Thread: Lowering my SS

Drive it like ya stole it sills1's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 Camaro SS

Lowering my SS

Not only do I plan on replacing the wheels on my car, evident by the poll I placed here in the appearance forum, but I'm also looking at lowering my car. I've been reading up on different combinations and I've come to the conclusion that there are too many to choose from. I have no previous experience with lowering an F-Body, so I am looking to those of you who have for some advice. Price isn't necessarily a problem, so let me know what is the best in your opinion. I need springs and shocks. Thanks for the input.
    John
    Come by and check out my 2000 SS
    Click here
    FQuick Site

Mystic Teal
    1998 Z28 M6

As far as shocks, pretty much anything by Koni is going to be good. Bilsteins are very high quality as well. If you want adjustability, Koni's are the way to go, but they are REALLY expensive. (about $250 for front fitment and $175 for the rear) .

As far as springs: the general concensus around here is to go with the Eibachs. The Pro-Kit advertises 1.5" drop in the front and 1.3" in the rear. It's more like just a shade over and inch in the front, and a shade under in the rear. The Eibach Sportlines are nice too, but they do actually lower the car the advertised 1.75" which could be a little much, especially if you have long tubes that hang real low. Both kits are around $200.

If you lower the car, you're definately going to want to do tubular LCA's and relocation brackets. Panhard bar and torque arm wouldn't be a bad idea either, and you can never go wrong with sway bars. Might as well replace the bushings too. Subframe connectors (if you don't already have them) make a huge difference as well as a tower brace.

Bottom line: my dream setup for a well-rounded car would be Koni Adjustable shocks front and rear, Eibach Pro-Kit springs, Spohn control arms, panhard bar, torque arm, SFC's, sway bars, relocation brackets, and polyurethane bushings all around.

All of that ^ together is about $2500 plus shipping from LMperformance.com
    Last edited by jimbo98z; 03-01-2006 at 07:09 AM.

Pewter
    2000 Camaro SS

Thanks for the info. I've been reading up on it as you could imagine and that sounds like a good setup to me.

Anyone else have something to add, change, or agree with that?

Black, Blue
    07 TBSS, 07 GSXR1000

I just lowered my car with KYB AGX adjustables shocks, prokit, weld in relocation brackets, and I love the way it looks.
    3 inch Chambered Catback.

Pewter
    2000 Camaro SS

I just got off the phone after talking to Sam Strano. The guy knows his F-body's.

Sam Strano-Owner Strano Performance Parts
    2 time SCCA Solo2 National Champion
    2002 SCCA ProSolo Series National Champion
    814-849-3450 tech
    800-729-1831 orders
    www.stranoparts.com

I only want to drop my car about an inch. He gave me some advice that will probably come in handy to many people with that same desire.

He told me that I could get about 3/4 of an inch just by changing the shocks to Koni adjustables and removing an alignment spacer from the rear. I plan on having him lower my car for me the next time I pass through Texas. The price for the Koni adjustables that he told me about was $705.00 or I could spend $650-$800 for Eibach prokit springs and some other shocks that aren't the same quality as the Koni's, such as Bilstein's or KYB's. He went on to say that the ride would be far better without changing the springs.

I just thought I would let everyone know what he told me. Send him an email or call him up, he seemed very willing to help out with any info needed.

Thread Information