Thread: lose control?

delinquent543

lose control?

basically my problem occurs when im going fast into a turn (say on a highway) and i hit a pothole or a bump. my car then proceeds to hit the bump and turn further into the turn resulting in my having to dramatically correct it or else i will crash...put bluntly, the car almost loses control mid turn if i hit a bump. im not sure what this is called so i couldnt search, but does anyone have a fix for this? the car is all stock 2000 ws6 a4 (65k on the clock).

Dark blue metallic
    2000 TransAm

Quote Originally Posted by delinquent543
    basically my problem occurs when im going fast into a turn (say on a highway) and i hit a pothole or a bump. my car then proceeds to hit the bump and turn further into the turn resulting in my having to dramatically correct it or else i will crash...put bluntly, the car almost loses control mid turn if i hit a bump. im not sure what this is called so i couldnt search, but does anyone have a fix for this? the car is all stock 2000 ws6 a4 (65k on the clock).
    It's called bump steer and it seems to be a problem for any car with a stiff suspension that has limited wheel travel. Baer (the brake people) make anti-bump-steer tie rod ends which are supposed to cure the problem. I'm going to get a set for when I need to rebuild my front end. I don't know if they're hype or cure, but they hopefully can't be any worse than stock tie rod ends.

Dark blue metallic
    2000 TransAm

Also, is your wheel alignment correct? Are your shocks or front end components worn and need replacement? There can be many causes of bump steer.....

delinquent543
    yeah, all my suspention is stock and combine that with 65k miles and new england roads/weather.. my suspention cant be all that good. thanks for the replies, im glad im not the only one. it had me concerned that something was seriously wrong

Thread Information