Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SOM
    2002 SS

Need help with Koni 4/4 Install and questions help

Ok I just got my 4/4s in the mail. they look good except the ends were sticking out of the box and I'm hoping they aren't damaged. Questions I have are:

Can anyone tell me what tools I need? I don't want to have this sucker apart after hours and then need a special tool or something for the job. I am thinking a spring compressor and a ball joint remover. Anything else?? I'l be doing it during the day so when I get the struts on there now off the car I plan to head to Canadian Tire (pepboys) and have them r/r the springs for me.

Also how are these adjusted? There is no tool but looks like there is a slot for one on the fronts and the rear have a little nipple on top ???

Any input is appreciated !!! Planning to do this tomorrow morning before work. They're going in with Ground control coil overs.

Here's the pics:

Box on arrival..looks like the rears are adjusted here just hope the box never landed on this side much in shipping..

Here's the shocks:

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 5abivt View Post
    Ok I just got my 4/4s in the mail. they look good except the ends were sticking out of the box and I'm hoping they aren't damaged. Questions I have are:

Can anyone tell me what tools I need? I don't want to have this sucker apart after hours and then need a special tool or something for the job. I am thinking a spring compressor and a ball joint remover. Anything else?? I'l be doing it during the day so when I get the struts on there now off the car I plan to head to Canadian Tire (pepboys) and have them r/r the springs for me.

Also how are these adjusted? There is no tool but looks like there is a slot for one on the fronts and the rear have a little nipple on top ???

Any input is appreciated !!! Planning to do this tomorrow morning before work. They're going in with Ground control coil overs.

Here's the pics:

Box on arrival..looks like the rears are adjusted here just hope the box never landed on this side much in shipping..
    Click for full size

Here's the shocks:
    Click for full size
    Click for full size

print these two links out

fronts
    rears

this will tell you everything you need.

now on the fronts..you can use a little hex or Allen wrench to adjust. I would suggest you adjust them before you mount them.

the rears should come with a white adjuster..looks like a oil cap almost...

no need to remove balljoints ...just take your time...overall it was very easy.

MAKE SURE THAT THE CANADIAN TIRE WHEN MOUNTING THE SPRINGS TO THE STOCKS TO MAKE SURE THE ADJUSTER IS FACING OUT AND NOT COVERED BY THE SPRING.

98' trans am

did you buy these used?
    mods- suncoast creations hood with functional lt1 style airbox, ls6 intake, QTP longtube headers, QTP ORY, UMI SFC, Adj. LCA with relo brackets, UMI adj. panhard bar, Koni SA and strano springs,Torq Thrust M 17s 9.5 and 10.5 with nitto 555Rs, tuned by Frost
    Quote Originally Posted by Modulistic View Post
    sometimes you get owned, sometimes you own.

SOM
    2002 SS

Thanks guys. Yes I bought these used. I had to cancel my order twice for Bilsteins since they were delayed and delayed again. These popped up for $500 so I jumped on them like super fast.

With regards to your spring adjuster... I guess I need to make sure which way the top mount is facing and to know where the adjustment slot is in relation to it before he puts the spring and mount on? Appreciate the input on that !

Also, people always talk about using the koni 'lower spring setting' on the front struts. Beats me what they're talking about unless its the rubber cushion that is removed for a 1/4 inch lower spring seat ?

SOM
    2002 SS

how are the rears adjustable? is it the little yellow nut?

98' trans am

Thanks guys. Yes I bought these used. I had to cancel my order twice for Bilsteins since they were delayed and delayed again. These popped up for $500 so I jumped on them like super fast.

With regards to your spring adjuster... I guess I need to make sure which way the top mount is facing and to know where the adjustment slot is in relation to it before he puts the spring and mount on? Appreciate the input on that !

Also, people always talk about using the koni 'lower spring setting' on the front struts. Beats me what they're talking about unless its the rubber cushion that is removed for a 1/4 inch lower spring seat ?
    are you using lowering springs or stock oem springs ?

98' trans am

how are the rears adjustable? is it the little yellow nut?
    yes. i would talk to the guy who sent you them..and ask for the adjuster

SOM
    2002 SS

I will definitely do that. Going to suck if I have to wait for it in the mail

I am using a new set of Ground control coil overs. I have heard there are issues with the front with fitment etc but I still need to figure that out as well I don't know what needs to me machined or something.

I currently have SPortline and Kybs. I almost hate to admit it but the car rides great and my laziness is telling me to just sell everything lol. I just hate starting to work on the car and having so many questions.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

The big thing for the front shocks was that when I tried to loosen the nut the assembly started to spin, I had to buy a strut tool to fit on the top of the shock so I could turn the nut w/ a wrench. No idea what that thing was called.

98' trans am

well you wont want to lower your konis to the lowest perch with lowering springs already on...so you dont have to worry about that. the shocks are most likely already adjusted to a good setting..the rears are usually ran at full soft or 1/2 -1 turn from full soft...so the adjuster doesnt need to be present during the install. the fronts are usually ran 3-5 sweeps from full soft ....so as they are used they will most likely be within that range.

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    The big thing for the front shocks was that when I tried to loosen the nut the assembly started to spin, I had to buy a strut tool to fit on the top of the shock so I could turn the nut w/ a wrench. No idea what that thing was called.
    i just zipped it right off with a air ratchet ...i was lucky

SOM
    2002 SS

Well stupid me I touched them for the first time giving them a brief cleaning. The black spring mount on the front struts looks like it loosens and comes off. I'll be slipping on the collar for the ground controls there with the adjustable spring perch.

do you guys think a giant crowbar will be enough to help separate the ball joint?

SOM
    2002 SS

Wel WTF im stuck. I asked around but nobody could tell me what exactly needed to be done. Called Ground control and props to customer service. Super fast and accurate I now know what i need to do. I need to try and get this Koni apart for now so the install wont even begin before I go into work today but here's some pics for you guys.

Heres the Konis and Ground control setup:

Here's the issue:

Here's what needs to come apart OR the top hat needs to be ground with a lathe so the sleeve can slide down the Koni.
    [IMG]http://img.photobucke

silver
    2000 formula

is there a allen head nut inside that koni hat? does that make it come off?

SOM
    2002 SS

Think the allen hole you are referring to is actually where it is adjusted. the hat is threaded on the shock shaft and underneath there is a not to lock it in place.
    I ended up Getting it off. Stopped by a small mechanic shoppe and he was kind enough to get it off cleanly and within 20 seconds all for a coffee for him and his employees

Here's where I am now, install will go forward tomorrow morning !!

98' trans am

Think the allen hole you are referring to is actually where it is adjusted.
    i know...that is what i said

SOM
    2002 SS

Quote Originally Posted by sjsingle1 View Post
    is there a allen head nut inside that koni hat? does that make it come off?
    Sorry thats who I meant that response for. I think sjsingle was thinking those holes held the cap on.

silver
    2000 formula

and i dont even own konis.......eldebrock coilovers here

SOM
    2002 SS

no offence to you. but eww anything edelbrock !!! Aren't they still building carbs and trying to get into the jap market??

silver
    2000 formula

they have a patent on their IAS shocks......not to shabby

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information