Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    2000 Pontiac WS6

Problem after installing UMI stuff?

OK, got the new UMI stuff, everything went on fairly easy. Added the Tranny mount with the torque arm relocation with the Non adjustable torque arm. Also added the 3 point bolt in SFC's, will weld them later this week.

Things seems pretty good for the first 50 miles or so. Now I am getting a clunk on take off, even when I am stopped and going from drive to reverse I get a clunk. I put it back on the lift and everything is still tight.

I did seem to notice that the tranny mount drops the tranny about an inch or so compared to the stock mount. Would this be causing the U-joints to bind?

Anyone else had an issues like this? I am at a loss.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

at what setting did you place the clam shell poly mount for the front of the torque arm (the piece in the pic below?

If you bottom it out that could be your problem. The higher the better. Did you check the pinon angle to make sure you are around -2*?
    Last edited by SMWS6TA; 05-13-2012 at 09:46 AM.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Did you torque your suspension pieces to at least 75 ft.lbs.? Any chance you have a u-joint on the way out or that the trans mount is loose?

Black
    2000 Pontiac WS6

Thanks for chiming in.

We put it at the 2 hole from the bottom per the UMI instructions for a non dropped stock car. Didnt check the angle but will this week.

Put in a new tranny mount a couple weeks before and inspected it prior to putting in the umi tranny brace, no problems there.

We torqued the everything to the specified torque setting int he install instructions.

I am thinking a bolt may have backed off a bit. It sounds like the clunk may be coming from the back and the clunk sound is being sendup the new torque arm since it is stiffer. I know when i put the LCA's on a few months back, it took a couple times of retorquing them prior to them not clunking anymore.

Will check the ujoints also.

Thanks and will report back just incase anyone else has a similar little issue.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Sounds like a plan. I run their tunnel mount torque arm and that definitely transmits more noise into the driver compartment. It also helps dead hook the car at the line... so small price for getting me into the 1.6 second 60's.

Hey guys.

You shouldn't have any clunking whatsoever. I'm thinking something is loose as well.

The trans mounting pad should be exactly at stock height. Any changes there?

Let me know how you make out when you check for tightness.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
    OK, got the new UMI stuff, everything went on fairly easy. Added the Tranny mount with the torque arm relocation with the Non adjustable torque arm. Also added the 3 point bolt in SFC's, will weld them later this week.

Things seems pretty good for the first 50 miles or so. Now I am getting a clunk on take off, even when I am stopped and going from drive to reverse I get a clunk. I put it back on the lift and everything is still tight.

I did seem to notice that the tranny mount drops the tranny about an inch or so compared to the stock mount. Would this be causing the U-joints to bind?

Anyone else had an issues like this? I am at a loss.
    Ramey Womer
    Product Development Engineer
    ramey@umiperformance.com
    Join us on Facebook!

Black
    2000 Pontiac WS6

Its going in to the shop tomorrow to go over everything again. The back end of the tranny hangs lower now. It dropped low enough that it pulled the motor down a bit and now the exhaust hangs lower to. We measured the drop from the stock tranny mount to the UMI and it appears to be about an inch of difference. I am wondering if I got the wrong piece? I am thinking my u-joints may be binding. I will check the driveline angle tomorrow. I didnt think to check it when I put it on as I thought it was a like for like with the stock piece.

Will report back tomorrow with what I find out.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

There shouldn't be any difference in mounting height. How about some pics?

Agree. Which part number did you order?

Ramey

Black
    2000 Pontiac WS6

I ordered Part number 2208. 98-02 F-Body UMI Performance Torque Arm Relocation Kit - Automatic from the ws6store.com
    I also ordered the non adjustable UMI torque arm with the hardware kit to tie it into the rear end. It is bolted in at the tranny mount in the 2nd from the bottom hole per the instructions for a stock height car.

Is there a part number stamped on the part itself to verify I did get the right thing? I will have my mechanic get into it this afternoon. He said he is going to try to remember to get pictures.

Here's some pics of how your 2208 should look.

http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/...6/IMG_2295.jpg

http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/...6/IMG_2296.jpg

http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/...6/IMG_2297.jpg

Oh, and there's no part number stamped on the product.

Have you confirmed the transmission mount to be correct?

Let me know how you make out. Pics are always helpful and you can send to ramey@umiperformance.com at any time...

ramey
    Last edited by UMI Sales; 05-16-2012 at 07:37 AM.

Black
    2000 Pontiac WS6

That appears to be the same part.

The guy that was checking on everything forgot to get pictures.

We tightened the front of the LCA's that tie into the 3 point SFC down to 100#, they were at 85#, the rear of the LCA on the Axle was left at 75#, that got rid of some of the clunks. Question is this: can we tightened them to, say, 105 or 110#? It seems like with the added mass of the SFC on the LCA mount, it takes more to get it to grip well and tighten down.

Also, I think that now that everything has been tightened up and there is less slop in the chassis, the rear end is now taking a beating since nothing else is flexing. It has 129K and has been making the ratcheting sounds this past year. I fear it may be getting worse even faster now that the chassis isn't flexing or absorbing some of the shock.

Hi Paul.

Excessive torquing usually isn't required on the SFC/LCA brackets but if there is any gapping you certainly need to ensure that it's clamped. Can you tell if the bushing sleeve is completely captured?

It is common to hear new sounds when upgrading suspension pieces. Stock vehicles are seriously damped to prevent cabin noise and decrease vibration. All of our 4th Gens have a different personality after upgrades. Our WS6 is crazy fast and launches like a fiend but certainly doesn't ride or sound "factory".

It sounds like you're on the right track as far as tightness. Did your shop get a chance to verify if the trans bushing is correct? Correct thickness?

ramey

Black
    2000 Pontiac WS6

Yep, the driveshaft is a perfect -2* when loaded. The tranny mount is in good shape. Overall, everything looks good. We are going to try and clamp the front LCA's to 105# and see if that makes a difference. I know everything got a bit noisier in the car do to the more solid nature of everything being tied together. I am totally fine with that. I am just worried about the slack that is making things clunk when it winds up and hits whatever is stopping it in the rear end. Other than that it rides and handles great. I am going to try and get it back in tomorrow to tighten it a bit more.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

You really shouldn't have to torque stuff down that much. If I recall, mine are at 75 ft.lbs. and have been noise-free since installation.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

agreed.....75# is plenty. Those lower control arms will "pop" if they're loose and it'll sound like someone hitting the floorboard of your car on whatever side is loose. What you're describing sounds like a u-joint issue. How old are the u-joints in it? Have you checked those for slop? Also....make sure a u-joint isn't hitting the floorboard or something like that too when the car loads up.

Black
    2000 Pontiac WS6

Weird. I am getting that pop in the floorboard. I am also getting one that sounds like it is from the tranny. Can a automatic tranny make a pop or clunk sound when it shifts under light load/part throttle?

The Ujoints are tight when prying on them with a prybar. The car has 129K and I have not changed them since I got it 25K ago. Nothing is hitting the bottom, no marks to indicate that anyway.

I wish i had someone around here that was more familiar with these cars to take a look.
    Last edited by BlackPearl; 05-18-2012 at 06:07 AM.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Any chance your transmission mount is broken?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Any chance your transmission mount is broken?
    that's what it's sounding like to me....something isn't right with that tranny mount

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Can you post a pic or video so that we can see what you are looking at?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information