Black
    1993 Firebird Formula

Newly Lowered F-body - Got Two Questions

I just finished lowering my 93 Formula over the weekend (strano springs/kyb adj shocks) and I have two questions now.

First, I understand it is beneficial to install an adjustable panhard bar to center the rear end. When I look at my car from the back, the outside of the rear tires look and measure the same distance from the rear fenders, which seems to indicate the rear end is centered already. I am using a stock length UMI non-adjustable panhard bar. Does this mean I don't need to adjust anything? What is the proper way to measure for proper centering of the rear end?

Second, when I drive over bumps in the road at high-enough speed in just the right way, I get a loud bang/scraping sound. Low speed over same bumps or bigger parking lot speed bumps I get no bang/scraping sounds. I do have headers, but when I crawl under the car with a flashlight, there are no scrapes on either one. What are some other common items that can scrape on the lowered car? The sound does seem to come from the front passenger side, but again, I have no scrapes on my headers (yet).

Thanks!

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

its probably the axle banging against the piece of pipe running over it.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

The only thing to do is to isolate the noise to an area and put the car in the air to see if you have any marks. You may have to adjust a pipe or you may have another component which is worn out. I have a 2002 SS lowered with Eibach springs, Bilstein shocks and UMI adj. panhard bar and bushings. I only have a scrape on speed bumps because I have a 3" Y-pipe and that hits. Happy hunting.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Black
    1993 Firebird Formula

Spikito - interesting theory - my exhaust has only about an inch between it and my upper parhard bar after lowering. Is this why they make a panhard bar relocation kit?

2002ssslp - I wish I could isolate the noise to just one area - from the driver's seat, the noise sounds like its coming from the back, while in the passenger seat the noise sounds like its coming from up front. Maybe it's both! So far though, the noise only happens when the car bounces at maximum suspension travel at 50+ mph....guess I need to keep a mental map of when I should slow down :-P It seems to be mostly big dips in the road that cause it, rough roads/potholes/patches/melted blacktop haven't been a problem at any speed so far. I also can't reproduce the sound in my garage by bouncing the car.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Time to get it back in the air and look for any rubbing or marks.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Shudson105 View Post
    Spikito - interesting theory - my exhaust has only about an inch between it and my upper parhard bar after lowering. Is this why they make a panhard bar relocation kit?
    . Yes...and also for running different, larger exhaust systems so you have clearance
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

have you checked your bumps stops for the rear axle to see if they are worn?

if this is the case, then your rear axle would come into contact with the underside of the frame at higher speeds and more suspension travel.

OLD:

NEW:
    Last edited by SSwt00SS; 07-30-2013 at 09:43 AM.

Thread Information