Black
    1999 Trans Am WS6

Are Koni's worth the money?

I received an Eibach Pro-Kit for Christmas (God bless my wonderful girlfriend). I've got a 1999 Trans Am WS6. Naturally I'm very excited and I'm contemplating buying shocks. I've noticed that the Koni's are considerably more expensive than any other shocks. Are they really worth the money? Bilstein's run about $350 for all 4 as opposed to the Koni's which run $800 for single adjustable and $1300 for double adjustable. I'm really not concerned about drag racing so I'm not looking into the HAL's at all. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with both of these shocks and could enlighten me to justify the fact that the Koni's are really worth all that cash since I'm unfortunately on a limited budget. I was thinking about just putting the springs on and worrying about shocks at a later time. If I had the money to spend I'd already have the Koni double adjustables Any help/info would be much appreciated.

triple-black
    2000 CamaroSS convertible

Quote Originally Posted by bad99ta
    I received an Eibach Pro-Kit for Christmas (God bless my wonderful girlfriend). I've got a 1999 Trans Am WS6. Naturally I'm very excited and I'm contemplating buying shocks. I've noticed that the Koni's are considerably more expensive than any other shocks. Are they really worth the money? Bilstein's run about $350 for all 4 as opposed to the Koni's which run $800 for single adjustable and $1300 for double adjustable. I'm really not concerned about drag racing so I'm not looking into the HAL's at all. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with both of these shocks and could enlighten me to justify the fact that the Koni's are really worth all that cash since I'm unfortunately on a limited budget. I was thinking about just putting the springs on and worrying about shocks at a later time. If I had the money to spend I'd already have the Koni double adjustables Any help/info would be much appreciated.
    worthed... but would get the SA... i have the DA on all corners, btw.
    Eugenio_SS
    almost stock triple-black 2000 SS convertible with 17x11s on all 4 w/ 315s at the track or on the street with 18x10.5s on all 4 w/ 315s: (1), (2)

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by bad99ta
    Koni's are the BEST shocks you can buy for our f-bodies. Getting the Double Adjustable's on a street only car would be definite overkill but OH BOY WHAT OVERKILL

You could opt for the non-adjustable Koni's, they may be damped enough to handle the Eibach prokits that you got for Xmas(congrats!)

The Koni DA's & SA's(Single Adjustable) are worth the money, I've driven two 4th-gen f-bodies with the factory decarbon's/eibach prokits as well as the Bilstein HD's/eibach prokits and currently my setup if WAY better than the previous two.

JMHO
    The Black 2001 SS #5697
    T-tops, 6-spd/B&M ripper, ARH LT's/GMMG/CME, Volant, Koni DA's & GC coilovers, Strano frt & rear sways, G2(SFC's w/v-braces, STB, adj PHR), Wilwood 6-piston red calipers frnt brakes w/13" 2-pc rotors, RKSport(clear front & rear corners, c-f grill), chrome Z06 wheels

Black
    1999 Trans Am WS6

Thanks for the input!

Arctic White
    2001 Camaro SS

I think lmperformance has them on sale for less than 1k right now

Red
    2001 Trans Am

Koni's are worth every penny. I'm glad I got mine when I installed my lowering springs. The difference is night and day

Black
    1999 Trans Am WS6

A couple more questions if I may...
    1) To the people who have the Koni's: Do you have the Special or Sport model shocks? I've been reading their Web site and pricing out those two different models and I'm not sure what the big difference between the two is. The descriptions on their site are kind of vague.
    2) What adjustability do the Double adjustable offer vs the Single adjustable?
    Thanks!
    Last edited by bad99ta; 01-03-2006 at 04:49 AM.

Black
    97 Formula

The Double-Adjustables are more of a track-only shock, they will kill your kidney's. Single-adjustables are more suited for street use.

Burple
    1966 427 Cobra Replica

Do SA Konis need to be revalved for a drop?

Black
    1999 Trans Am WS6

I asked Sam Strano about that & the Koni's don't need to be revalved for a drop.

triple-black
    2000 CamaroSS convertible

Quote Originally Posted by Warbird
    The Double-Adjustables are more of a track-only shock, they will kill your kidney's. Single-adjustables are more suited for street use.
    disagree... the DAs will not kill your kidneys unless you have no clue how to adjust them or decide to adjust so bad that will cause such situation (overdamping the springs, not allowing springs to do their work)
    They offer independant adjustment for compression and rebound, while the SA offer one adjustment that will affect both.

Burple
    1966 427 Cobra Replica

Seems like a lot of money for a shock that allows you to adjust both compression and rebound. Pretty much every sportbike comes stock with adjustability of compression, rebound, spring preload (w/o ride height changes) and sometimes ride height. Perhaps when sports cars are as market competitive as sportbikes are (most are redesigned after 2 model years), we'll all be happier.

Thread Information