Black
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Help: Troubleshooting Steering

Ok here's the problem. I've recently had a lot of work done to the 02 TA including new motor, supercharger, UMI everything, and upgraded shocks and springs. Somewhere along the way, the steering has suffered. It feels spongy at speed, like there is a delay between when i turn the wheel and when the steering responds. Not such a problem until I get to highway speeds. This thing dynos at 768 rwhp so precise steering is a must.

I've read a lot of post on this issue. Tie rods, linkage, and ball joints all seem nice and tight. Turning the wheel and checking for play in all concerned components doesn't turn up anything obvious. Recently replaced the rack, and am told by my shop that the power steering wouldn't cause this type of problem. Also, I've had it aligned more than once recently. My hunch its power steering, but what the heck do i know?!

Should I be looking at where the wheel attaches to the column, or could it be a faulty rack or power steering issue after all?

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated as I've been wrestling with this for a long time.
    Last edited by DSWitherow; 05-05-2011 at 01:20 PM.

Black
    Y2K Camero SS

have you remover all air from system ? try with moter running turn steering wheel slow lock to lock 10-12 times , this should bleed air from system,
    is the fluid clear ? ( ok) or clowdy? ( air in system ) think oring ( may be bad from install )will/ may allow air into system, rechk for slack, post up your align specs
    Y2K SS (SLP #239)
    Completly STOCK heads/bore/stroke/weight
    & NOTHING else ---is stock
    "NAW-NAW- just a Sunday goto meeting car, my best time is not in the 12's------- any more "
    ps: I am not soliticing work as I am retired
    >>>info on alignments
    http://www.jgruggles.com

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

I agree with checking the power steering fluid. Another thought, just throwing it out there, what size and kind of tires are you running? Pressure where it should be?

Black

The fluid looks like muddy water. I will definitely be inspecting the O-ring. Will turning the wheel purge all the air or is a flush necessary?

I'll road test tonight and repost the results. Thanks for the help guys, good to know i'm not crazy for thinking it's the power steering.

Oh and tires are 275/35-18's, and the pressure was my first thought too. Believe me I wish that was what's causing it. Great suggestion though. I've gotten to be paranoid about checking that since this whole situation started.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Quote Originally Posted by DSWitherow View Post
    The fluid looks like muddy water. I will definitely be inspecting the O-ring. Will turning the wheel purge all the air or is a flush necessary?

I'll road test tonight and repost the results. Thanks for the help guys, good to know i'm not crazy for thinking it's the power steering.

Oh and tires are 275/35-18's, and the pressure was my first thought too. Believe me I wish that was what's causing it. Great suggestion though. I've gotten to be paranoid about checking that since this whole situation started.
    I figured you would've checked it, but sometimes it's the simple things that get forgotten. I would do a flush on the steering fluid, get all fresh fluid in it.

Black

I cranked the wheel back and forth until I couldn't feel my arms anymore...and it made a big difference. All I've gotta do now is get fresh fluid in there and clean up the steering the rest of the way. Thanks again, I'll post again as soon as I get the flush done.

Black
    Y2K Camero SS

10-12 times lock to lock should work out the air unless the o ring or a connection is leaking more air into system
    Johnny

Fire
    2002 SS

Quote Originally Posted by DSWitherow View Post
    It feels spongy at speed, like there is a delay between when i turn the wheel and when the steering responds
    If not loose due to mechanical issues, it may be related to alignment & wheel size. If alignment check toe and/or look for too much caster. Are the overall tire sizes taller? That affects caster as well. If that doesn't help, try to return to the baseline; put the stock wheel/tire combo back on and drive it, if that helps take the stock wheel set and the modded set to an alignment tech who will listen & work with you.

Thread Information