit (trailing arms and panhard rod with poly bushings) for less than $200, I believe I ordered them through WS6Store.

Electric Blue Pearl
    2001 Trans Am

Whatever you choose, dont waste money on Monroes. I put them in the V-6 before I sold the car and it rode the same as when the old ones were blown.

This Light Dinner Is Over hamburger68's Avatar

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

good choice, i have bilsteins for a while now and love them. went around the nürburgring before and after, spun off with the stock shocks, stayed on with the bilsteins.

Thread Information