Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Monroe Shocks/Struts

Hello all,

My shocks/struts are shot (cars making noises when braking from the lack of dampening) on my '02 WS6 and the shop wants to replace them with Monroe's. I know that they are a reputable damper manufacturer, but what do you guys think about them for my application. I would like to at least have the factory level performance, if not better. As some of you know, I do want to beef this car up down the road, but I am kind of tight on cash at the moment as well.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Guess it depends on what your budget is and how much you are paying the shop to do this work. If you did it yourself, with the money you save from the install you could put that towards getting better shocks; Bilsteins. They are relatively inexpensive for the performance gain you receive. I've heard of Monroe, but don't have any firsthand experience with them.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

I don't have the tools, location, and time to do them right now. Its at a Mr. Tire right now. They have been pretty good to me with stuff in the past that I couldn't do myself. though. How widely available are Bilsteins?

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

I have them trying to source Bilstein and KYB but I dont know how much better KYBs are vs Bilsteins

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I wouldn't get KYB. The people who have them say KYB stands for Keeps You Bouncing. Bilsteins should be available through numerous avenues. Some of our site sponsors might even carry them. Sam Strano sells them too I believe.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

They ended up getting some Bilsteins. Its more than I want to spend, but given the options... i held off on a fuel pump, the fuel gage fluctuates when its below half,they say both Are one unit @ &1200. they say its one peice and that the pump would fail soon after the gage gets wonky. I think its probably on the mechAnical side of the gage though

Yeah if you have a gauge issue, then you'll have to buy the entire bucket assembly which I'm certain will always come with the fuel pump intact (they do around here anyway). If not you should replace the pump anyway while you're in there and just do it all.

From what I found when I was looking around, I could get a decent Bosch replacement bucket/sender/pump assembly from Napa for around $500. The dealer was $700 for an OEM unit.

You could get off alot cheaper if you didn't have a sending unit issue and just replace the pump itself. I went with a racetronix setup for under $200. My sending unit/bucket was fine.

So considering the prices for the complete bucket/pump setup, $1200 doesn't sound horrible to pay a shop to replace it all considering the work involved and the shop labor rates nowadays.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

I believe you can get a replacement sender for 99 up. Not easy to find but much cheaper than a whole assembly. Would still recommend a new pump while you're in there.
    Those bilsteins are going to be a nice step up

The sender is part of the entire bucket assembly (it was in my 2000)

I assume that is what you mean Tator. But sounds like you've found that setup minus the fuel pump?? I always thought that would be possible but for some reason around here it's sold with a pump included. However you can buy a fuel pump seperate if that's all you need

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    The sender is part of the entire bucket assembly (it was in my 2000)

I assume that is what you mean Tator. But sounds like you've found that setup minus the fuel pump?? I always thought that would be possible but for some reason around here it's sold with a pump included. However you can buy a fuel pump seperate if that's all you need
    Had a sender go bad on my 98 and tried to get just that part, I believe lonnies sells it for every other year but 98 which is the oddball year. From what I remember it was seperate but a quick call to them would confirm that. Either way like was stated earlier, definitely wouldn't hurt to drop a new pump in at the same time for price of mind
    Last edited by tatertot91; 05-12-2014 at 06:36 AM.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    I wouldn't get KYB. The people who have them say KYB stands for Keeps You Bouncing. Bilsteins should be available through numerous avenues. Some of our site sponsors might even carry them. Sam Strano sells them too I believe.
    I have the KYB adjustables and don't have any problems with them.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

I wonder if the KYBs sold for LS1s are the same as the Lt1s and the LS bounciness is due to 60 less pounds and a different spring set

My LT1 vert was actually lighter than my LS1 T-top by 50 lbs. My LS1 vert was only 60 lbs heavier than my LS1 T-top.

I think alot of the differences could be contributed to Z28 verses SS since the SS cars had vastly different spring rates and sway bar size differences which would certainly require a different shock. Matter of fact, my SS's do have different factory shocks installed compared to the Z28 I had. I'm sure that has to do with the suspension differences.

But these aftermarket companies now like to conglomerate things to keep inventory down or production costs down. Once size fits all, lol. Getting harder to find specific parts to fit specific applications anymore.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Well, when they went to mount the Bilsteins, they noticed my upper ball joints and strut mounts were shot as well (I saw them, they were bad). The upper control arms have a fair amount of rust on them, but will live long enough for me to save up for some tubular control arms (upper and lower). Apparently, there is a problem with our cars that water leaks into the upper control arm area worse than other models. The ride and handling is much better now.

The next step is to get my hands on an extra set of wheels and some snow tires for the winter and wait until spring for a set of killer summer tires (maybe some Eagle F1 GSD3's, I loved them on my '89 T/A). Then some SFC's (maybe moving this ahead to this summer).

Thread Information