Red
    2002 SS Camaro

Flex creases on the passenger quarter panel

when I bought my SS LE I noticed some creases on the passenger side quarter panel. I thought they were door dings because those are the only panels that are metal.

I figured out they are flex creases from wheel hop. A subframe connector is suppose to stop that from happening.

The other day I was getting on it hard and I felt some hard wheel hop. Later I noticed another flex crease.

I better install them soon, and get a paintless dent guy to fix thw minor creases.

2002 SS LE #2760 M6 Hurst w/white ball
    Bilstein Level II & Big Loud Exhaust
    SLP Cold Pack, diff cover, & grille.
    Bridgestone Potenza RE760

pie
    free

Have you decided on which SFC's you're going to get?

Red
    2002 SS Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by DanWS6 View Post
    Have you decided on which SFC's you're going to get?

Not knowing which is best, I've looked at the SLP only. I do know I want bolt-on only.

pie
    free

You should check out UMI performance, that's who I'll probably go with for mine, heard great things about their products.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by stimpster View Post
    Not knowing which is best, I've looked at the SLP only. I do know I want bolt-on only.
    Avoid SLP. Just in case you have any problems with the product, having your product come from a company that will back their stuff is nice.

I am with Dan. UMI.

Why are you against weld in??

NBM
    98 Mecham TA #4 of 14

SFC will do nothing for the rear of the car, only a roll cage will reinforce the rear structure of the car. The problem is a weak spot in the rear unitized frame rail just behind the rear seat back. If you put the car on jack stands and look you can see a weak spot/junction approx. where the rear spring seats into the body. Like mentioned before the quarter panels are a structural part of the rear of our cars and they do take some abuse as you can see. I think rough roads, pot holes, bad driving habbits ect. are far more to blame than torque. I have seen countless stock unmodified garage queens that had them...a few of them were mine. I have also repaired several F bodys that were in rear end collisions, this junction or crush zone is the first place they buckle...as they were designed to for safety purposes.

Yes, that weak spot was designed into the car intentionally...get used to the dimples.

The roof bar is tuff as hell and does not flex/distort at all, its like an integrated roll bar that continues behind the quarter panel and ties into the rocker panel. The quarter skin will flex but the roof bar doesnt flex, something has to give and this is why you get the dimples. The serious cars hanging the front wheels and torsionally twisting the body I can see adding to the problem but if you guys in your stockers or bolt on cars think you tweaking the body from torque then your dreaming. The rear of the car just hangs off the cabin erea of the car and theres nothing supporting it exept the unitized rails with a weak joint and a little suppt. from the quarter panels. You also have the fuel tank full of fuel, spare tire ect. all adding weight to the rear of the body that has little suppt. this combined with rough roads and the rear of the car constantly bouncing around "exagerated" along with torsional twisting will make the quarter skins flex just enough that the dimples show up. The rear coil springs sit right in the middle of the weak joint so they dont offer any support to anything behind that point and the rear overhang on our cars is pretty good. A roll cage prefferably one that mounts on the floor over the unitized frame rail is the best bet to suppt. the rear and keep the dimples from happening.

pie
    free

That's disappointing to hear. I don't want to put a roll cage in my car. I make a pretty decent amount of torque. Guess there's no launching my car hard then.

Maple Red Metalic (MRM)
    2000 TransAM WS7

IF you do SLP bolt-ins be rpepared to tweek things a bit to get the darn things to fit..

FAS02SS

Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS

SFC's

I installed JEG's bolt in SFC's, easy install and they were inexpensive. Seem pretty heavy duty and well made.

Thread Information