Thread: Lowering

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 NBM

Lowering

Besides the different stance, are there any performance benefits to lowering our car? And what downsides are there, like exhaust scrape etc...?

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by j nix View Post
    Besides the different stance, are there any performance benefits to lowering our car? And what downsides are there, like exhaust scrape etc...?
    well yes it will cause you exhaust to scrape some on the speed bumps. I will make your suspension stiffer. I only lowered the front. Remember that if you lower it you need to get it alignment.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

you can not simply lower the car and consider it done. to truly notice an performance improvement you must also replace all non adjustable rear suspension pieces. these include adjustable lower control arms, lower control arm relocation bracket, adj. panhard bar on car adjustable, adj. torque arm (this requires some thought tho..you need to figure out what you want from the car...if you are into hpe and or autox get the long arm torque arm with the relocation bracket. if you are heavy into drag racing then the short arm kit is your cup of tea...if you are a weekend warrior with a little of both..it is up to you on your tolerance of road noise and vibration), and an optional buy is the panhard relocation bracket ..this one is really up to you..a added benefit is the ability to run larger exhaust pipe out the back with the relo bracket. this will get the power to the ground and give you better handling.

Pewter
    1999 Camaro SS-M6 #1775

^^^ everything he said plus you wanna do shocks, and if to want it to handle the corners really well then upgrade the swaybars
    1999 Camaro SS/ Pewter/ #1775 - LS1 6-speed - Predator 3 Custom Tune - Pro 5.0 - LS7 Clutch - 3.90's - Koni's - Strano Springs and Sway Bars - SFC's - Full UMI Chassis and Suspension - LS6 Intake PnP TB - ARH LT's and Kitty Ran Away - Magnaflow.

12.6 at 112

http://www.fquick.com/Tyler_LS1

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

you'll need to have the rear centered, alignment done, and you'll need control arm relocation brakets... my worst problem isn't hittin my exhaust... it's the nose scraping driveways..

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 NBM

Thanks for the good info. So what I got from that is that besides the better stance, it makes the suspension stiffer. I know I have to change the suspension, I am trying to decide if I should go with Strano springs and Koni shocks to lower or keep the stock springs and do Bilstein shocks and keep the height.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 NBM

I believe i want to build it or autox. I wont be doing any drag racing that i can see in the future. I garage it during the winter and mostly drive it hard on the street when ever i get a chance. I need to rebuild the suspension. It squeeks pulling in and out o driveways and it feels like i am hurting my wheels with how hard it hits on small pot holes. I do know that i am going to do Strano hollow sway bars, hollow shock tower brace, UMI 2 point sfc, UMI on car double adjustable PHB with poly bushings and roto joint, (i am debating lower control arms and relo brackets) and long arm adjustable torque arm. Does that sound like a good plan. I am looking for opinions on additions or deletions from my list. Any help would be great. Hoping the weather will break soon and i can get started.

red
    2000 Z28

I have Bilstein's with stock springs and I'm very happy with them.They made a noticeable difference over the stock shocks (which suck even brand new). The adjustable suspension parts are neccessary on lowered cars to recenter the rear (with the adj. PHB) side to side. Adjustable LCA's aren't absolutely required unless you've got clearance issues from monster wheels and tires. The non-adjustable LCA's will help with wheelhop as the eliminate the flex from the stock stamped steel LCA's. I don't have any experience with Strano's swaybars, but since you're interested in autoX, he's used those to win national SCCA titles, although I'm sure there was a little driver involvement there.

And I'd skip the shock tower brace. I don't think there is a huge load on the towers.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by tremiles; 03-03-2011 at 05:29 PM.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 NBM

gotcha. Glad to hear there is a noticable difference with just switching the shocks to Bilsteins. So if i dont lower the car, i dont need any adjustable suspension parts? If i dont go adjustable, should i still upgrade the parts?

red
    2000 Z28

If your rear is centered, I don't think you need adjustable LCA's/PHB but my car is 100% street driven so other than shocks and UMI 2 pt. SFCs I haven't done any additional upgrades yet.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 NBM

I heard that our cars rear end is off center from the factory. Don't know if it is true. Even street driven, won't sways help?

red
    2000 Z28

They are my next upgrade, but shocks and SFC's were my first priority.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

I believe i want to build it or autox. I wont be doing any drag racing that i can see in the future. I garage it during the winter and mostly drive it hard on the street when ever i get a chance. I need to rebuild the suspension. It squeeks pulling in and out o driveways and it feels like i am hurting my wheels with how hard it hits on small pot holes. I do know that i am going to do Strano hollow sway bars, hollow shock tower brace, UMI 2 point sfc, UMI on car double adjustable PHB with poly bushings and roto joint, (i am debating lower control arms and relo brackets) and long arm adjustable torque arm. Does that sound like a good plan. I am looking for opinions on additions or deletions from my list. Any help would be great. Hoping the weather will break soon and i can get started.
    sounds like shocks to me

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 NBM

Shocks and sfc to start. I was thinking of going with UMI 2 point sfc. I dont drag so i thought 3 point wouldnt be necessary and 2 point wont change my clearance. As far as shocks. Can anybody give me food for thought on going with Strano Springs and konis or stock springs and Bilsteins? I cant emagine what the differences would be to know which way i want to go. I dont want to do Bilsteins and then wish i lowered it. I dont want to lower it, then wish i left it up. Any help would be appreciated. I want to order some parts. Also if i did Bilsteins. Should I go with SLP or HD?

red
    2000 Z28

The SLP Bilsteins supposedly valved to match their lowering springs which are about a 3/4" drop. If you're going to get Strano springs but don't want to spend $700+ for the Koni's, the SLP Bilstein's are your next best choice.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 NBM

My T/A has 115k miles on it. If i am upgrading my shocks, should I change my stock springs or will they last another 75k miles?

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

My T/A has 115k miles on it. If i am upgrading my shocks, should I change my stock springs or will they last another 75k miles?
    if youre going to do autox i would think ud want to lower it for better handling.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 NBM

I am looking for great handling. I was looking for someone to tell me I would get that out of lowering it. Didn't know that till now, makes sense. A little more thought and I will decide which way to go. I want to order my parts this weekend. I will post pictures of the swapping of suspension for anyone who might be interested.

Thread Information