Thread: Panhard Bar

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Panhard Bar

So, I am thinking of an adjustable panhard bar next. I like the relocation kit UMI has since I have clearance issues with the stock panhard bar and exhaust now.

Anyone here have this installed?

General comments about an aftermarket panhard bar are welcome also.

Will I notice a difference at all?
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

SOM
    2002 SS

I asked this quesion a few weeks back. I definitely noticed a HUGE improvement in ear end feel. It feels more stable and planted especially going over bumps and in turns. AFter I replaced it I realized how bad the stock bar really was. I wish someone told me how much of a difference I would have noticed I would have swapped i sooner. For $100 its a no-brainer mod. I got the poly ended on-car adjustable from umi.

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

Quote Originally Posted by 5abivt View Post
    I asked this quesion a few weeks back. I definitely noticed a HUGE improvement in ear end feel. It feels more stable and planted especially going over bumps and in turns. AFter I replaced it I realized how bad the stock bar really was. I wish someone told me how much of a difference I would have noticed I would have swapped i sooner. For $100 its a no-brainer mod. I got the poly ended on-car adjustable from umi.
    I have the same bar as you, but I didn't notice much of a difference. Out of all my mods to my chassis and suspension, it was next to last. I felt more of a difference out of my strut tower brace. It felt like it stiffened up my car a little bit, but not much. If I didn't have everything else done it might seem like a bigger difference.

35th, what are you trying to do?
    Last edited by 7camaro7; 08-22-2009 at 05:30 PM.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 5abivt View Post
    This is going to be a little more than a $100 mod. The UMI relocation kit is $200 and then I still have to purchase the adj. panhard bar, which is $120.

My car already feels solid with my current set-up.

Right now, my exhaust comes in contact with the OEM panhard bar where it goes over the axle. I am trying to create more clearance. It looks like this option will provide that, but if it isn't going to offer me a substantial performance advantage, I'll just "create" my own clearance and put the $320 towards something else, like a line lock or e-cutout.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    This is going to be a little more than a $100 mod. The UMI relocation kit is $200 and then I still have to purchase the adj. panhard bar, which is $120.

My car already feels solid with my current set-up.

Right now, my exhaust comes in contact with the OEM panhard bar where it goes over the axle. I am trying to create more clearance. It looks like this option will provide that, but if it isn't going to offer me a substantial performance advantage, I'll just "create" my own clearance and put the $320 towards something else, like a line lock or e-cutout.
    If your car is lowered, and you install the relocation kit and an adjustable panhard bar, you will only be creating another problem. Take a look at your panhard bar now. Look at how close it is to your stock panhard brace. After you install the relocation bar, your stock panhard or aftermarket panhard will now hit it. To solve this issue, you will need to get the relocation kit from Jegs. It mounts to the rear and lowers the panhard. At ride height, you want the panhard to be parallel with the ground. If it isn't, then it will either hit the panhard brace, cause binding in the suspension, or it will articulate the rear unevenly.

Here is a pic of the panhard at ride height almost contacting the UMI relocation kit.

Notice how the panhard is not parallel to the ground.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    If your car is lowered, and you install the relocation kit and an adjustable panhard bar, you will only be creating another problem. Take a look at your panhard bar now. Look at how close it is to your stock panhard brace. After you install the relocation bar, your stock panhard or aftermarket panhard will now hit it. To solve this issue, you will need to get the relocation kit from Jegs. It mounts to the rear and lowers the panhard. At ride height, you want the panhard to be parallel with the ground. If it isn't, then it will either hit the panhard brace, cause binding in the suspension, or it will articulate the rear unevenly.

Here is a pic of the panhard at ride height almost contacting the UMI relocation kit.

Click for full size

Notice how the panhard is not parallel to the ground.
    Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but I am finally getting around to ordering this stuff and I want to make sure I understand you....

I understand the fact that the geometry will change lowering the PHB with the relocation kit from UMI. But, is the above pictures with a lowered car?

Mine is not lowered. In fact, it sits up really high in the ass end ever since I got my 9" installed. I heard that's because Moser put the spring nests up higher than where they would sit on the 10 bolt.

Anyway, in my application, if I just get a new PHB and the relocation kit from UMI, should I be OK? Or do I still need to order the JEGS relocation kit for roughly $70?

Navy Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

For Stock height your good, it's designed for stock height.

black
    1998 trans am

Stock ride height you will be good like the other stated. it makes the car feel planted and if you get the adj. one you can center the rear better in the car.

Thanks,
    Mark

also all UMI products on sale till the 30th.... 20% off and free shipping on orders over $99

KYSpeed.com | FREE SHIPPING & HANDLING | PRICE MATCH | EMAIL

Kook's | American Racing Headers | Vararam | HallTech | Textralia | SPEC | McLeod | Raptor | Trick Flow | AFR | ECS
    | FAST | APS | TTi | Procharger | RPM Transmission | Comp | DMH | HP Tuners | PFADT | SLP | STS

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by marksls1ta View Post
    Stock ride height you will be good like the other stated. it makes the car feel planted and if you get the adj. one you can center the rear better in the car.

Thanks,
    Mark

also all UMI products on sale till the 30th.... 20% off and free shipping on orders over $99
    Thanks Mark. Got the items picked out that I want. Will be placing the order tomorrow.

black
    1998 trans am

thank for the support!!!!

Mark

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by marksls1ta View Post
    thank for the support!!!!

Mark
    No problem. Thanks for the great prices!!

Black
    2001 Trans Am

adjustable aftermarket PHB is def the way to go. I bought and non-adj and ended up having to get another when I changed/upgraded the rims and tires.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

PHB and relocation kit came in the other day. Hope to get it on next weekend after finals are done. Hopefully it won't be in the teens temperature wise like it has been.

Silver
    2002 Camaro SS

Newbie Question, I really didn't see an answer to this in the posts but, With stock hiegth do you still need the relaction kit??

Navy Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

Smile

The only purpose of the PHB relocation kit is to give additional exhaust pipe clearance when running over the axle dual pipes, for stock height vehicles.
    Last edited by Blue28; 12-29-2009 at 07:14 AM.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Just for the record, I am at stock height, and am NOT running true duals and my exhaust STILL hits the top OEM PHB support.

This is why I ordered the relocation kit. I also know down the road that I will probably lower the car a little, which at that time, will need the additional bracket from JEGS.

Navy Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

IMO, I would fix the root problem, the Exhaust pipe fitment.
    The PHB support isn't the problem unless it's bent.

Now if you have a 4" over-axle pipe I could also see it being an issue.
    Last edited by Blue28; 12-29-2009 at 10:15 AM.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Blue28 View Post
    IMO, I would fix the root problem, the Exhaust pipe fitment.
    The PHB support isn't the problem unless it's bent.

Now if you have a 4" over-axle pipe I could also see it being an issue.
    It is more of a design issue I am pretty sure with the exhaust I am running. I've created some clearance before, but it ends up always shifting back over and off-center due to where the bracket hangers are and how it mounts. When it does this, it vibrates due to contact.

It's difficult to get under there without a lift and I've had it to (2) different places already to try to correct the problem. The original place probably won't even touch it now that I am not running cats, but I can see.

Thread Information