Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Lower control and torque Arm

I don't know much about suspension so I need some help. My gf just got me UMI on car adj phb and I am looking into getting UMI sfc and lower control arms. What I have read is that unless I plan on getting drag radials, which I don't plan on doing, I don't need adj lca. Would there be any other reason why I need to get adj lca? Secondly is it a must to get torque arm first before lca?

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

You sir have a great GF!!!

The other reason for adjustable LCA's are for lowering the ride height. If you know you'll never get DR or lower the ride height then the fix LCA's are perfect for you.

Your 2nd question:

No you do not need to get the TA prior to LCA's or even the PHB. You can purchase one at a time or all together and install as you get them. But as you get them you will notice a difference.

You can see in my signature my suspension mods, with the exception to the SFC's and STB I got the PHB, LCA, and TA with relocate kit at the same time. When combined with the other stuff like the SFC's, STB, and Hotchkins springs I notice one hell of a difference in handling. All I have left is the sway bars (front & rear and then the front end and I'll be done.

Torque Arm Suggestions - If/when you plan on getting this I highly recommend getting the full length TA with the relocation kit. The kit replaces the transmission cross over mount and relocates the TA clam mount off the tail cone of the transmission. Even under stock power it can break the tail cone during a hard launch.

One more thing, any question just call the guys at UMI. Great guys that go out of the way to answer any questions.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/my-6-liter-build-174257/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

6.0L Block - Forged 403ci , Polluter Stg3 Cam, FAST 102mm Intake, NW102 TB, MSD wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Truck Coil Packs, LS3 Fuel Injectors, CC Pacesetter LT Headers, TS&P ORY, QTP e-Cutout, Magnaflow Muffler, 104mm Air Lid & Line Lock, Catch Can, Stage 2 T56 w/Viper shaft, PRO 5.0 Shifter, Tick MC, SPEC Stg3+ Clutch, QT SFI BH, MWC DSL, Full UMI Performance Suspension, Belstein Shocks, Hotchkis Springs (1" Drop), YR1 Snowflake Wheels wrapped in NT555 tires & Custom Fab Ford 8.8 rear w/Wavetrac Diff 3.73 Yukon Gears, WSQ Hood, 3"CM Strange Eng Drive Shaft.

00 FB Vert - Stock

78 FB - Just getting started......

Horsepower never lies, but is often lied about!

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I run fixed LCA's with relocation brackets with drag radials.....does just fine and cuts 1.6x short times. Lowering is where you really want the adjustable LCA's. The adj. torque arm is more beneficial for racing so you can set your pinion angle.

Navy Blue Metallic

Damn it I forgot to add that about the TA too.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I'm lowered and run a non-adjustable LCA. No issues running a drag radial. I think the only time you need an adjustable LCA is if you plan on running a SLICK.

However, you'll want an adjustable torque arm if lowered like Orion mentioned since lowering affects your pinion angle.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

No need for adj lcas in my opinion unless you're running taller tires. I have fixed ones and run 26" slicks with no issues. I recommend a full legnth torque arm also but I hate the relocation crossmembers.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    No need for adj lcas in my opinion unless you're running taller tires. I have fixed ones and run 26" slicks with no issues. I recommend a full legnth torque arm also but I hate the relocation crossmembers.
    What he means by this is the bracket which the front of the torque arm mounts to when you get one that mounts off the tailshaft of the transmission, which is where the stock torque arm mounts to.

Most of the aftermarket cross-members sit pretty low and when lowered, some even scrap over speed bumps and going up steep drive-ways.

I had the same issue with my BMR Trak Pak set-up, but I was able to have a fabricator heat up my cross-member bar where it sat low and bent it upward so it's a solid bar with no dip now.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    What he means by this is the bracket which the front of the torque arm mounts to when you get one that mounts off the tailshaft of the transmission, which is where the stock torque arm mounts to.

Most of the aftermarket cross-members sit pretty low and when lowered, some even scrap over speed bumps and going up steep drive-ways.
    i just hate them cause of the noise and vibration.

Navy Blue Metallic

I do plan on lowering it at some point and I just bought new tires that are original size so I won't be getting taller ones, dr or slicks. I will get the UMI torque arm with relocation brackets but I want to get the sfc (UMI) first and getting both of them together will cost too much. That's why I was going with the lca because they aren't that much more. So now I'm torn which one to get lol, good points for both ways. I'm not going to get it lowered until at least next year. I would need to get new shocks with them so I am going to hold off on that.

Navy Blue Metallic

A build is always dictated by the budget. No getting around that.

I did my SFC's first. I had no body flex marks when I got her and wanted to make sure I didn't in future endeavors. So getting them is one of the first things I always recommend even if the car is never going to the track. It's just something these cars should have had from the factory.

So get what you can with what you can afford at the time, that 's what I have to do.

This is what I have for my setup from UMI (all have Poly bushings):

SFC's 2 point weld on, Part # 2001
    Torque Arm Adjustable Part # 2205
    Torque Arm Relocate Kit, Part # 2207
    LCA's On car adjustable with roto joint, Part # 2039
    PHB On car adjustable with roto joint, Part # 2037
    STB, Part # 2005

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

If your lowering, get the adjustable. You don't the double adjustable with roto joints, just get the single adjustable poly. I'm sure Umi would tell you the same, but contact them anyways, they respond fast and are very friendly.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Navy Blue Metallic

Good! those are the ones i was going to get if i went adj. I decided to go suspension first before I started adding power. I say get the most out of what you already have, but that's just me. Money is an issue, as it is for most. Figure I can get sfc and lca for half of what it would cost for sfc and torque arm with relocation brackets. Then I really missed out since umi just raised the price on the sfc. I knew I should have got them last year. Oh well that's what you get when you procrastinate

Navy Blue Metallic

Keep an eye out, UMI will always post on here when they have sales. I know from past sales have been around July 4th, Thanks Giving, Christmas through New Years, and a few other holidays.

Thread Information