Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

K-member Pros and Cons

Time to start planning the winter projects for the Trans Am. I am definitely upgrading the 4L60E with something a little more stout. Will probably up the stall on the converter as well. I have looked at UMI's K-member a couple of times, any pros or cons to installing one on a street driver that sees occasional track days? Do the lower A-arms also have to be swapped out?

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Ive heard nothing but great things on the UMI piece. I have read some weird issues on the BMR piece, from street use. Who knows how much truth they hold.

PA racing also makes a nice K member. If I was going to buy a K member, and had no plans of going turbo down the road... I would stay with the tried and true UMI.

silver
    2000 formula

i will be doing a spohn K........since i already have thier motor mounts

black
    1999 camaro SS

I just installed the reinforced UMI k member. it's a real nice piece.

use the BMR instructions when you do the install!!! it's way easier than the umi version. the umi instructions have way more steps and involve disconnecting the brake lines which the bmr instructions do not.

the umi k member is a better quality IMO tho

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by sjsingle1 View Post
    i will be doing a spohn K........since i already have thier motor mounts
    Same here...already have the solid motor mounts.

Thanks everyone for the positive comments, we appreciate it

Our K-member is designed for street use as well as drag racing, auto cross and road race. The Pro's are the K-member saves 25lbs of weight, adds addtional room for headers, turbo ect, adds additional alignment and makes working the car a lot easier. Our K-member will also work with the factory A-Arms with no issues.

If you have any additional questions please ask. Hope that helps!
    Ryan

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by UMI Sales View Post
    Thanks everyone for the positive comments, we appreciate it

Our K-member is designed for street use as well as drag racing, auto cross and road race. The Pro's are the K-member saves 25lbs of weight, adds addtional room for headers, turbo ect, adds additional alignment and makes working the car a lot easier. Our K-member will also work with the factory A-Arms with no issues.

If you have any additional questions please ask. Hope that helps!
    Ryan
    I'll be going with the umi k member! Everything on my car is UMI and all the parts are great quality. I will be getting mine either at fall or spring carlisle. I mainly want it for the room and weight.

Jeff,
    Are you upgrading the 4l60e? If so who is doing it?

Or are you going to a turbo 350/400?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by 02Sweet View Post
    I'll be going with the umi k member! Everything on my car is UMI and all the parts are great quality. I will be getting mine either at fall or spring carlisle. I mainly want it for the room and weight.

Jeff,
    Are you upgrading the 4l60e? If so who is doing it?

Or are you going to a turbo 350/400?

Upgrading the 4L60E -- I'm not hardcore like you! Probably go Performabuilt since thay are right here in PA.

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Upgrading the 4L60E -- I'm not hardcore like you! Probably go Performabuilt since thay are right here in PA.
    Yeah performabuilt is even closer to me than you!

If you go up let me know ill take that ride too.

About me im torn between upgrading the 4L60e or going with the built 400 I already have.

Red
    '68 Camaro RS, '11 Camaro

Love mine. It was very well made. Nice coating, no weld slag, nice looking piece. I kept the stock motor mounts, and have regretted it since. While you have it out, upgrade to solid. As for the lower arms, I was able to go back to a non-adjustable arm with the new member. I had adjustables on there because the car was hit before I owned it, and I was never able to get it aligned properly. Plenty of adjustment with the new member, though.

black
    1999 camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by MrKid View Post
    Love mine. It was very well made. Nice coating, no weld slag, nice looking piece. I kept the stock motor mounts, and have regretted it since. While you have it out, upgrade to solid. As for the lower arms, I was able to go back to a non-adjustable arm with the new member. I had adjustables on there because the car was hit before I owned it, and I was never able to get it aligned properly. Plenty of adjustment with the new member, though.
    I put in poly motor mounts when I had my k member out and the hardest part was drilling out the rivets on the clam shells. I definately recomend to anyone putting in a new k member that, that is the best time to replace your motor mounts. I'm not sure but I think you can't use solid mounts with the umi k member

Red

Quote Originally Posted by xmarkx View Post
    I put in poly motor mounts when I had my k member out and the hardest part was drilling out the rivets on the clam shells. I definately recomend to anyone putting in a new k member that, that is the best time to replace your motor mounts. I'm not sure but I think you can't use solid mounts with the umi k member
    I think you're right. The pedestals will only except the the poly type. Still a good idea, because my header rubs the steering shaft under acceleration.

black
    1999 camaro SS

I think you're right. The pedestals will only except the the poly type. Still a good idea, because my header rubs the steering shaft under acceleration.
    when I did my front suspension I did it all at one time. upper /lower arms, sway bar, springs, k member, and poly mounts. the car feels much lighter and responsive when turning sharply. it really made me realize how much of a tank it was before lol

Red

when I did my front suspension I did it all at one time. upper /lower arms, sway bar, springs, k member, and poly mounts. the car feels much lighter and responsive when turning sharply. it really made me realize how much of a tank it was before lol
    Yeah, it made my steering feel much lighter. I was also surprised at how cheap the stock K member felt. It was heavy as hell, but didn't seem very sturdy. Plus you can't beat the extra room for headers, and general access to the bottom of the engine.

black
    1999 camaro SS

Yeah, it made my steering feel much lighter. I was also surprised at how cheap the stock K member felt. It was heavy as hell, but didn't seem very sturdy. Plus you can't beat the extra room for headers, and general access to the bottom of the engine.
    it completely opens up the bottom of the motor for access to pita parts like a/c and alt. also it makes keeping the engine clean alot easier

Red

it completely opens up the bottom of the motor for access to pita parts like a/c and alt. also it makes keeping the engine clean alot easier
    Yup. Which is good, because my front seal is leaking. Easy to get to, and plenty of room to power wash the 3 quarts of oil off

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Did you do any work on the front of your motor while it was out? I can't remember what all was done.

black
    1999 camaro SS

I don't know about mrrkid but I had to remove my alt and ac to get my motor mount bolts out so I replaced the alt.. and cleaned up the front of the engine.... I would think that doing any real engine work might be dangerous seeing how the only thing holding up the motor was the Jack under the oil pan.

you can't get the power steering rack off without lowering the k member so putting in a k is a great time to service your power steering too. I drained the whole system and put new fluid in, replaced all o rings and completely cleaned the outside of the rack. it was filthy!!

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I don't know about mrrkid but I had to remove my alt and ac to get my motor mount bolts out so I replaced the alt.. and cleaned up the front of the engine.... I would think that doing any real engine work might be dangerous seeing how the only thing holding up the motor was the Jack under the oil pan.

you can't get the power steering rack off without lowering the k member so putting in a k is a great time to service your power steering too. I drained the whole system and put new fluid in, replaced all o rings and completely cleaned the outside of the rack. it was filthy!!
    I clean the underside of our car a couple times a year, so it stays pretty nice. Not a bad idea to totally flush the power steering system. With a 2 post lift and large trans jack it shouldn't be too bad a job.

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    I clean the underside of our car a couple times a year, so it stays pretty nice. Not a bad idea to totally flush the power steering system. With a 2 post lift and large trans jack it shouldn't be too bad a job.
    CHEATER!!!

I did mine with a tiny little jack and the car resting on blocks in the driveway!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information