pewter
    99 Trans Am

Need better traction for my 77 camaro.

I have a 77 camaro with a hot 350 that I built some years ago, I need help with the traction. I have a lot of wheel hop when I come off the line, I have to get in and out of it to keep the wheels from hopping on the rear. I had a set of slapper bars on it but they did nothing to help it. I have street tires on the car because I drive it on the street,but sometime having fun I get in it and want to get on down the road with out worring about getting left because of wheel hopping.I have 275/60/15 BF Goodrich tires on the rear.What can I do to help this problem.I don't want slicks because of my 10 bolt rearend and the trac-lock I have in it. I don't think the trac-lock set up will handle the slicks.Help if you can.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Drop the air pressure in your rear tires, heat them up with a short burnout, unhook your front sway bar, air up your front tires to around 40 psi, consider swapping out your shocks for something that will work better on the track, maybe consider a set of Cal-Tracs in place of the slapper bars, and practice your launches. Wheel hop can break things in a hurry!

pewter
    99 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Drop the air pressure in your rear tires, heat them up with a short burnout, unhook your front sway bar, air up your front tires to around 40 psi, consider swapping out your shocks for something that will work better on the track, maybe consider a set of Cal-Tracs in place of the slapper bars, and practice your launches. Wheel hop can break things in a hurry!
    What is this Cal-tracs you are speaking of, what do it do, what is the cost and where can I find them.thanks for the reply.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Black
    2000 Trans Am

Are you still using the 35 yr old springs? Try a set of Global West springs:

http://www.globalwestperformance.com...ring-drop.html

or

http://www.globalwestperformance.com...ring-drop.html

They also have front springs.

I believe there are some composite leaf springs available that will also reduce wheel hop.
    Sent from Motorola Atrix using Tapatalk 2.
    Last edited by BadTA00; 06-14-2012 at 09:16 PM.
    2000 T/A-DMH Cutout, SLP Cold Air kit, FTRA/SLP Upgrade, SLP Bilstein, LT1 Eibach ProKit, Kuhmo PA31 Tires ,SLP Fan Switch, UMI Double Adj PHB w/ Roto-Joints, UMI LCARB, Strano 35/22mm Sway Bars , Magnecor KV85 Wires, Hurst Shifter, Lou's Short Stick.

pewter
    99 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by BadTA00 View Post
    Are you still using the 35 yr old springs? Try a set of Global West springs:

Chevorlet Camaro Leaf Springs

or

Chevorlet Camaro CAT5 Springs

They also have front springs.

I believe there are some composite leaf springs available that will also reduce wheel hop.
    Sent from Motorola Atrix using Tapatalk 2.
    still using the same old 35 year old springs, I had thought about up grading but did not know who made a good set of springs for my car. I don't know if I want to lower my car in the rear, it sits just the way I want it to level.Have to decide which way to go now springs or the cal-trac setup. Thanks for the infro

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

You can do both! A stiffer spring will "hold the tires" down to the ground better. Your 35 year old springs are likely "softer" than they once were. Calvert Racing also offers a sping upgrade, as do many other manufacturers. Just let them know that you are interested in maintaining your ride height and good track characteristics and they can set you up right.

pewter
    99 Trans Am

Thanks for the infro,i'll be looking into this setup plus another I have been told about on this board I Need to know which one is best for my setup. The other setup is a set of leaf springs that will lower my rear 1 and a quarter inches.I have just gotten the stance the way I wanted it level.so i'll have to think on that.

Thread Information