Red
    1998 Camaro Z28

List your suspension mod's and effects

To all the newbs looking at doing their suspension. Each person is different when it comes to the suspension on their F-body. I wanted a tight suspension set-up cause I like taking curves. I know there are way better set-ups out there for twisties, but to each thier own. This thread is here to help you decide on what to buy for your suspension. Feel free to send anyone in this thread a PM if you have questions about their suspension items.

DMS Lowering Springs: Lowered car about 1½ inches and stiffened u the ride
    KYB Shocks: Stiff shock adding with the springs to stiffen up the ride.
    BMR Lower Control Arms: Elimated wheel hop after lowering
    Relocation Brackets: Relocated the LCA to keep the LCA parallel to the ground to eliminate as much wheel hop as possible
    Suspension Tech. 35mm Front Sway bar: Kept the front wheels planted on the ground while going through turns
    BMR Subframe Connectors Another modification that will stiffen up your car. A must for t-top and convertable F-bodies
    Last edited by uLs1a; 08-07-2005 at 08:33 PM.
    Chris
    1998 Camaro Z28

Click Here For Modifications

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

First mods were BMR SFC & LCA- Did them at the same time and I couldn't believe the diff. on the ride home. SFC really tightened the underside of the car and the LCA eliminated all wheelhop issues I had. SFC helped reduce some rattles too.

1LE 32mm FSB with poly bushings-Replaced my 30mm stock bar and body roll was reduced slightly in turns, car planted a little bit harder when going around hard curves.

Bilstein HD shocks-WOW! Shoulda been done along time ago. After much talk with EugenioSS and Sam Strano I had these put on my 60k miles daily driver and the diff. was astounding! Launched better at lights, held tighter when cornering, steering became more responsive because I had better control when changing lanes or hitting curves. These shocks also absorb alot of the annoying squeaks and rattles the car had before. Great mod!

BMR PHR- Cheap easy mod, only noticeable when I would hit the curves hard, the first few days I could tell the rear was holding the road stiffer, after a few days it wore off and became old hat.
    '00 Black Ram Air TA TR224/224 PRC 5.3 59cc Heads
    Pacesetter LT ORY Hooker CB 414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    BMR PHR, SFC,LCA & TM. Bilstein HD shocks 1LE FSB
    Firehawk Rims w/KDW Custom Headrests & Floormats

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

Talking

Damn Chris, your doing alot to the car

Quote Originally Posted by uLs1a
    Relocation Brackets: Relocated the LCA
    Suspension Tech. 35mm Front Sway bar: Kept the front wheels planted on the ground while going through turns
    BMR Subframe Connectors Another modification that will stiffen up your car. A must for t-top and convertable F-bodies

triple-black
    2000 CamaroSS convertible

i'd have to write a book, a biography...
    Eugenio_SS
    almost stock triple-black 2000 SS convertible with 17x11s on all 4 w/ 315s at the track or on the street with 18x10.5s on all 4 w/ 315s: (1), (2)

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

Quote Originally Posted by Eugenio_SS
    i'd have to write a book, a biography...

triple-black

ps... shocks aren't measured in terms of stiffness, springs are.
    A shock does not serve the purpose of a spring unless set to too much damping, impeding the spring from doing its work.
    shocks should be considered more as dampers.

triple-black

i can skip the history part and just talk about the present setup:

springs: Ground-Control coil-overs 500/150
    shocks: Koni DA on all 4
    sway-bars: 35/21
    PHR/LCA: trackbird rod-end beefy LCA/PHR
    alignment: -1.5' camber, +4.5' castor, 1/32" toe-in
    TA: SLP adj. TA

basically, spring rates to define wanted stiffness, and height to allow enough suspension travel.
    sway-bars, to balance the car, given the spring rates chosen.
    shocks, set to dampen the setup right (rebound/compression)
    TA, to eliminate brake-hop
    PHR/LCA, to avoid binding when turning, and less lateral movement on the rear-axle.

That pretty much sums it up.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Quote Originally Posted by uLs1a
    Relocation Brackets: Relocated the LCA to keep the LCA parallel to the ground to eliminate as much wheel hop as possible
    what does a job like that cost? including the cost to install? sounds pretty heafty-i'd love to lower my 4x4...er imean, ws.666

Eric @ DMS
    Wow...OK here goes.

DMS Lowering Springs
    DMS Adj Panhard Rod
    DMS LCAs
    DMS Brackets
    DMS STB
    DMS SFCs
    DMS K-members *new*
    DMS A-arms *new*
    DMS Upper Panhard
    DMS G-load Brace

* All have done a killer job at what they do *

blue02formula

2002 Formula M6-NBM / Taupe cloth
    !FRA, K&N, LS1 Motorsports lid,
    SLP 160* T-stat, HPP III, TB By-pass,
    Taylor 409 race wires, Kirban shifter,
    SLP Y-pipe, Magnaflow cat-back,
    Edelbrock STB, Edelbrock Torque Arm,
    BMR boxed SFC’s, BMR boxed LCA’s, BMR PHR, Lakewood DSL,
    Suspension Techniques sway bars,
    iROTOR drilled & slotted rotors, EBC 2000 series Green Stuff pads,
    Moser 12 bolt, Eaton posi, 4:11's 33 spline axles, T/A stud girdle/cover, BFG Traction T/A's

Black
    97 Formula

BMR SFC: Greatly stiffened up the structural regidity.
    Spohn LCA: No wheel hop, can spin the tires at will. But not that hard with all-weather tires. Will be replaced soon.
    SLP STB: Got it cheap, better steering response.

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

Spohn:
    LCA's, adj. PHB, non-tranny mounted adj. TA, relocation brackets, nittos,stock springs and shocks for now........the end result after getting my pinion angle set to about -2.5* is crazy traction!!! my car hooks and goes!! cant wait to see what shocks do for me

blue02formula
    With my SFC's, LCA's, PHB and I use a drive shaft loop in place of stock tunnel brace, I go straighter when the tires spin. T-tops don't make much noise now, STB helped somewhat. The sway bars keep it nice and flat in the corners. Tires make a big diffrence, I really liked BFG G-Force KDWS for the corners but I got 25,000 miles on them and they needed replaced. The BFG Traction T/A has a softer sidewall so they grip better in a straight line and wear well but don't corner as well as the G-Forces. Goodyear RSA's sucked at everything.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

After learning THE HARD WAY on what NOT to do on my suspension with my 93Z28, I went and did it the right way on my 01SS.

LGMotorsports G2 SFC's with optional v-braces, EXTREMELY beefy SFC's, no ground clearance issues whatsoever. Immediate change in my car's handling dynamics, made everything feel so much more responsive as opposed to it feeling vague.

Strano hollow 35mm front swaybar, made turn-in's MUCH faster, less bodyroll too.

Koni DA's all 4 corners, GC Coilovers with 500# fronts & 150# rears, height settings 26" front, 26-5/8 rear...MAN this thing handles!!! Coupled with my new Z06 Motorsports wheels, I have 275-40-17 fronts & 295-35-18 rears, my car handles like NO OTHER car I have ever owned, my car is seriously sure-footed, VERY stable on high speed turns. I am at a point where if I push it hard enough, I BET you I can have a predictable 4-tire slide and still be in TOTAL CONTROL of my car!!!

LGMotorsports APHB, rod ended both sides...I didn't go for the aluminum one, I have the chromoly one, I did have to adjust the PHB, but only 1/2 inch max.

I'm telling you all, this is the best handling vehicle I ever owned.
    The Black 2001 SS #5697
    T-tops, 6-spd/B&M ripper, ARH LT's/GMMG/CME, Volant, Koni DA's & GC coilovers, Strano frt & rear sways, G2(SFC's w/v-braces, STB, adj PHR), Wilwood 6-piston red calipers frnt brakes w/13" 2-pc rotors, RKSport(clear front & rear corners, c-f grill), chrome Z06 wheels

Millienum Yellow
    2003 Corvette Z06

Re: List your suspension mod's and effects

2002 Trans Am WS6 M6 done with about 43k on the clock

Eibach Pro-Kit springs - lowered car and stiffened the ride a tad bit
    Bilstein Revalved shocks - a great shock to compliment the springs
    BMR adjustable pan hard rod - recentered the rear
    BMR lower control arm relocation brackets - balanced the angle of the lower control arms (because the car was lowered)need to get some BMR LCA soon!!
    BMR Boxed Weld in subframe connectors - tightened the car up so much you can jack up one whole side of the car with one jack.
    BMR STB-Link the front struts

With all this new equipment the ride has improved alot, very responsive , alot less body roll and or boaty feeling while traveling down the highway..the only bad thing is while traveling I hit a bump abruptly the rear hits the bump stops..but if I shave 'em down I should get rid of that ..pics of stuff in sig
    Shawn
    Daily: 2003 MY Z06 D1SC | Toy: 2006 Hayabusa Garrett T-3 | Hauler: 2007 Nissan Titan LE CC
    I like being Blown!!

Texas el es Juan Member keno2095's Avatar

Artic White
    2000 SS Camaro M6

Hotchkis STB
    BMR SFC
    Koni Struts
    Rear Bilsteins
    Eibach Pro Kit

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 TA

My suspension and brake mods are as follows:

SUSPENSION/BRAKES:

Hotchkis Lower Control Arms (10/02) Good product. Stiffer than most and a simple easy bolt-in.

BMR Adjustable Panhard Rod (10/02) Easy bolt in to straighten body from lowering.

BMR Subframe Connectors (10/02) Weld in style. Very good product.

BMR Lower Control Arm Brackets (10/02) Welded to BMR SFCs. Helped wheel hop, but did not fix problem.

Global West Torque Arm (10/02) - overkill for my installation, but solved a very difficult wheel hop problem.

Hotchkis STB (10/02) - Very good product, tried BMR and Kenny Brown three point style. This one is easy to remove and very stiff.

SLP/Eibach Pro Springs (11/02) - Didn't lower as much as I had hoped. Less than 1 in.

SLP Bilstein Shocks (11/02) - Work well, but fronts are leaking. Will have to send in to fix them - not very convenient even though they will fix them for free.

Suspension Techniques Polyurethane Swaybar Bushings (11/02) - Good product - not much noise with install grease. Part of original Mecham package.

Suspension Techniques Swaybars (11/02) - These are the perfect swaybars, IMHO. Part of the original Mecham package.

KVR Cross Drilled Front Brake Rotors (12/02) - very good. no warpage, less than 120 ft. 60-0 distance.

Hurst/Thunder Line Lock ( 2/04) - Flawless function

Valvoline SynPower Synthetic Brake Fluid (2/04) - Will go to Baer fluid when I start to autocross. Good every day fluid.

Earl's Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines (2/04) - much better feel to brakes.

This combination came after much trial and error - most of the trial and error involved wheel hop issues.

Regards,
    Darden

Thread Information