Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Paid 2 Post Daycrew SexOnWheels's Avatar

Blood Red
    Z28

Question Koni Install guide?

I have (finally) gathered all the parts for my suspension upgrade.

I usually print out all the great website guides before the install in case I run into any problems.

I have everything ready to go with the exception of the shock install guide.

I purchased the dampers from Sam Strano so I will be calling him right before the install for his hints/tricks but I would still like a printed guide.

I know that trackbird had a decent one on his webpage but it has been taken down for at least a month now so I was wondering if anyone has any links.

Also if members like Eugenio (etc) can post up any knowledge from their installs it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

best advice is to mail all of your purchased products to my home address-i'll return my "slightly used" stock parts and you'll be good to go

Custom Car Emblems
    from third_shift|studios
    Pittsburgh Car Detailing & Paint Protection from ts|s detailing
    jaison tortorea

Blood Red
    Z28

heh, You really do not want to know how much I have spent for this years mods.

I really am hoping that with all these goodies that you can't even see on the car (all underneath) that it will be a brand new ride.

I tell you what dip, we will work out a trade but you gotta give bro you just gotta give!

Blood Red
    Z28

Just for the sake of future searches this site had a decent shock/spring swap c/w coil over set-up:

http://ls1howto.com/

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

hum..just marking this post for that sway bar install

Blood Red
    Z28

Yes this and two other online installs helped me a great deal!

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17106

triple-black
    2000 CamaroSS convertible

Quote Originally Posted by SexOnWheels View Post
    I have (finally) gathered all the parts for my suspension upgrade.

I usually print out all the great website guides before the install in case I run into any problems.

I have everything ready to go with the exception of the shock install guide.

I purchased the dampers from Sam Strano so I will be calling him right before the install for his hints/tricks but I would still like a printed guide.

I know that trackbird had a decent one on his webpage but it has been taken down for at least a month now so I was wondering if anyone has any links.

Also if members like Eugenio (etc) can post up any knowledge from their installs it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

well, i guess that you shouldn't put your hope too big on Kevin's webpage... since he had 2x HDD failure... so i'm sure he had lots of lost data.

As for my install... it's classified information... and if i tell you, you can't survive... lol
    I did several suspension installations... which one you referring to ? lol
    I don't recall if you purchased the Koni SA or DA... which one is it ?
    Eugenio_SS
    almost stock triple-black 2000 SS convertible with 17x11s on all 4 w/ 315s at the track or on the street with 18x10.5s on all 4 w/ 315s: (1), (2)

pewter

how difficult is it installing sways? pan hard rod? LCA's? ..is it hard setting up adjustable lcas and the pan? ..im gonna have neweraperformace install the shocks and springs but after reading up i THINK i can handle the sways lcas and pan on my own..thanks guys

Blood Red
    Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Eugenio_SS View Post
    well, i guess that you shouldn't put your hope too big on Kevin's webpage... since he had 2x HDD failure... so i'm sure he had lots of lost data.

As for my install... it's classified information... and if i tell you, you can't survive... lol
    I did several suspension installations... which one you referring to ? lol
    I don't recall if you purchased the Koni SA or DA... which one is it ?
    As you can see this thread is almost an entire year old and I assumed your 'classified' stance as not replying when I desperately needed you to, J/K it went well and FYI I have SA's

Kevin (trackbird) responded to a PM on Frrax and told me he took it down because He kept getting "crap" from guys on LS1tech about stuff on his site. and afcouse told me of his HD failures as to the reason he could not provide me with his guide, hence no link from myself on post#4

Quote Originally Posted by tonyjnjz View Post
    how difficult is it installing sways? pan hard rod? LCA's? ..is it hard setting up adjustable lcas and the pan? ..im gonna have neweraperformace install the shocks and springs but after reading up i THINK i can handle the sways lcas and pan on my own..thanks guys

Those parts are no sweat and adjusting the Panhard is easy (just center the rear) I do not use adjustable LCA's so someone will have to chime in here fir that advise,

pewter

y dont u use adjustable lca's? are u not lowered? are they nessesary? from what ive read so far most ppl seem to think they are..but of course im still trying to soak up as much knowledge as i can before diving into this suspension work...should be a fun winter project on a warm day..thanks

Blood Red
    Z28

Not lowered at ATM (currently using 1LE springs).

I am thinking of purchasing the Strano Lowering springs but I am waiting on a couple of reviews first.

pewter

ok guys....doing the front shock/spring install with my dad tues or wed..renting a spring compressing from autozone.................any tips????? beyond the how/to guide on this page???? koni/strano springs .....also have to put teh rear springs in but those look easy......oo and i just had these tires installed

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...09&rd=17&ar=40

so far i LOOVE them...soo sticky..they dont seem to folllow grooves in the rd at all like many other tires ive had.....went thru an expresssway onramp today 10mph faster than ive ever gone thru it today and not even a squeal.......cant wait to see how much harder i can push her after the suspenion is done

Blood Red
    Z28

The rears are easy and straight forward.

Just do the fronts one at a time and you should have no problems at all.

If you do just post here as I will keep an eye on this thread.

I Think, Therefore Z-28 Corvettekid82's Avatar

Triple Black
    2001 Z-28 Vert

I'd recomend taking the assembly to an service store to have the springs swapped over to the new shocks. I took my Koni DA's to Pepboys and they swapped them over into the stock springs for 40 bucks total on the front suspension. Much easier than doing it yourself and takes a hellavu lot less time too.

pewter

u let pepboys touch that shit? are u outta your mind? id rather let my mom do it...lol .....i already have the spring compresser.....its free to rent from autozone....just leave a deposit.....thanks for the advise though....trust me i thought about taking them somwhere for that as it can definitly be dangerous..well be careful and hopfully ill stil have all my fingers and toes

I Think, Therefore Z-28 Corvettekid82's Avatar

Triple Black
    2001 Z-28 Vert

Yeah.. lol Pepboys did the install. I hovered over them like a hawk tho. They tried to install them the wrong way the first time with the adjustment window twoards the inside of the car. I made them redo it. That tech must have hated me Good luck with your install.. only reason I took it to a shop is for the sake of time. The autozone spring compressers take forever if you go slow and careful. The shops have a huge standup press.

Blood Red
    Z28

Pepboys?

Just do it yourself so you know that the job will be done right!

pewter

alright guys did it this morning....took 2 hrs 45 min with the help of my dad...pretty striaght forward and easy job.....first side hr 45..second 1 hr..so once u have the hang of it its really not very difficult or time consuming....as for what i think??? wow its like a totaly diff car and reminds me MUCH more of a friends z06 ive taken a ride in than it does a camaro..amazing....my fronts are 3 sweeps from full hard...rears are 1 from full soft...the drop from the strano springs is absolutly perfect!!!!..im gonna have to take some pics with my buddys digital camera and post on here..the ride is definitly smoother than it was before with a 1.4 inch drop..that alone amazes me and tells me just how shitty those stock shocks were..unreal....as for the handling i havnt had a chance to really push her yet but so far it corners SOOO Much flatter and predictable....glad i picked this upgrade first before headers....all i need is to take a ride where theres some swurvy rds now ...and thanks for bein there for me incase i needed some help sexonwheels.....really wish i had done the front swaybar WHILE doin this job as it would of been much easier...and the present endlink was pretty fuckin rusty for the car only having 24k and NO winters....woulda been worthwhile to put the new bar in....ah well..thinkin stranos bars front and rear..maybe next yr....how much of a difference do u think ill feel from them sex? i belive u have them right?

Blood Red
    Z28

I glad everything went well with the install.

For sure post up some pictures!

I have the 35mm front bar and imo that is the perfect size for our cars.

I find the stock rear bar (19mm) with poly bushings and poly endlinks are fine for me.

pewter

hum see if these camera phone pics work

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information