white
    TRANS AM 2000

Ground Control Coil-Over Kit

does anyone here have experience? I have been thinking of lowering my ride but I can not decide what springs to go for but then I saw this one
    http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...roducts_id=839

thanks

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

First off cool user name haven't played that in a long time. Never seen the adjustable ride height, i'll ask if your more concerned about the drop or the ride quality? If you want a good drop the eibach pro-kit gives you a nice drop but not necessarily a performance spring. If you want handling then people recommend going to at least bilstein shocks and then your out spending at least another $400. It gets expensive.

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    First off cool user name haven't played that in a long time. Never seen the adjustable ride height, i'll ask if your more concerned about the drop or the ride quality? If you want a good drop the eibach pro-kit gives you a nice drop but not necessarily a performance spring. If you want handling then people recommend going to at least bilstein shocks and then your out spending at least another $400. It gets expensive.
    yeah why are you wanting to lower it/whats important to you? welcome to the site btw, lots of good info here

white
    TRANS AM 2000

I am looking for good looks but I dont like to have some problems like wheel hop and so on. I think I will go for the pro kit and relocation brakets for LCA and hope for the best

Blue/Black
    2002 Camaro SS

Ride height & Performance with SS stock suspension

These look interesting to me since I am satisfied with my 2002 Camaro SS ride and handling, but I think it would look better and also handle better if it was a little lower. I love the fact that they are adjustable.

I understand that these would replace the springs in back, but how would they work with the already there combo springs/shocks in front. From reading the comments, it looks like they might just replace the existing springs?

Steve

White
    2001 Z28

Ah, if it was only that simple..... When you change heights you have to change spring rates to support the mass in a shorter amount of travel. When you change rates, the damping requirements change. In short, you can't (well, you can, just shouldn't) just slap coil-overs on and roll any more than you can do it with regular lowering springs (in fact it's more involved).

GC kits remove the stock spring and perch in front (and dust boot) and give you a coil-over sleeve, perch and 2.5" race spring and adapter to replace it with. Similar thing in the rear, and the rears use bare springs (which rust immediately) and come loose when the axle droops fwiw.

Blue/Black
    2002 Camaro SS

Thanks Sam, ....

what would you suggest, keeping in mind that price is important, and I was hoping to stay under $400 to lower the car, and still have it street/track worthy. Can that be done?

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Strano View Post
    Ah, if it was only that simple..... When you change heights you have to change spring rates to support the mass in a shorter amount of travel. When you change rates, the damping requirements change. In short, you can't (well, you can, just shouldn't) just slap coil-overs on and roll any more than you can do it with regular lowering springs (in fact it's more involved).

GC kits remove the stock spring and perch in front (and dust boot) and give you a coil-over sleeve, perch and 2.5" race spring and adapter to replace it with. Similar thing in the rear, and the rears use bare springs (which rust immediately) and come loose when the axle droops fwiw.

Awaiting Activation

SOM
    1998 T.A.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevenix View Post
    what would you suggest, keeping in mind that price is important, and I was hoping to stay under $400 to lower the car, and still have it street/track worthy. Can that be done?

Steve
    When you lower you really SHOULD do shocks too so when you factor that in no....

Around $700 for SLP Bilsteins and springs or a little less if you go KYB AGX I believe. I may be off a little because I haven't priced this in about 2 years since my Koni/Strano setup went on...

White
    2001 Z28

AGX's are $399 shipped, any decent spring will be around $250-275/set shipped.

Sorry to say, you get what you pay for, and $400 to get a decent suspension isn't that feasible. Decent shocks alone cost that, let alone great ones, let alone springs...
    Sam Strano
    SCCA National Champion (x6)
    SCCA ProSolo Class Champion (x5)
    2009 SCCA ProSolo Overall Champion
    Owner--Strano Performance Parts
    814-849-3450

COTM July '09

BLK/BLK w/CGM Stripes
    2010 Camaro 2SS/M6

I use them with Koni 4/4's and sway bars from Strano. 550lbs./in front and 175lbs./in rear spring rates. They're a p.i.t.a. to get on Koni's 'cos the top of the Koni's is larger than the threaded sleeve, so you have to unbolt the cylinder rod end cap to get it on; not sure if Koni will warranty it after that, I'm assuming they will 'cos I didn't modify anything but I guess we'll see when it comes time for a rebuild. The only issue is that since the rear spring is so stiff, it is short, and if you lift the car by the body, you'll have to make sure the top of the spring gets back into the spring perch when you lower the car. Minor annoyance, but I think it's worth it 'cos I can never be unsatisfied with the way my car sits.

Album ... http://easternfbody.com/forum/album.php?albumid=16

Pics when I first installed them on my Camaro:

Front...

Rear...

They're currently on my TransAm

PM me if you have any questions
    Last edited by Mean Green Z28; 11-21-2009 at 08:03 AM.

triple-black
    2000 CamaroSS convertible

I've had mine for many years... and working very great.
    Eugenio_SS
    almost stock triple-black 2000 SS convertible with 17x11s on all 4 w/ 315s at the track or on the street with 18x10.5s on all 4 w/ 315s: (1), (2)

Blue/Black
    2002 Camaro SS

Eugenio, you have any pictures on your car?

I have an SS, just wondered what yours looked like with that combo.

Quote Originally Posted by Eugenio_SS View Post
    I've had mine for many years... and working very great.

triple-black
    2000 CamaroSS convertible

click on the links in the signature... it'll give you an idea what it looks like.

Blue/Black
    2002 Camaro SS

Thanks, but...

I clicked on the picture on your signature and your user name, but only could find the enlarged photo of the one on your posts....the one with your car sitting in the woods on dead grass, front shot of car, with the wheels turned 45 degrees to driver's right.

No big deal, I already did the hose mod, and am satisfied with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Eugenio_SS View Post
    click on the links in the signature... it'll give you an idea what it looks like.

Thread Information