Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red
    98 Trans Am

Drive sahft loop ... not happy.

Well i recently installed a UMI Tunnel Brace with Driveshaft Loop and for the record its great minus one thing... Its a bit low. And on a lowered car, Too low. Ive already scraped HARD on a few speed bumps around post. I mean Hard. Heres the product. Im only 1.2" lowered and still have Spring Isolators in.
    This thing sits lower than my left side of my ypipe. Any susgestions? I want a Sturdy Tunnel brace and i would like a loop too, but not at the cost of saftly driving on the streets. I love UMI stuff so dont get me wrong, just didnt know this thing sits so low. I wonder if some 1/2" BMR front Shock spacers will help. I hope I can keep on. Looks good though. Its a heavy duty piece.

Red
    98 Trans Am

Apparently there are two types of DS loops they sell. I got the one for All Longtube setups but i think mine can run the one that sits up higher then this one. anyone with the other style DS loop (straight brace, not angled)?

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Well you've got the one that dips lower, for longtubes I believe. What did you expect? If it wasn't lower than your y pipe, it wouldn't fit. Prolly should have gotten this one.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

^^ Same style UMI that I have and it fits great with my Kooks and Magnaflow system:

Red
    98 Trans Am

I think the one you guys have will fit with mine. The one i have dip way to far. Theres alot of room between the exhuast and Brace. I not running kooks but i think it will work. Heres a pic right before install of TA and DS loop. I think the other one will clear.

Last edited by JoshuaGrooms83; 01-15-2011 at 12:53 AM.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaGrooms83 View Post
    I think the one you guys have will fit with mine. The one i have dip way to far. Theres alot of room between the exhuast and Brace. I not running kooks but i think it will work. Heres a pic right before install of TA and DS loop. I think the other one will clear.
    Click for full size
    Click for full size
    Looks pretty rough under there.

Red
    98 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by GatorSS View Post
    Looks pretty rough under there.
    lol yeah that was from a tailshaft seal going out on me. Keeps rust at bay but makes for a very dirty undercarrage lol cleaned it up a week or so ago witht an under carrage wash and some wiping down. Need to detail the undercarrage a bit i know lol

Red
    98 Trans Am

My current ground clearance. I think i can fit the other brace and loop.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I have the same issue with running the BMR Trak Pak torque arm. The cross-member for the TA front mount scrapes HARD going over speed bumps. I'm also sitting on Strano springs.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

From the pics, looks like the other style should work fine.

Red
    98 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Thas what im thinking. My system tucks up under the car pretty good so from the pictures I think the other one can fit. If anything a shim or two might have to be used to give it some space.

Yeah im running Vogtland springs, about the same as Stranos in ride height. I took my car off post for the first ime yesterday witht the loop in and hit the speed bumps they have at the gate HARD. My wife was freaking out thinking we got hit by somthing.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

+1. If it was really close anyway with the other one, a couple of washers between the ds lop and the floor of the car would give enough clearance no doubt.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    +1. If it was really close anyway with the other one, a couple of washers between the ds lop and the floor of the car would give enough clearance no doubt.

Agreed. Just make sure to re-set your pinion angle with the new unit as it may be positioned differently. On our car, I had to lop off the upper parts of the plates that are bolted onto each side of the front torque arm mount. I have a PST driveshaft and it was simply way too close for comfort.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

My current ground clearance. I think i can fit the other brace and loop.
    Click for full size
    Click for full size
    Click for full size
    Click for full size
    Ouch! That's just way too little ground clearance for a street ride. Great for the track or strip, though.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Agreed. Just make sure to re-set your pinion angle with the new unit as it may be positioned differently.
    I don't think his is for a tunnel mounted ta, it's just the drive shaft loop.

I have the SLP drive shaft loop. Despite having the letters "SLP" on it, it fits great. My car isn't lowered but you can see in this pic it looks more friendly. I don't know why UMI made the whole thing boxed like that. Seems it needlessly reduces clearance.

Last edited by INMY01TA; 01-17-2011 at 07:08 PM.

Red
    98 Trans Am

I have the SLP drive shaft loop. Despite having the letters "SLP" on it, it fits great. My car isn't lowered but you can see in this pic it looks more friendly. I don't know why UMI made the whole thing boxed like that. Seems it needlessly reduces clearance.

Click for full size
    Ill trade you lol
    yeah UMI definatly makes it beefy. Its actually heavy.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I went back and looked at the pics again -- you're right, it's not a tunnel mount. In that case, the OP should take the one he has and simply modify it. Lop off the ends and the loop, run a piece of rectangular tubing across to each end, weld it back up, weld on the loop and be done with it. Cheaper, easier and faster than ordering a new one. Besides, he's already toasted the powdercoat running over shit with it.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

I went back and looked at the pics again -- you're right, it's not a tunnel mount. In that case, the OP should take the one he has and simply modify it. Lop off the ends and the loop, run a piece of rectangular tubing across to each end, weld it back up, weld on the loop and be done with it. Cheaper, easier and faster than ordering a new one. Besides, he's already toasted the powdercoat running over shit with it.
    That's right about when you'd realize you can make one of them for less than 50 bucks worth of material..

Which is what I'd have done in the first place.. Just my .02..
    Last edited by Smittro; 01-18-2011 at 02:52 AM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Red
    98 Trans Am

Wish i knew this one sat so low and that the other one would have fit, wouldnt have been in this situation. Oh well. live and learn. Didnt think it wuold sit that low.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Wish i knew this one sat so low and that the other one would have fit, wouldnt have been in this situation. Oh well. live and learn. Didnt think it wuold sit that low.

Exactly. I couldn't even tell you how much I have spent on stuff that simply did not work out as planned. That's why I like this site so much -- on our T/A I have been able to ask all the questions before buying and have avoided this dilemma.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information