Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

please help: summit brand lowering springs

i am in quick need of need of new shocks, struts, and springs. i am going with kyb adjustables, the orange ones. i like the konis but i am real short on cash. anyway, my question is has anyone tried the summit brand springs? they sound okay but are real cheap and i dont want to get crap for springs. thanks guys!!!

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

White
    2001 Z28

They're crap.... Eibach rates (and I'm sure they are blems given the cost). What's scary is the Eibach springs that make out with Eibach's name are sketchy for the LS1.

Some folks have gotten them, and every report I saw wasn't good. Way to low (not a surprise). They won't be 1", won't even be 1.2". You'll be lucky if they are only 1.5" to start and will likely continue down over time.

You get what you pay for on suspension parts. FWIW, I sell both KYB as well as Eibach (and others).

We have AGX's for $375 a set (new lower price, was $409). We sell a variety of spring, but also have our own made which I feel are better than others. I made in the shadow of what I found worked best on my car, and saved a few pounds of weight too.

Not knowing what you know about suspensions, and exactly what you are looking for, I'll tell you now that shocks are such a big key I'd rather see you spend that $650 (AGX's/Strano springs) toward a set of Koni's and stock springs if the best driveability is the goal. You can always add the springs later, once good shocks are in place. Shocks are the key. Springs do help handling, but handing is also about stability, feel, the car working well on bumps.... it's not just about being low or flat.
    Sam Strano
    SCCA National Champion (x6)
    SCCA ProSolo Class Champion (x5)
    2009 SCCA ProSolo Overall Champion
    Owner--Strano Performance Parts
    814-849-3450

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

hey dude thanks, i really appreciate the info. i do understand suspensions pretty well and i know the importance of shocks, but... my car is sagging pretty bad on my drivers side and i have no clue why except that the springs are worn. i know the shocks are bad too. so what springs should i go with? i dont want to go back with stockers tho. just lookin for a lil bit of a drop and better handling.

White
    2001 Z28

You might well need springs, I'm not denying that. However one issue with cheap springs is that they don't last, and that's on top of things like real world drop, spring rates to counter and match the amount of drop, etc.

I had my own springs made, and I did so because I felt I could do a better job.

Info and a pic: http://www.stranoparts.com/viewfeature.php?FeatureID=1
    And a link to where you can order if you decide to: http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=18&ModelID=7

Again we also sell other brands like Eibach and Hotchkis, H&R, Suspension Techniques, Vogtland, B&G, Intrax, etc. There is a reason you don't see me talking about many others for this car. Mine are what I feel at the best combination of spring rate, ride height, weight. Hotchkis are ok, but they actually don't ride as well as the spring rate doesn't rise fast enough for the drop you get and you end up smacking the bumpstops harder than you do with mine. Eibach's have QC issues on the LS1 springs and are even worse in the rate vs. drop department. The LT1 Pro-kit is pretty good, but stiffer than mine as well as roughly 14 pounds a set heavier. But the drop is consistent and the rates good, if more than most need.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

thanks so much mr strano!! i think i am gonna go with your springs and some kyb adjustables. how come you dont care for the agx's so much?

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

i have sams springs and konis and i can attest that i LOVE them.....do it

White
    2001 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by blue02Z View Post
    thanks so much mr strano!! i think i am gonna go with your springs and some kyb adjustables. how come you dont care for the agx's so much?
    Because they aren't as good as other options. No different really than the fact I don't care for an Aveo, but like my Camaro.

The real answer is the adjuster is coarse and not very sensitive to the velocity of the shock, and they aren't built as well as they could be. This is to fit the price point.

Think of it as the difference between Pacesetter headers and a set of premium ones like Kooks, American Racing, StainlessWorks.... EXCEPT where headers all make similar power and you buy fit and finish, the shocks actually perform better and ride better too (fit is not a problem on shocks).

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

cool, lemme check the funds. thanks everyone!!

Thread Information