Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 NBM

My Lowering And Suspension Project

I started my spring suspension project last Thursday. I am putting on Bilstein HD shocks with Eibach LS1 Prokit. I am also installing UMI 2 point SFCs, adjustable PHB, LCAs with relocation brackets, front and rear sway bars and strut tower brace.

Got the front struts off. The driver side strut bolt busted right through the upper mount insulator. Had to get new insulators and upper strut mounts. Those will be going back on tomorrow.

I got the rear shocks and springs swapped out yesterday. Finished them Bout 2 am. Was pretty easy install, but I had to remove my 2 amps and subs to get to the shock bolts behind the seats.

Tonight I start on the sway bars.

Anybody know if the torq settings are the same for the Eibach shock nuts, as it is for the stock nuts?

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

It's gonna feel like a totally different car and the torque specs should be the same

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 NBM

Ok good. I kinda just tightened some stuff down where I thought it felt right. I think I need a better torque wrench. Maybe a nice snapon.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 NBM

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 NBM

Navy Blue, Dark Cherry
    98 M6 TA, 87 A4 TA

looking great, wish I had that WS6 hood and speedline rims, mine would look almost exactly the same, but being a Florida car I have little to no undercarrage corrosion and my paint is taking a beating.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 NBM

What I would give to have the undercarriage clean. I often look at it and think I should take it all apart, clean up rack part, paint it and clear coat. But I only think about it when I am under the car. Lately that's slot.

Navy Blue, Dark Cherry
    98 M6 TA, 87 A4 TA

Cool

Ya, I know what you mean, I used to live in upstate NY and had to deal with the messy undercarriage, now I have a decent undercarriage and need a paint job, rims, and would like a ram air hood, but headers + sub frame connectors come first.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 NBM

I just finished putting the front springs, struts and front sway bar in. Strut tower brace, PHB and LCA relocation brackets tomorrow and I can finally take her out. Can what to feel the difference. I haven't driven it since I started all the upgrades. I hear ya on the paint job. I wanted to get a bit of the work done on my car before I start on the body. Knowing me I will cratch it.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 NBM

I finally finished my suspension and she handles great. My car does not drive as smooth as my wifes traverse, with the new bilsteins, but handles the pot holes and bumpy roads a million times better. I can speed around corners with little to no roll. I am very happy with my suspension and chasis choices. What to do next. Maybe I should replace the rear axle. Or maybe I should start adding hp. I don't know. My car is pretty low now. I scraped the undercarriage the first time I took it out. There are a lot of places I can't go now.

Navy Blue, Dark Cherry
    98 M6 TA, 87 A4 TA

Awesome, grats on completing the project. Is the 4-26-11 pic of your car after the lowered suspension or before? Love to see pix of after (if the pix is before).

Again jealous of your beautiful car and I'm sure jealous of it's ride also now, Mine is finally getting headers and motor mounts this weekend , SFC and adjustable Torque arm will be next I think.

Enjoy the ride
    Last edited by TransAmX2; 05-23-2011 at 04:47 AM.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 NBM

Thanks. Actually I took it in to get an alignment and my inner and outer tie rods were frozen together. I had to replace them today. Pretty easy though. 2 hours and $250 in parts. Belle tire wanted $750. At belle tire now. They just got her aligned. About to take her on the freeway and give her a true test. Are you doing catback as well? What kind of headers?

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 NBM

Sorry haven't posted completed pics. Have two kids, run a business and my wife is in her residency. Time is hard to come by. I will post some pics soon for anyone who wants to see.
    Diablo Sport Predator Performance Tune | TB Bypass | Bilstein HD Shocks | Eibach Pro Kit | UMI SFC | UMI Rear LCA's and brackets | UMI adj PHB, UMI Front/Rear Sway Bars |UMI Strut Tower Brace | SLP Lid | SLP Loud Mouth with quad tips | High output alt

Navy Blue, Dark Cherry
    98 M6 TA, 87 A4 TA

Quote Originally Posted by j nix View Post
    Are you doing catback as well? What kind of headers? .
    TSP headers and ORY (like the headers, not the Y), no new cat back, I am re-using my flowmaster 3" cat back.
    I'd like to replace it but I think I will be doing a 9" rear at somepoint so I figure rather than spending the $ on a cat back now on an exhaust I will just cut up again once I get a 9", I'll just wait and do a new catback once I get the 9" in.

I will post some pics soon for anyone who wants to see.
    great, look forward to it.
    Last edited by TransAmX2; 05-22-2011 at 04:46 PM.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 NBM

That's smart. I want to replace my rear end too. Not quite there yet either. Trying to figure out the best way to get all the scratches and blemishes out of the paint s I can use my zaino products I bought last year. Same thought process you were saying. I don't want to wax and polish a car that hasnt been buffed out or wet sanded.

Navy Blue, Dark Cherry
    98 M6 TA, 87 A4 TA

That's smart. I want to replace my rear end too. Not quite there yet either. Trying to figure out the best way to get all the scratches and blemishes out of the paint s I can use my zaino products I bought last year. Same thought process you were saying. I don't want to wax and polish a car that hasnt been buffed out or wet sanded.
    ya, I think i'm screwed there, I don't think I have enough clear coat left to wet sand/buff any more. Thinking about getting a buffer and trying, but not holding my breath. The Florida sun has a tendancy to really cook paint jobs, especially on dark cars. I'm not going to think about possible paint job untill after I get chasis and suspension beefed up.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 NBM

Quote Originally Posted by TransAmX2 View Post
    ya, I think i'm screwed there, I don't think I have enough clear coat left to wet sand/buff any more. Thinking about getting a buffer and trying, but not holding my breath. The Florida sun has a tendancy to really cook paint jobs, especially on dark cars. I'm not going to think about possible paint job untill after I get chasis and suspension beefed up.
    I priced out paint jobs here and they were talking $6k to $10k. Hoping I can do a really good detail. I know what you mean. I live in Michigan, so your paint is faded and my undercarriage us rusted.

Navy Blue, Dark Cherry
    98 M6 TA, 87 A4 TA

I priced out paint jobs here and they were talking $6k to $10k. Hoping I can do a really good detail. I know what you mean. I live in Michigan, so your paint is faded and my undercarriage us rusted.
    I'll build my own paint booth and paint it myself before I pay 6-10k.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 NBM

That's awesome. I don't have much confidence with doing that. Maybe I should pay you to paint mine. Lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information