Sebring Silver
    2000 Z

ebay lowering springs??

does anybody run any of the cheap lowerings springs on ebay??? should i stay away from them??

Quote Originally Posted by sweetZ28 View Post
    does anybody run any of the cheap lowerings springs on ebay??? should i stay away from them??
    Hello
    First welcome to the forum! Second I would look into seeing where they are manufactured. And if they have any R&D behind the product a lot of over seas companies just copy others products and yes they may be cheaper. But when if comes to $ and reliability I would choose the safe route and go with a company that has a reputation. And besides its help our economy.

But either way when you go with a set of lowering springs I would suggest going with a adjustable pan hard bar to allow you to adjust the rear end back under the vehicle due to they shift when you lower them causing possible clearance issues with the tires or suspension parts. Below is a link to show you what all UMI Performance has to offer.

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...goiamv8t2s9pf5

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
    Thanks
    Brad

black
    1999 camaro SS

here's some name brands that you can google to see if you like them

eibach springs
    strano springs
    SLP springs
    BMR springs
    edelbrock springs

I would suggest going with a spring that is more well known compared to a no name eBay spring because more people have had experience with these (well known brand) springs and many threads have been made about such experiences and they can give you good peeks at the real life performance of any spring your considering, making your decision way easier to make on which direction you want to go with your ride height

2010 Camaro

BMR is not currently a sponsor, so I will try to make this a TECHNICAL post, not a sales post. This post explains the manufacturing process for quality, American-made springs. If the E-bay springs include all of these manufacturing steps, then you should buy them. If not, you need to understand that the springs will eventually sag and you will need to replace them. All of our springs have a LIFETIME WARRANTY against spring sag.

Spring manufacturing requires expensive capital equipment, so we outsource this activity to a company that specializes in spring manufacturing. Spring manufacturing is a fascinating process, so I would like to share some facts about our springs:

1) Our springs are manufactured from chrome silicon high-tensile spring wire. This is the best spring wire available for automotive applications. Most NASCAR teams use this type of spring wire for their designs.

2) Each of our springs is computer tested as the last step of the manufacturing process. Every spring...not just a sample from each batch. EVERY SPRING!! Each spring is loaded in the spring tester at the factory. The spring is compressed and the CNC Load Cell measures the force for a variety of spring lengths. The computer takes this data and compares it to our quality specs. Bad springs (if any) are kicked out and the good ones are sent to us. Per our requirements, the test data for each and every spring is electronically sent to us.

3) Our springs are cold wound on a CNC Coiling Machine. The CNC coiling head can adjust the spring diameter in real time to ensure that every spring is the same as the other springs. This guarantees that your right spring matches your left spring!!

4) Every spring is compressed solid at the factory. Not once, but twice. This gives the spring its permanent set...and guarantees NO SAG. This allows us to offer a lifetime warranty against spring sag.

5) Our springs are stress-relieved at 750 degrees F. This ensures that most stresses induced during the winding process are eliminated. This process is necessary to achieve the repeatable high-quality product that we offer!!

6) All springs are shot-peened to eliminate residual surface stresses. Many spring manufacturers skip this step. We insist on this operation as part of our spring manufacturing process.

A few more notes:

1) Our springs are Proudly Made in the USA!!! Costs are minimized and quality is maintained using CNC manufacturing equipment. Shipping costs are low. No boats. No planes. No custom fees passed on to the customer. Just good old American manufacturing ingenuity!!

2) Our springs are manufactured by a spring company that has been making springs for over 140 years. Think about it...when GM was founded in 1908, this spring company had already been making springs for 40 years.

3) Our springs are manufactured by a family-owned spring company. The same family has owned this company for 140+ years (6 generations). No corporate bail-outs. No passing the buck. When your name has been on the door for 140 years, you make sure that you own the best spring manufacturing equipment available.

RED (M6)
    2001 Camaro SS 13.39@106

How many inches of drop are they on average?

black
    1999 camaro SS

bmr springs give you a 1 inch drop. I just recently took out my bmr springs and replaced them with eibach sportlines ONLY because I want a lower stance. besides that, bmr makes a great spring!! I have bmr rod end LCA's, PHB and also have their re-lo brackets.

great products, competitive prices and great customer service

White
    2002 Camaro z28

I'm glad I found this thread...
    I'm looking into lowering my Z and suspension work is all new to me. I'm not lowering for performance enhancement, I'm really only concerned with getting the more aggressive look. The performance is just an added bonus. If I was to purchase the BMR lowering springs is there anything else I need to buy to accommodate the springs? Such as shocks or struts or anything else? I don't want to ruin the ride and I worry about the stock shocks bottoming out if you know what I mean.

Navy Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

Imo, also take a good look at the following lowering springs:

Hotchkis, Vogtland (makes Strano springs), H&R.

FYI, you can get the Vogtland lowering springs for About $178.

http://www.hotpart.com/shop/index.ph...duct_list&c=19

Lowering is a compromise, and good shocks are required to control the stiffer springs(KYB AGX, Bilstein, Koni SA's), otherwise you'll quickly learn to dislike driving your car.
    Last edited by Blue28; 07-22-2010 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Reposting sponsor link

2010 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by xmarkx View Post
    bmr springs give you a 1 inch drop. I just recently took out my bmr springs and replaced them with eibach sportlines ONLY because I want a lower stance. besides that, bmr makes a great spring!! I have bmr rod end LCA's, PHB and also have their re-lo brackets.

great products, competitive prices and great customer service
    Thanks for your support!! Our current springs actually have a 1.25" drop. The older design was 1.0" drop.

2010 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by djeazyg View Post
    I'm glad I found this thread...
    I'm looking into lowering my Z and suspension work is all new to me. I'm not lowering for performance enhancement, I'm really only concerned with getting the more aggressive look. The performance is just an added bonus. If I was to purchase the BMR lowering springs is there anything else I need to buy to accommodate the springs? Such as shocks or struts or anything else? I don't want to ruin the ride and I worry about the stock shocks bottoming out if you know what I mean.
    If you buy a lowering spring from any company, you should install an adjustable panhard bar and a set of relocation brackets. When you lower the car, you change the angle of the lower control arm. This will hurt your launch and may affect your car under hard braking. The relocation bracket allows a lowered car to correct the lower control arm geometry.

You also need an adjustable panhard bar. After you lower an F-Body, the rear axle housing will not be centered in the body. An adjustable panhard bar allows you to adjust the length of the bar so that the rear axle housing is centered.

You can drive a lowered car without these 2 parts, but you should change them as soon as the budget allows.

black
    1997 Camaro ss

I'd reccomend Stranos

2002 Camaro

Just want to throw my $.02 in. When lowering a car after adjusting your panhard rod you'll want to take it and get a front end alignment. Lowering the car throws off your front camber adjustment.

Thread Information