Front end alignment question

I have an 01 and the front pass wheel/tire is almost flush when looking down the fender from the top and the drivers side sits in about a inch.Something not right here or is that normal ? I do have a vibration thru the steering wheel when turning the wheel at a dead stop sometimes,but the car drives straight and no pulling or vibrating when driving ? The lug nuts are tight and there is no play in the wheel when the car is in the air. Can A front end alignment pull the wheel in more top and bottom ? Anyone ?

redls1bird
    your describing a camber problem. yes the camber can be adjusted, but relying on the eye to see a camber problem is unlikely. your camber (as well as most other adjustments for alignment) is measure in seconds of a degree, something you couldnt see without the help of a tool. if your car is not pulling, and the tires arent wearing unevenly (esp. on the inside edge) i would say you hav a body panel alignment issue, not a alignment issue. take it to a reputable shop and have an alignment done. if its that far out, it seems to me like something is bent and it should be pretty obvious. good luck.

My body panels look perfect.Everything lines up ,all gaps are good.I am a little puzzled.If it was in an accident at one time what would be bent under there to make this happen ?

redls1bird
    could be the hub itself, or the control arm. i still think that if you had an extreme camber problem, you would have other symptoms. also, if you only have a minor camber problem, you wouldnt be able to see it. sounds like a trip to the alignment shop.

Black
    1997 LT1 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Brianss1
    If it was in an accident at one time what would be bent under there to make this happen ?
    The spindle, I picked up a LS1 brake swap kit from someone from this site (i think) and the driverside spindle was slightly bent and cause a camber problem that i couldn't fix with a simple alignment.

I just looked under the car real good and noticed the lower control arm on the tire side that sticks out more appears to have been replaced,it looks almost new compared to the other side.The wheel looks straight up and down and side to side it just sticks out about an inch more then the other side.Anyone else know what I could look for or how I could check in to it.

Black
    1997 LT1 Z28

take it to the alignment shop and have them put it on there machine to see how bad it's off. You can only see parts if it's bent but trying to determine how far off is going to take precise measurments.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

It probably was in some sort of an accident-in a serious curb smack the control arm gets bent first.Some shops dont do a very good job of aligning it afterwards-go get an alignment.To the trained eye you can spot some alignment issues-but I'm betting that you have a body alignment issue-maybe the engine cradle is shoved over or something.All this would show up on a good alignment machine to a good operator.

I am going to get it checked out.Can the engine cradle area be moved backed over if it is pushed to one side or the other ?

Problem fixed,it was a bent spindle.Everything OK now.

Thread Information