Red
    2000 Trans Am A4

Feels like it's floating ???

I have a 2000 T/A auto, stock, 78K miles on it. When im driving on the highway it feels as though the front end is floating and I am all over my lane. As well as being horrible on uneven roads like following the roads dramatically. But if I am on a smooth road and let the steering wheel go it will not pull left or right to dramatic. I do have two different brand tires on the front right now, but that is going to get changed in the next couple weeks here. Also tire size on fronts are 255/40/18 and rear is 275/40/17. Also any ideas why previous owner put the 18" rims on front and 17" rims on back. They are corvette wheels not sure what year they are off of but they are a 5 spoke corvette rim not chrome.

2016 Camaro SS - Summit
    2001 Trans Am WS6 - NBM

I would definitely swap those 18's to the back, first things first. Absolutely no reason to have them up front, and it probably makes your car sit funny anyway. As far as the tracking, my car has done it since I've had it, not sure there is anything to cure it. I've had alignments done, been through a few sets of tires (I used to drive it 100 miles a day), and new shocks, etc. I think it's just the nature of the beast to track with ruts and dips and such in the road. The only thing I could tell you to check is tie rods and stabilizer bar up front, while you're swapping wheels...

2016 Summit White 1SS - The DD - Mishimoto catch can, Solo axleback & secondary cat delete, LED sidemarkers & reverse lights, head/taillight blackout, RCC custom badges
    2001 NBM Trans Am WS6 - Torquer V2 cam, Yank 3000 stall, Transgo kit, Racetronix fuel pump, TSP LTs, Magnaflow catback, Strano Springs/Koni STR.T shocks, 17x9.5/17x11 TTII's
    2000 Arctic White SS #1667 - Sold

Red
    2000 Trans Am A4

ok thanks for the tip im about to check on those. Any idea if 275/40/17s will fit on the front of the car or is it going to rub real bad ?

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 94formulaLT1 View Post
    ok thanks for the tip im about to check on those. Any idea if 275/40/17s will fit on the front of the car or is it going to rub real bad ?
    they will fit

Red
    2000 Trans Am A4

cool im switching the rims right now. i noticed the front tires have major fall off (as in alot more wear on the inside edge of the tire) on tire.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

wear on the inside of the tire can mean a few things. are the evenly worn on the inside or do you notice feathering? If they are worn smoothly on the inside the next question is why? It is a sign of excessive camber in the front suspension. This could be from sagging springs worn ball joints or control arm bushings. The car may just need an alignment but if the condition is from a worn part it is best to replace it even if the camber can be dialed out on the alignment machine. Before you go and ruin the 17's you are putting there check into why your suspension is out of alignment and remedy the situation.

Thread Information