sunset orange
    2002 Camaro Z28

hollow or solid?

Hey guys i was thinking about ordering sway bars and was wondering if it would be better to go with hollow or solid, i dont auto cross or anything just tired of my body roll and want to help it out. Thanks for any suggestions

silver
    2000 formula

i have hollow......my son bent it trying to jack the car up....he missed putting the jack under the rear end....now going with solids

black
    1999 camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by sjsingle1 View Post
    i have hollow......my son bent it trying to jack the car up....he missed putting the jack under the rear end....now going with solids
    last month I tried Jack my 64 Pontiac Catalina under the 8.9 rear end. when I had the Jack almost fully extended I started noticing the car slide to the left.... AS I WAS STILL UNDER IT.... I scrambled from underneath the car and sure enough it slid right off of the Jack and slammed back on to the ground. scared the shit out of me.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by xmarkx View Post
    last month I tried Jack my 64 Pontiac Catalina under the 8.9 rear end. when I had the Jack almost fully extended I started noticing the car slide to the left.... AS I WAS STILL UNDER IT.... I scrambled from underneath the car and sure enough it slid right off of the Jack and slammed back on to the ground. scared the shit out of me.
    This is why you ALWAYS use jack stands. A jack should be used as an "additional" means to hold the car up, not the only means. I'm sure you know this though. Glad you made it out OK this time.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 02sunsetorangeZ View Post
    Hey guys i was thinking about ordering sway bars and was wondering if it would be better to go with hollow or solid, i dont auto cross or anything just tired of my body roll and want to help it out. Thanks for any suggestions
    id go hollow.

Life In The Fast Lane..!! redracer1's Avatar

Brickyard 400 Trac Car#10
    35th Camaro SS/LE Vert

Sam Strano Hollow Sways here, you'll save weight with no compromise of perfromance. Installed them last Friday and they dramaticly changed the handling characteristics of the car.

and no they're not a jacking point and neither is a soild bar

black
    1999 camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    This is why you ALWAYS use jack stands. A jack should be used as an "additional" means to hold the car up, not the only means. I'm sure you know this though. Glad you made it out OK this time.
    normaly as soon as I get the car up a couple inches I slide the stands under as I finish jacking it but this time I got lazy and decided I'd put them under when I was done. it's not the first time I've done that but for sure the last time

383 w/Meth & ProCharger
    2001 Camaro Z28

Quick answer, hollow to save weight....solid so it won't break.

If you typically just street drive your car then hollow is fine. If you auto-x or push the corners hard and quite often...then eventually the hollow will break and a solid would work better.

383 w/Meth & ProCharger
    2001 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Agree 100% Always use stands

sunset orange
    2002 Camaro Z28

thanks guys i was thinking with hollows. i do have a lot of twistys out here and i love hittin them pretty quick just wasnt to sure

Navy Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

Go with the hollow bars, solid bars add a lot of weight.

sunset orange
    2002 Camaro Z28

Alright thanks.

White
    1998 Trans Am

The solids are a little heavier but also paid less for my Spohn Solids than the Strano's. If you have the cash and want less weight get the Strano's if you want to save money and don't mind a few pounds Spohn makes a nice set up. I think UMI also sells some now also. When I bought mine UMI din't have any listed and I wanted powdercoated red bars. I would have pinted the Strano's but with the bars and needing new rear axle brackets it was too much money since I was doing the springs and shocks at the same time.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

35th Camaro SS/LE Vert

Quote Originally Posted by RyanJM View Post
    The solids are a little heavier but also paid less for my Spohn Solids than the Strano's. If you have the cash and want less weight get the Strano's if you want to save money and don't mind a few pounds Spohn makes a nice set up. I think UMI also sells some now also. When I bought mine UMI din't have any listed and I wanted powdercoated red bars. I would have pinted the Strano's but with the bars and needing new rear axle brackets it was too much money since I was doing the springs and shocks at the same time.
    I here ya, I had my Strano bars powdered RED..some pics below...

How they came...

Red coated...

Installed....

sunset orange
    2002 Camaro Z28

looks good! I am going to order the hollows, strano lowering springs and koni yellows.

black
    1999 camaro SS

how is your cars undercariage so clean!!? it looks like it's the underside of a brand new car lol. mines not half as nice but I am the 3rd owner so that might have something to do with it......

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by redracer1 View Post
    I here ya, I had my Strano bars powdered RED..some pics below...
    how much was it to powder coat ?

35th Camaro SS/LE Vert

looks good! I am going to order the hollows, strano lowering springs and koni yellows.
    Hell ya..!!

Quote Originally Posted by xmarkx View Post
    how is your cars undercariage so clean!!? it looks like it's the underside of a brand new car lol. mines not half as nice but I am the 3rd owner so that might have something to do with it......
    Thanks it's a labor of love.lol.
    2nd owner here 1st owner was GM as it's one of the 2001 45 track cars then sat in a Chevy dealers collection. The pace car decals removed then sold to me. Garage kept, no rain most LE aren't DD and you'll find 99.9% of LE owners are super annal about there cars, Oh and it helps to have a lift at work.lol. I do drive it tho, way to much fun now not to, it's got 50k on the OD.

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    how much was it to powder coat ?
    Local here in SoCal was $85 with tax included. That included prep also btw, thought it was a great deal.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by redracer1 View Post
    Thanks it's a labor of love.lol.
    2nd owner here 1st owner was GM as it's one of the 2001 45 track cars then sat in a Chevy dealers collection. The pace car decals removed then sold to me. Garage kept, no rain most LE aren't DD and you'll find 99.9% of LE owners are super annal about there cars, Oh and it helps to have a lift at work.lol. I do drive it tho, way to much fun now not to, it's got 50k on the OD.
    I am the same way and need to find more time to be even more anal. I had only 6K on the odometer until 2 years ago. Now she has 19K and I am enjoying her more and more. I also was 2nd owner, 1st being GM. I respect this car a lot...probably more so than even a lot of people lol. I wish I had a lift

35th Camaro SS/LE Vert

The lift is cool but a pain to get on now that it's lowered.

It's tough sometimes, you get your car to a certain level enter a few shows and then take it up another level so you have a chance to win and then have to maintain it at that level but still drive and enjoy the car but then spend a day or two cleaning it up from the drive then even more time prepping for a show.lol.

That's why it's a labor of love and enjoy it as a true hobby and enthusist.

Thread Information