SOM
    2002 SS

How do I change My panhard bar?

I know i know I don't have a manual. I'm a DIY for the most part just wondering if theres any simple steps I should know about when doing this.

Should I raise the rear and put it on stands and just loosen both?
    Should my adj panhard bar be shorter than stock? (eibach sportlines)
    Do I just align the wheels with the rear fenders or get an alignment and let him do it?

I was planning on putting some slabs of laminate flooring under the rear tires. 2 thick with some motor oil between them so I can just adjust the bar while the car is sitting on them and the rear should slide effortlessly side to side.

190k km on the car its pretty rusty under will this be a pain to change?

Stockitie Stock Stock 95camaroZNC's Avatar

Red
    1999 Trans Am

So heres whats you should do, jack up the back of the car, i put my rear tires on ramps and then used a floor jack to support the rear end. After you do this tape a piece of string with something heavy like a nut to it so itll swing on both sides of the car. Not the current position of the bolt. Unbolt and replace your panhard bar and adjust it to the point where the bolt was before. Your done. Easy stuff.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Adjustable panhard bar I assume.

Install it.
    Put the car down on the tires. See how centered in the body they are. Adjust accordingly. Took me 3-4 adjustments to get it right. Maybe 15 minutes.
    2008 Trailblazer SS
    Yank PTB3600, Kooks 1 7/8" LT's, 4" intake, E-fans, Magnaflow, Sonnax kit, tranny cooler, tune.
    Lowered, HID's, tinted.

1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6 #1747 SOLD
    531.1 RWHP 481.3 FT/Pounds all motor.

black
    02 vette vert

Quote Originally Posted by 5abivt View Post
    I know i know I don't have a manual. I'm a DIY for the most part just wondering if theres any simple steps I should know about when doing this.

Should I raise the rear and put it on stands and just loosen both?
    Should my adj panhard bar be shorter than stock? (eibach sportlines)
    Do I just align the wheels with the rear fenders or get an alignment and let him do it?

I was planning on putting some slabs of laminate flooring under the rear tires. 2 thick with some motor oil between them so I can just adjust the bar while the car is sitting on them and the rear should slide effortlessly side to side.

190k km on the car its pretty rusty under will this be a pain to change?
    unless you have the body locked in some giant clamp attached to the walls youre not going to slide the tires on the floor, the body will just move side to side when you change adjustment.

Navy Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

Wink

First, measure from the tire sidewall out to the fender lip (up top), on both sides.
    Then subtract the two numbers an divide your answer by 2, this will be the amount you need to either lengthen, or shorten the adjustable PHB from factory length.

FYI, If the driver side has the larger gap then add to the factory length, if the larger gap is on the passenger side then subtract from the factory length.

Now back the car up on a good set of ramps, set the parking brake, then block the front wheels.
    Remove the factory PHB, measure it from "bolt hole center, to bolt hole center" and write your measurement down. Now add/subtract your earlier predetermined length to the factory length.
    Now set your new adjustable PHB to the correct length, and reinstall.

If you have trouble getting one of the bolts in have someone carefully push on the side of the car(which ever side helps) to get the holes to line up.
    Or you can do it yourself from underneath the car!
    Last edited by Blue28; 06-26-2009 at 10:36 PM.

black
    02 vette vert

you should get a bar thats adjustable on the car, its a lot easier than having to take it back off to fine tune.

SOM
    2002 SS

Quote Originally Posted by Blue28 View Post
    First, measure from the tire sidewall out to the fender lip (up top), on both sides.
    Then subtract the two numbers an divide your answer by 2, this will be the amount you need to either lengthen, or shorten the adjustable PHB from factory length.

FYI, If the driver side has the larger gap then add to the factory length, if the larger gap is on the passenger side then subtract from the factory length.

Now back the car up on a good set of ramps, set the parking brake, then block the front wheels.
    Remove the factory PHB, measure it from "bolt hole center, to bolt hole center" and write your measurement down. Now add/subtract your earlier predetermined length to the factory length.
    Now set your new adjustable PHB to the correct length, and reinstall.

If you have trouble getting one of the bolts in have someone carefully push on the side of the car(which ever side helps) to get the holes to line up.
    Or you can do it yourself from underneath the car!
    Finally getting to this tonight. Thanks for this explanation it really put things into perspective. Hopefully all goes well pulling an all nighter cuz the wife is out of town !!

SOM
    2002 SS

Quote Originally Posted by dklowrider View Post
    you should get a bar thats adjustable on the car, its a lot easier than having to take it back off to fine tune.
    I'm fairly certain it is. its the umi on car adjustable with the poly end so its not as harsh.

Thread Information