Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    wheelin' and dealin' BlueBomber's Avatar

NBM
    01 SS M6

Rear tires rub with pro-kit

Hey I've got an Eibach pro-kit and was wondering how many of you have issues with your rear tires rubbing the wheel well on bumps? Would having the fenders rolled be a good idea? Any suggestions would be great, thanks!

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBomber View Post
    Hey I've got an Eibach pro-kit and was wondering how many of you have issues with your rear tires rubbing the wheel well on bumps? Would having the fenders rolled be a good idea? Any suggestions would be great, thanks!
    I got Eibach pro kit 1.25'' ... it will settle to 1.5-1.6'' by the time springs settle in a month. I highly recommend getting the shocks done at the same time too, Blistein HD socks work well. if you keep the stock shocks it (tires) may rub over some tough bumps.

Black
    00 SS Vert#0540/ 14 GMC

It all depends on where your tires are rubbing. If they are rubbing on the outside of the tire? on one tire only? you may need an adjustable pan hard rod. You need to be more specific and say exactly where your tires are rubbing. A lot of times, when you lower a car, the rearend will kick out to one side. Measure your tires, see if they are evenly sticking out on both sides.

rob

Black 00 SS M6, vert, #0540 408ci

DD 2014 Sierra All Terrain

NBM
    01 SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by HASTINGSRJ View Post
    It all depends on where your tires are rubbing. If they are rubbing on the outside of the tire? on one tire only? you may need an adjustable pan hard rod. You need to be more specific and say exactly where your tires are rubbing. A lot of times, when you lower a car, the rearend will kick out to one side. Measure your tires, see if they are evenly sticking out on both sides.

rob
    The outside of the tire is rubbing the inner fender lip by about 1/8th of an inch. It's pretty even and isn't rubbing on one side more than the other. I know he put bilstein shocks on it when it was lowered, I dont know if they're HD tho...Are shocks really enough to practically stop this issue?

you may need adj coil overs instead, they aren't cheap either. not sure why ur having the issue. are you sure you didn't buy the eibach sportline kit? those are advertised as 1.6'' front, 1.4'' rear but realistically they would settle 2'' and 1.8''...

NBM
    01 SS M6

naw I didn't put 'em on I took his word for it, is there a way to tell?

NBM
    01 SS M6

oh and I heard somethin about bump stops, if theyre removed would that cause this problem?

have the mechanic check man. lift it up and see what's up, make sure you got eibach pro kit not sportline kit. and ask about the shocks... when he lifts the car up the blistein shocks should be yellow. like in this pic.

talk to him about...

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by djvaly View Post
    Blistein HD shocks work well
    I disagree.
    Those shocks are okay for a while, but the ride will be a little rougher than it could be with properly valved shocks. The ProKit is too aggressive for those shocks.
    Strano's revalved Bilsteins work great, or Koni SA/DA.

Concerning the rubbing....probably time to roll the fenders. Some have to...others don't.

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

I had to have my fenders rolled a bit with my Pro-Kit/Bilstein combo; have an adjustable bar.

no problems here, mods in my sig...

Black
    00 SS Vert#0540/ 14 GMC

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBomber View Post
    The outside of the tire is rubbing the inner fender lip by about 1/8th of an inch. It's pretty even and isn't rubbing on one side more than the other. I know he put bilstein shocks on it when it was lowered, I dont know if they're HD tho...Are shocks really enough to practically stop this issue?
    so your saying that both tires are rubbing on the outside of each tire? If so theres a problem. There is no way, if he put new bilsteins on it that they should be rubbing. I have never heard of a prokit doing that. NOW, unless you did get the sportline kit(which is lower than the pro kit) If it is infact only rubbing on one side, an adjustable pan hard rod will take care of that problem.....but I have never heard of anyone needing adj coil overs for a prokit

Quote Originally Posted by HASTINGSRJ View Post
    so your saying that both tires are rubbing on the outside of each tire? If so theres a problem. There is no way, if he put new bilsteins on it that they should be rubbing. I have never heard of a prokit doing that. NOW, unless you did get the sportline kit(which is lower than the pro kit) If it is infact only rubbing on one side, an adjustable pan hard rod will take care of that problem.....but I have never heard of anyone needing adj coil overs for a prokit
    +1 I agree

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

Okay, I'm running 295 18s in back, which is why I'm rubbing. Bluebomber, I'm assuming that you're not running stock rear tires. When I got my Pro-kit, I was running stock tires and I wasn't rubbing. You should not need to go with coilovers unless your car is really lowered to the ground.

Black
    00 SS Vert#0540/ 14 GMC

The only other thing I can think of is if he has got some weight in the back of that thing. Maybe a big speaker system or something. I run 295's on the rear of my car too (I have done it for years) When I had my 98, with a prokit, I had to use an adj pan hard. I even kept the stock decarbon springs. Once the panhard was on, no more rubbing. Even when my vert now was lowered, with 295's (with some cheap springs) I didnt have any issues. And a vert is heavier than a coupe is.......

Quote Originally Posted by cobrahunter View Post
    Okay, I'm running 295 18s in back, which is why I'm rubbing. Bluebomber, I'm assuming that you're not running stock rear tires. When I got my Pro-kit, I was running stock tires and I wasn't rubbing. You should not need to go with coilovers unless your car is really lowered to the ground.
    I'm running 295MT et street DRs which actually are as wide as the 315 Nitto 555R... on 17'' wheels.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by djvaly View Post
    I'm running 295MT et street DRs which actually are as wide as the 315 Nitto 555R... on 17'' wheels.
    295? or 275?

Here is the 315 Nitto and the 275 MT DR's...

I meant 275 MT = 315 NittoR... too tired this AM

NBM
    01 SS M6

ok, I just talked to the guy I bought it from and he claims that the new yoko ES100s he put on there have something called "rim guard". They are however, only 275s. I'm assuming this "rim guard" thing made the tires just wide enough to rub. I mean, it's only rubbin about 1/8th of an inch on one side and even less than that on the other. As for shocks, they are the yellow bilsteins which means they're HD right?

Thanks a lot guys, I think all this info leads me to beleive i'll have to just roll the fenders.

roll them up a bit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information