Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Black
    99 SS

recommend me good shocks for my application?

ok so im currently shopping for shocks, no idea which way i should go either, the set up that is already going on the car is

sfc's
    lowering springs
    lca's
    adjustable tq arm
    adj panhard bar
    9" rear end
    6 speed
    convertable

ill prolly only go to the track once or twice a year with this car so that is not my main issue and only drive it on the weekends.
    so what are some ideas?

keep in mind I dont want to spend a ton of money on them since I just bought a ton of parts for it and it hit the bank hard.

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

koni is what most will tell you. but i have herd good thing about kyb and some bad. strano ones sead if you dont get konis take a look at his bilstines that are to his specs. im going to try the kyb's on mine i think.

Black
    99 SS

well i dont want to drop 800 for the knoi's and i looked into the strano ones and they were recommened with stock springs, i think i might have to go with the kyb's just for cost aspect of it.

White
    2001 Z28

I have AGX's in stock, as well as Bilstein Strano-spec.

Black
    99 SS

ok i know there in the same price rang which would fit my application better then? i noticed on your site that it said not to use your shocks with aftermarket springs?

White
    2001 Z28

AGX's are $390/set. Bilstein's are $435/set.

Bilstein's are not intended for lowering springs. AGX's have more damping rate which controls higher rate/shorter travel springs and the are adjustable so you can change what's happening with the feel and reaction of the car. The Bilstein's are better built, but their tuning isn't intended for lowering springs. This of it this way: The Bilstein's are a tune for a stock engine. AGX's are a tune for a mild cam. Using the stock tune for a mild cam works, but doens't work as well as it could. Sort of the same thing.

The reason why we all like Koni's so much is they combine the best of both types of dampers in one (and better damping control than the AGX's). You get what you pay for is the short and sweet answer.

So can you use my Bilstein's with lowering springs? Yes, but you have to understand it's not ideal. Many companies will just gloss over that and tell you it's 100% perfect. I disagree. It's workable, and makes a lot of folks happen. Then again, others have found the damping to be not up to snuff for their wants and changed to something else.

It's a tough call, and I can't tell you one is absolutely better in this case than the other. I have Koni's on my car because the others didn't give me what I wanted individiually.
    Sam Strano
    SCCA National Champion (x6)
    SCCA ProSolo Class Champion (x5)
    2009 SCCA ProSolo Overall Champion
    Owner--Strano Performance Parts
    814-849-3450

Black
    99 SS

well the car also has the TQER'2 cam and mild heads also on it, and i plan on the fast 90/90 set up with a 150 shot.

so thinking that way i should most likely just bite the bullet and get the Koni's?

White
    2001 Z28

I'm biased... I think it's either AGX's for the adjustment and cost savings, or Koni for the adjustment range, the control, more composed damping, and kick-ass warranty.

If you are thinking Koni you need to order them before the end of June, if you don't the price will be some $130/set higher (they are on sale and it ends then). Also, it's only fair I tell you Koni's are on a backorder because the sale is moving so many shocks. Right now I can't get a full set in your hands until early July (and likely nobody can as Koni NA is completely out as well as are all my alternate vendors...... I have AGX's here.

Black
    99 SS

its a lot to think about im just thinking more of my application and its going to be more of a street car, once or twice a year to the drag strip and to autox.

just want more comfortable ride honestly, yea its to bad i think the knoi's are literally made right down the road from me, i dont know if i can wait that long on them honestly, because I have a room full of parts here and a car needs to be sold also which im taking parts from.

regardless ill make up my mind by next friday about it. thanks for the help man.

White
    2001 Z28

A few things: Koni NA is in Hebron KY, but they are made in Holland, not in KY.

Ride comes from control, ever notice cars with worn shocks (worn shock have less damping control and are softer) ride worse than cars on firmer shocks (vs. brick stiff)? If you put many miles on a stock 4th gen you'd have seen the ride degrade with miles at the same time the stability does. Those shocks aren't getting firmer, they are getting weaker and the ride suffers.

Add this as well, shocks damp mass... they don't know if you are on I-71 or an autox course. They don't care. Control is control, lack of it is a lack of it. Certainly those that corner carve tend to want more than less. But it's false to think that good shocks don't help a car that's "street" driven only.

2002 WS6 TranAm

This is one of the most helpful shock post I've seen thus far. I can't wait to get the Strano's on and I'm still debating the dreaded AGX/Koni debate. Modding a car can become expensive especially if you are trying to do it right from the start.

Black
    99 SS

yea thats the whole thing, its doing it right and doing it right once

2002 WS6 TranAm

I just don't know if right includes Koni or AGX for what I need. I think hands down you won't go wrong with Koni but I'm not sure I'll be unhappy or want do right by AGX

Black
    99 SS

my car is not a DD what so ever it will not get driven that often or raced often.

red
    2000 Z28

Assuming that you've got a Moser or Strange 9", you've got $3500+ in your rear suspension. In the grand scheme of things, the Koni's will cost about 20% of your rear suspension budget but have a much larger effect on ride control than any of the pieces you've bought so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Zboner View Post

sfc's
    lowering springs
    lca's
    adjustable tq arm
    adj panhard bar
    9" rear end

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

Sam is a great guy and obviously knows his stuff and I can gurantee you this, his customer service is awesome. What you see here in this thread is what you get with him on the phone!

Black
    99 SS

Quote Originally Posted by tremiles View Post
    Assuming that you've got a Moser or Strange 9", you've got $3500+ in your rear suspension. In the grand scheme of things, the Koni's will cost about 20% of your rear suspension budget but have a much larger effect on ride control than any of the pieces you've bought so far.

true also, i also have the rear Drag Sway bar, does that make any difference when it comes to shocks, I noticed a difference in the car when i put this on.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

boner, considering you want a budget set up, just get the KYB's. Hell, i'm interested to see how they feel being i'm a koni snob now.

Black
    99 SS

yea im really leaning that way

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Zboner View Post
    yea im really leaning that way
    if you do go with the kybs keep us posted b/c im still sporting the stockers and want to upgrade

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information