RED
    2002 Camaro SS

Need Help with Understeer

I have an '02 SS with the 1LE option. The car understeers on low speed corners, evidenced by squeeling front tires. I was following a Miata through a series of right and left low speed turns(1st & 2nd gear, 6 speed manual). The Miata was able negotiate these turns with no drama. My car is a 35th LE, so I want to leave to leave the hardware stock. I don't know the currect setting of the shocks, I've never touched them. I've "heard" that GM builds in understeer, I assume that's in its standard alignment settings.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

You are comparing your car to a much lighter and better handling car.

If you want your car to handle better you will have to invest in suspension mods. You could increase your negative camber and that would help it steer in better but it will also screw up your tire wear. If you soften the front shocks or stiffen the rear you will put more weight on the front tires also helping this. I have personally never tried this on anything but a race car but if your shocks are adjustable it should work and I would start by working with the rear first. You could also compensate for understeer with the throttle but that will cause some drama and oversteer but that can be fun in the right place at the right speed.

triple-black
    2000 CamaroSS convertible

disagree...
    getting negative will only help tire wear... stock alignment will wear the outside of the tires like a mofo, since GM made them look like this:
    \--------/
    instead of:
    /--------\

As for alignment, try getting
    castor: +4.5'
    toe: 0"
    camber: -0.5' to -1.0' or at least as much on the negative side as you can, if you can't go that far... some ppl can only get ~ -0.3' camber.
    Eugenio_SS
    almost stock triple-black 2000 SS convertible with 17x11s on all 4 w/ 315s at the track or on the street with 18x10.5s on all 4 w/ 315s: (1), (2)

RED
    2002 Camaro SS

Thank you for the replies, I'll try the alignment change. My car already has a hollow 35mm front and 21mm rear sway bar. The front springs are 360 in linear. I'm not sure what other suspension mods would assist handling, except perhaps a beefier panhard bar.

Does anyone have hands on experience with the da Konis?

Red
    1998 Camaro SS

First talk to Sam Strano, Making f-bodys handle is his thing.

For the front end suspension mods better upper and lower control arms, switching your suspension mounting points from bushings to spherical rod ends (allowing full articulation with out any binding of the suspension), better shocks, and there are better springs then the stockers, and better tires then stock would help. Also lowering the car a little well help by lowering the center of gravity of the car. Like Eugenio_SS said alignment is one of the easiest things you can do to a stock car to increase its handling.
    1998 Camaro SS Hard Coupe Bright Red #1593
    Mods: Lots!!, still my daily driver except for winter
    383rwhp 370rwft/lbs

1979 Corvette
    Mods Lots!!, weekend cruiser
    325rwhp and 320rwft/lbs

2007 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 (Yes its got a HEMI)
    Mods: Catback, BFI CAI, Winter daily driver

triple-black

Quote Originally Posted by u118224 View Post
    Thank you for the replies, I'll try the alignment change. My car already has a hollow 35mm front and 21mm rear sway bar. The front springs are 360 in linear. I'm not sure what other suspension mods would assist handling, except perhaps a beefier panhard bar.

Does anyone have hands on experience with the da Konis?
    I have Koni DAs on my car... and a 35 solid / 21 rear combo as well.
    what you want to know ?

triple-black

once your alignment is setup, you might even get into a situation where the car will be oversteering... lol
    what springs are you using ? I'm assuming you have the 1LE springs... is it correct ? (since you mentionned you had 1LE option)

RED
    2002 Camaro SS

Yes, stock 1LE springs are on the car. From what I've been able to find out, the front 1-LE springs are 360 # inch linear and the rears are 130-170 # inch progressive. Eugenio SS, have you adjusted your shocks? I have a tool to adjust the fronts, but I don't know how to adjust the rears. Any information would be appreciated.

triple-black

the bottom setting of the shocks just require a regular screw-driver.
    as for the top settings, the front requires a 2.5mm hex-key (if memory is correct) and you go by 1/4 turns.
    In the rear, there is a knob that came w/ the shocks... you have to go behind the rear seats.. I made a little cut on the carpet, giving me easy access to them. You simply need to turn the knob @ that point.

Trans Am owner
    former

to oversteer more, sitffen rear suspension, and loosen front.

opposite if you are too tail happy.

triple-black

Quote Originally Posted by nitrorustler41 View Post
    to oversteer more, sitffen rear suspension, and loosen front.

opposite if you are too tail happy.
    In spring rates, yes... shocks are supposed to be set to dampen the spring rate, not to act as springs by overdamping the system

Thread Information