Red
    1998 Z-28

First Time Post (Suspension Question)

This is my first post since I am new to this website. I have a 98 Z-28 and I was changing my spring to either Eibach or BMR springs. Probably BMR since they only drop the car 1 inch. I was also getting Biltstein Shocks and Struts.

I was wondering if I should take my car to the dealer for the labor or is someone like Midas or Pepboys a reputable place. I guess I could only do it myself, but have time constraints at the moment!

Thanks

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

it's pretty basic work, so i don't see why a competent mechanic at a local garage couldn't do it.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

Quote Originally Posted by mrr23 View Post
    it's pretty basic work, so i don't see why a competent mechanic at a local garage couldn't do it.

+1 I'd skip the Pepboys or Midas seeing they are usually kids and not mechanics. A local shop will do good work to keep a good rep in town. (usually) Stop at a local car show and talk to a few car owners and asked around about a good local shop to go to and you'll find one easy that way.

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

Listen to the others. Do not take the car to the dealer - they will charge you an arm and a leg. Look around town for a local reputable shop.

triple-black
    2000 CamaroSS convertible

also, don't do the common mistake of choosing springs on amount of lowering... chose them for the spring rate they have... that's what dictates the handling characteristics.
    Eugenio_SS
    almost stock triple-black 2000 SS convertible with 17x11s on all 4 w/ 315s at the track or on the street with 18x10.5s on all 4 w/ 315s: (1), (2)

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Eugenio_SS View Post
    also, don't do the common mistake of choosing springs on amount of lowering... chose them for the spring rate they have... that's what dictates the handling characteristics.
    he's trying to say that the combination you've selected isn't gonna work properly

triple-black
    2000 CamaroSS convertible

not really... i said what i wanted to say.
    Basically define what type of ride you want and that should dictate the characteristics of your springs you want... then chose from the available ones that suit your needs.
    Once that is chosen, get shocks that appropriately dampen the spring of your choice... otherwise, it'll ride like $h!t.
    Trust me, I've learned the $ and long way, going through at least 7 different suspension setups.

Thread Information