Black
    1998 WS6 T/A

Need Help with rattling Strut

I had a noise in the front passengers side wheel area that seemed to be my passenger side strut. when i opened the hood and pushed down on the battery to rock the car i could hear the shock rattling and it sounded like it was hitting the top of the wheel well.

I replaced the shocks with new Monroes this weekend and the sound is still there. When I push on the car and get it rocking I can hear the shock hitting the top of the wheel well. When i took off my old shocks, I noticed the passengers side shock didn't have the boot that slides over the strut shaft, the strut mount had the metal piece that sits under the nut on top of the strut mount and the strut mount itself didn't look broken down or anything.

could the boot that's missing be the cause of the clunking noise? What is the name of that part and where can i get one?

I found this picture that shows the boot, the second pic is a pic of the shock mount that I took off. I believe the piece of metal is supposed to be the isolator, do i just need to replace this? The other side didn't have one of these and I dont have any issues on that side.

The shaft on the strut I took off had had stripped threads and the threads in the nut were stripped, otherwise the shock was still in good condition.
    Last edited by mike171562; 06-03-2010 at 06:45 AM.

Black
    1998 WS6 T/A

anyone?

Black
    1998 WS6 T/A

Turned out to be the upper strut mount, the rubber was split, but you couldn't see it unless you really looked close. It was allowing the strut shaft to move up and hit the top of the wheel well.

silver
    2000 formula

that metal peice in the second pic is supposed to be encased in rubber.....get a new 1

silver
    2000 formula

Navy Blue
    Chevrolet Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by mike171562 View Post
    Turned out to be the upper strut mount, the rubber was split, but you couldn't see it unless you really looked close. It was allowing the strut shaft to move up and hit the top of the wheel well.

Could you tell me what upper piece you bought to fix this issue? was it thepiece that attaches to the strut or the rubber piece in this picture http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1031983

i am having the same issue on the drivers side!

silver
    2000 formula

the isolator creates space in the mount cavity.......if the rubber disappers it will move around......and cause noise

Black
    1998 WS6 T/A

In my case it was not the isolator it was the actual rubber mount that mounts to the fender well. There is a ring inside it that is supposed to keep the shock in place and prevent it from rising up too far so it doesn't hit the inside of the fender well. The rubber around the ring was splitting and letting the shock rise up inside the mount, but it was really hard to see the split in the rubber.

I got a replace OEM mount from this person on E-Bay, he included the rubber isolator and the nuts and bolts

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/93-02...Q5fAccessories

I'm not sure what role the Rubber isolator plays, but my drivers side had an after market mount and there was no isolator at all when i took it off and that side never makes noise. Hope you get it straightened out that noise was driving me nuts.
    Last edited by mike171562; 08-16-2010 at 05:45 AM.

silver
    2000 formula

rubber takes a poo........maybe ES will make poly 1s

Thread Information