Black
    2001 Trans Am Ws6

Question: Rear end

First, I apologize for the stupidity, but i just had my car at my mechanic's getting the ls7 clutch put in and he said that my back bearing's are going bad. He said he checked the rear end and there is grease all over and that I will need to replace the rear end soon.

Question: Which parts is he referring to and where can I get them for the cheapest price that are better than stock?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Black
    2000 Trans Am

There are alot of sponsors on here that sell just about everything. I personally go with CustomSSI.com. Its a local shop for me tho. Josh really knows his stuff and he price matches. Now that I have had my car in his shop I prolly wont ever take it anywhere else to have work done to it..

Black
    2001 Trans Am Ws6

Do you think sub-frame connectors will correct my problem or what exact part will remedy this situation?

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Nosws6 View Post
    Do you think sub-frame connectors will correct my problem or what exact part will remedy this situation?
    sfc's wont help..they are simply chassis strengthening...

98' trans am

our 10 bolts leak quite a bit..i wouldnt worry about it too much...you will/should just upgrade to a new rearend..a dana60,9",12 bolt

Black
    2001 Trans Am Ws6

Thanks Shady. Yeah everyone talks about our 10 bolts being sh+tty. I can actually hear something while driving, I only have about 52k miles. When do you think it would need to be changed or is it totally dependent on how its been driven?

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Nosws6 View Post
    Thanks Shady. Yeah everyone talks about our 10 bolts being sh+tty. I can actually hear something while driving, I only have about 52k miles. When do you think it would need to be changed or is it totally dependent on how its been driven?
    depends on when it gets ready to go..its really up in the air..they are loud by defualt anyways..the 10 isnt shitty...its just not the best match for our cars.

Black
    2000 Trans Am

The stock 10 bolt rear end is not "practical" for the abuse that the motor and the driver place on these cars. I had my car dynoed at less than 300 hp and after about 2 nites at the track with only a few passes my rear end when to hell. My bearings were shot, my grears were rounded off and they were loose, and my posi was completely destroyed. It was a better Idea for me to just ditch the 10 bolt and get something stronger rather than upgrade the old one just to have it break again. I went with a Moser 9" and had it installed there. The guy worked with me and it was a little cheaper than what I have seen others for. Your prolly gonna need new axles and bearings, seals and prolly some other things also. If you race it, you may want to do the same thing I did.

Mine was grinding something really, really bad. It was terrible couldnt hardly hear the exhaust over it.

SFC are just to make your frame stronger, taking the flex out of the body when you get on it hard, Having an upgraded suspension you might break it sooner, I dont know that for sure tho.

98' trans am

the weakness comes from the housing..the housing flexes to much for the torque that our engines put out...the flexing then causes the contact area for the gears change and eventually grenades everything its actually pretty sad a built suspension "can" break it sooner...since by deff...a built suspension is designed for increased traction/handling....with that said..a fully built suspension without DR will not cause any increased damage to the 10 bolt...it will actually help...stopping wheel hop ect...but its when you combine a built suspension with tires that bite and are harder to break loose....tires breaking loose is what saves the shock to the rear.

Thread Information