SOM
    2002 SS

Ordered my New suspension today !!!

Well some parts of it at least ! By the looks of it the Z is here to stay for now. Since we just had a baby, my wife asked me not to go behind her back as I usually do and buy a new 5L mustang SO I decided for once to make her happy as long as she agreed to me blowing some cash on the Z. She said yes and the mods begin !!

I bought Ground control coil overs. There are mixed opinions on the web most of what I found is positive though. For me I think they are the best compromise. I drive my Z in the snow and now have the ability to drive at stock height in the snow and slammed for the summer. I probably wont have it as low as the sportlines so the shocks can work better but it will be low and love the fact that I can make sure myself the rear doesn't look lower than the front which is my biggest peeve. I believe the spring rate is 550/175. I figured if it felt soft I'd be angry and could do nothing about it. If it was too hard I wouldnt complain since it would handle flatter anyways lol so I just went stiffer.

I ordered Bilsteins as well. Apparently Bilstein only makes 1 shock now no more HD. Both ws-6 store and SLP told me so. Kind of sucks but oh well. I feel they were the best for me because 1. they just have to be better than KYB gas-a-justs 2. they are $500 cheaper than Konis and 3. I have read the Konis need to come apart to fit the GC kit which I didn't like.

So for now I'm excited to install all this when it arrives. The next mods are already being planned:

Heads/cam,
    Long tubes + Y pipe
    Stiffer sway bars (probably ss/ws6 for cost reasons)
    SS Hood, and spoiler
    In the summer new 19s.

I'm excited !!

Here's a few pics of my Z as its come along this past year :

Life In The Fast Lane..!! redracer1's Avatar

Brickyard 400 Trac Car#10
    35th Camaro SS/LE Vert

Cool...

That 1st pic almost made me cry.lol.
    Sweet ass Z...the white wheels look clean, good luck with the build, lookin at those bolts PB blaster will be your friend.lol.

Navy Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

Thumbs up

Did you order/get a new set of upper mounts?
    I have a feeling you'll need them.
    Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about/with your install.

Also right now I'm currently (today) changing my front suspension (again ), with a GC front kit with Koni SA's and new Hypercoil 625 lb.in. springs.
    Last edited by Blue28; 02-27-2010 at 12:40 AM.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

1,000% improvement under the hood. Nice work. How about some pics of the suspension install when it happens?

navy blue metallic
    2000 trans am

18" zr1's? where'd you get em?

SOM
    2002 SS

Thanks for the compliments guys I didnt hear about getting new upper mounts are these GM pieces? do they still carry them and does anyone have any part #s?
    I'll definitely post up pics of the suspension install. I usually do it for all my mods but mostly they've been in the general section.
    I snagged 18" zr1s from a vette reproduction company who had a few left over. apparently they were put in production but after the c5/6 wheel craze they threw the zr1 on the backburner. Theyre forged and made in usa 18x9.5. I may powdercoat them silver this summer or I may keep them as a spare set for the vette and pick up c5 z06 rims in 19".

Here's a before / after of the brakes from when I bought it. I didnt tray to spend any time cleaning up besides a quick spray so cheapo gm rotors + a can of spraypaint and heres the difference:

Thread Information