PEWTER
    2000 CAMARO SS #3821

Front swaybar help!

I was trying to install my new STRANO front bar and every clamshell bolt sheared off flush in the mounts. Does anybody know if those mount are removable to try and get the bolts out or replacable with new pieces? I figured the endlinks would all break but not these. I now have a drag-car with no front bar at all until I fix this.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Well if you mean you broke one of the saddle mount bolts then you may have to drill and tap it.. If you mean the end links you can cut them off to free them.. Moog makes very inexpensive HD end links for our cars..

PEWTER
    2000 CAMARO SS #3821

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Well if you mean you broke one of the saddle mount bolts then you may have to drill and tap it.. If you mean the end links you can cut them off to free them.. Moog makes very inexpensive HD end links for our cars..
    Yes, but all the saddle mount bolts broke off flush. I have new endlinks with the new bar but now the clam/saddle mounts need repair/replacement before I can proceed.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by SSTODD View Post
    Yes, but all the saddle mount bolts broke off flush. I have new endlinks with the new bar but now the clam/saddle mounts need repair/replacement before I can proceed.
    Ugh sounds like me whne I tried to remove my manifold Y pipe bolts.. total pita.. Maybe someone will be along with a better method of getting the broken bolts out.. I dont have mine here today so I cant go look.. IIRC tho you'll prolly have to drill and tap them out.. good luck

NBM
    1999 TA A4

If they broke off flush your only method will be some PB blaster to soak it over night.

Next a drill and easy out.

It's not going to be fun,but think of it as a learning experience,you should have PB'd the crap out of that shit last night.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by transamtom View Post
    If they broke off flush your only method will be some PB blaster to soak it over night.

Next a drill and easy out.

It's not going to be fun,but think of it as a learning experience,you should have PB'd the crap out of that shit last night.
    Agree,, would'nt have hurt PB works well.. I've sprayed bolts over prolly 50 years old let it sit over night and they came right out.. I've used whole cans of wd40 crap, and liquid swearalot and bolts just snapped off like I did nothing.. I've even had PB break loose bolts I could'nt even budge with the heat wrench..

PEWTER
    2000 CAMARO SS #3821

I did use pb blaster but maybe did not let it sit long enough? I found that the bolt-on brackets are still available new from the dealer for $20 each but they have no idea or p/n for the bolts anymore. The bolt head has 10.9 on them I believe, now I need to see if the bracket bolts to the frame will come out without shearing off.

NBM
    1999 TA A4

Quote Originally Posted by SSTODD View Post
    I did use pb blaster but maybe did not let it sit long enough? I found that the bolt-on brackets are still available new from the dealer for $20 each but they have no idea or p/n for the bolts anymore. The bolt head has 10.9 on them I believe, now I need to see if the bracket bolts to the frame will come out without shearing off.
    Just use some Grade 8 Bolts from the hardware store they will have 5 little dashes on top.

Thread Information