pewter
    99 Trans Am

Need to know correct degree angle on rearend.

I need to know if anyone knows the correct rearend pinion yoke angle. I have bad vibration at 80 miles ph and above I have done everything I know to figure it out but no luck. had drive shaft checked and balanced,wheels checked and balanced,new brushens all around,new joints,and had axles checked.I checked the angle on the rearend and it showed level,but I thought that there is surpose to a 3 to 6 degree neg. so that the rear joints will not bind, and cause what I feel at 80 and above. need help BAD.It's in my 77 camaro.

White
    1998 Trans Am

I think it should be down 1.5 - 3.0 degree's...

White
    1998 Trans Am

Oh ya, make sure the wheels are on ramps or blocks, so the rear is up in the body for the adjustment...

Red
    1998 Camaro SS

Hmm yes your driveshaft angle should be some where between -1.5 to -3 for the street. I just don't see the driveshaft angle causing your problem tho??? What transmission do you have? Also have you checked your engine and transmission mounts?
    1998 Camaro SS Hard Coupe Bright Red #1593
    Mods: Lots!!, still my daily driver except for winter
    383rwhp 370rwft/lbs

1979 Corvette
    Mods Lots!!, weekend cruiser
    325rwhp and 320rwft/lbs

2007 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 (Yes its got a HEMI)
    Mods: Catback, BFI CAI, Winter daily driver

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

What part of the rear are you checking on? What is the angle of the tranny output shaft? Are the springs original in the rear? Do you have traction bars?

pewter
    99 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by vetteemt View Post
    Hmm yes your driveshaft angle should be some where between -1.5 to -3 for the street. I just don't see the driveshaft angle causing your problem tho??? What transmission do you have? Also have you checked your engine and transmission mounts?
    I have a 350 turbo And I have checked the trans mount and the engine mounts.I have gone as far as to change converters.If I disconnect the converter I get no vibration, this is with the car on stands.With the converter connected I get a bad vibration.Thats why I felt that it was in the Pinion angle. I have been told that there is noway it could be in the trans .So with me changing all this other stuff I have only the rearend angle left and I have just had it rebuilt, and I have just got it out of the shop a week ago. no change.The rearend needed to be rebuilt I did't do it hoping to solve the problem.
    Last edited by Street Fighter; 01-20-2009 at 02:58 PM.

pewter
    99 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by bigrondownhiller View Post
    What part of the rear are you checking on? What is the angle of the tranny output shaft? Are the springs original in the rear? Do you have traction bars?
    I am checking the rearend on the top yoke section of the rearend,where the joints fits in the cap.the rear springs are stock,and yes I have slapper bars on the rear.Read my reply up top to see what else I have done.The car is fast and fun to drive as long as I don't get over 80mph.With the driveshaft disconnected I can run the car on stands all the way up pass 130mph.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

You should use an angle finder on the face of the pinion where the ujoint goes with the car on level ground. Also check the tranmission with the driveshaft out. With stock springs you might be having a little sag changing the angle from stock. How are the snubbers on the slapper bars, are they touching at all with the car just sitting?

pewter
    99 Trans Am

You should use an angle finder on the face of the pinion where the ujoint goes with the car on level ground. Also check the tranmission with the driveshaft out. With stock springs you might be having a little sag changing the angle from stock. How are the snubbers on the slapper bars, are they touching at all with the car just sitting?
    no there is about 3/4 of and inch from spring . And I am using a angle finder. Do the car need to be on stands front and back or just back on stands ? I have been dealing with this problem for years this is the year I fix it or sell it.How do I check the trans? where do I put the angle finder?I have noticed that there are loose spring clamps on the springs also is this a problem? Just how many degrees off would cause this vibrating? Also when I got the bars I cut the snubbers about 1/2 inch so that they would not touch the leaf springs so that there would be some movement in the rearend, was this good or bad?
    Last edited by Street Fighter; 01-21-2009 at 02:51 AM.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Cutting the snubbers is fine. You dont want them to touch unless you are adding preload to the suspension. You have to pull the driveshaft and put the angle finder on the face of the tailhousing. Then do the face of the pinion and compare the two. Sounds like your springs are worn out. You can get shims from jegs or summit in 1 or 2 degree increments. You might just have to add a couple to compensate. It would be easier to have the whole car up on stands suspension loaded to check. You could just jack the rear suspension loaded but will take a little extra figuring.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

Quote Originally Posted by Street Fighter View Post
    I have a 350 turbo And I have checked the trans mount and the engine mounts.I have gone as far as to change converters.If I disconnect the converter I get no vibration, this is with the car on stands.With the converter connected I get a bad vibration.Thats why I felt that it was in the Pinion angle.
    when the converter is connected, is it in drive and the tires spinning in the air and you get the vibration or is the trans in park/neutral and you get the vibration?
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

pewter
    99 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by mrr23 View Post
    when the converter is connected, is it in drive and the tires spinning in the air and you get the vibration or is the trans in park/neutral and you get the vibration?
    The rear wheels are off the ground and the car is in drive. there is no vibration when in park.only at 80mph and beyond.other than that the car drives like a dream. but once you hit 80 the rear goes crazy.I checked pinion angles and I got about 3
    or 4 degrees on the trans and the rearend so they are pitched the same.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Is that the pitch is down on the trans and up on the rear? Do you have the suspension loaded when you check?

pewter
    99 Trans Am

Is that the pitch is down on the trans and up on the rear? Do you have the suspension loaded when you check?
    I had the front and the rear up on stands.I don't know if you would call that loaded or not, but they both read the same in degrees with my angle finder.I thought about something while I was under the car yesterday I saw where I added to the rear spring mounts and made them longer so that the rear of the car would set level with the front of the car.Could this be my problem? I have had this problem for a while and its been just as long since I did this.The front sat higher than the rear.What do you think?

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

So you had the stands holding up the axle and control arms. So you lengthened the shackles? That could be your problem. It will throw your angle off. I have the same problem in my tahoe. If you throw some new springs in there or buy shims to correct the angle it should be fine. Try lowering the rear to where it was and see if it goes away.

pewter
    99 Trans Am

So you had the stands holding up the axle and control arms. So you lengthened the shackles? That could be your problem. It will throw your angle off. I have the same problem in my tahoe. If you throw some new springs in there or buy shims to correct the angle it should be fine. Try lowering the rear to where it was and see if it goes away.
    I am hoping that the shackles are my problem.I ordered new ones and rubber bushens to go with them, I now have poly brushens.I wanted to see just how it will do with everything like it should be before I put the poly brushens back in.Wish me luck,I hope the shackles come soon. I'll let you know how they did. If they work you might just here me.

Thread Information