Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

Exclamation Lowering my SS, do I need new shocks/struts?

Hi, still fairly new to LS1.com and I am interested in lowering it 1.5" or so. I had a previous 95 Z28 but i have never messed with lowering an F-Body. When I purchase lowering springs can i still use the factory shocks/struts? anyone with experience or knowledge, you advice would be helpful.

Black, Blue
    07 TBSS, 07 GSXR1000

If it has over 50k on it then yes. It will ride better with aftermarket shocks and struts. I went with KYB AGX's and the Eibach pro kit.
    3 inch Chambered Catback.

SOM
    02 Z28

I went with the Eibach pro kit and bilsteins, no complaints here. It looks like it sits a little lower in the back, but after it settled it sits perfect.
    Last edited by 5letr; 03-08-2006 at 02:09 PM.
    2002 SOM Z28 MN6
    Full bolt-ons + cam
    421rwhp/385rwtq (413/377 SAE)
    PICS http://community.webshots.com/user/5letr

Drive it like ya stole it sills1's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 Camaro SS

Most of the F-body's come with crap shocks. Some came with deCarbon shocks from the factory, as mine did. There were a few SS models that came with upgraded suspensions but that was an option that normally was not used unless someone ordered the car. I would highly recommend changing the shocks at the same time you change springs. If you are wanting to save money, then you are in for a rough ride. The shocks on your car now are not made for lowering springs. If anything, get adjustable Koni's. While they cost more up front, you will be glad you spent the money in the long run. There is no need to have your car drive like a Tank when you can avoid it.

The above information came from Sam Strano. The man is a genius when it comes to F-Body suspension. Sam Strano
    John
    Come by and check out my 2000 SS
    Click here
    FQuick Site

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

Guys...how much did the Pro Kit lower your ride? My car only has 21k currently as a daily driver. besides it riding lower, what about body roll with a t-top car in hard cornering? Bid "D" impressive looking car, do you have a side shop that i can see how your car sits?

triple-black
    2000 CamaroSS convertible

Quote Originally Posted by SSwt00SS
    Guys...how much did the Pro Kit lower your ride? My car only has 21k currently as a daily driver. besides it riding lower, what about body roll with a t-top car in hard cornering? Bid "D" impressive looking car, do you have a side shop that i can see how your car sits?
    Pix from the link in my sig is with Prokits.
    I now don't have them anymore, went with coil-overs.
    Eugenio_SS
    almost stock triple-black 2000 SS convertible with 17x11s on all 4 w/ 315s at the track or on the street with 18x10.5s on all 4 w/ 315s: (1), (2)

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

can you tell me about those tires you put on the rear? i currently have Nitto Drags 315/35/17, 100 AA treadwear. i looked over yuor pics but couldnt make out the brand of tire or any other info. do you have any links to the specs and prices of that tire? thanks. nice ride. love the quad-tip. i had that on my 95Z28 before i sold it for my 2000SS.

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

I say go with the adjustable Koni's. I went with the Pro-kit and AGX shocks, but would do the Koni's if I had to do it over. I agree with sills1 give Sam a call. I still thought I had to much body roll so I just ordered Strano Parts sway bar kit. I can't wait to get it in and install it!

triple-black
    2000 CamaroSS convertible

Quote Originally Posted by SSwt00SS
    can you tell me about those tires you put on the rear? i currently have Nitto Drags 315/35/17, 100 AA treadwear. i looked over yuor pics but couldnt make out the brand of tire or any other info. do you have any links to the specs and prices of that tire? thanks. nice ride. love the quad-tip. i had that on my 95Z28 before i sold it for my 2000SS.
    Tire is a Yokohama A032R R-compound tire. 60 of threadwear.
    It's a bit stickier as the Nitto's but WAY better on wet, not to mention that it has a stiffer sidewall that is meant for cornering.
    Check Yokohama website.
    Thanks for the compliments
    btw... same tires and wheels front and rear.

Slomaro

White w/ black stripes
    1991 Camaro

Need, no. Recommended, yes. I replaced my stock shocks/struts with Monroes before I got into handling. About 10-15k miles later, got a Pro-Kit.... Changed the rear to Koni Yellows last week and the pretty new Monroes were DEAD. I am talking killed. Very easy to compress, and almost no recoil. I would say get at least some upgrade to the stock, and would recommend Konis. Expensive, but worth in my opinion.
    The Pro-kits are a very nice set, but I wished I had spent some more and got something a little better.
    Click for full size

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

if you only want a 1.5" drop, then dont get the pro-kit. the bmr springs should lower you about 1". Id advise against the KYB's..not a good shock. Decide exactly how much of a drop you want, then look at springs. Once you've settled on a set of springs, you then find a set of shocks that match the spring rate and what you want out of them. an adjustable panhard bar would also be a smart thing to do since the rear will shift once you lower it. Hope this helps.
    Nino

Midnight Blue Metalic
    2000 SS

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Black Trans-Am
    I say go with the adjustable Koni's. I went with the Pro-kit and AGX shocks, but would do the Koni's if I had to do it over. I agree with sills1 give Sam a call. I still thought I had to much body roll so I just ordered Strano Parts sway bar kit. I can't wait to get it in and install it!
    I just ordered the AGX shocks to go with my Hotchkis springs. Why didn't you like them? I was going to go with the revalved Bilsteins but wanted to save some money (saving for a house). But, if those shocks aren't worth it I liked too know before I put them on.

Thread Information