Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2001 Trans Am Ws6

Doing my first build, looking to lower.

I'm looking to lower my T/A about an inch to inch and a half, any preferences on these levels? Will I be fine on road clearance? And what brand would be able to handle power and be a nice ride for a weekend cruiser? I was looking at koni's and eibach's but don't know how anyone felt about certain brands, just looking for info furthering the stickies. Further suspension adds would be nice also

Strano SP141's are a nice lowering/handling spring when combined with Koni's (1st choice) or anything else he sells (2nd choice).

Support equipment for that lowering would include our adjustable PHB, relocation brackets and lower control arms.

How much you add parts-wise beyond the springs and dampers is up to you and your goals and budget.

Let us know what you need.

ramey
    Ramey Womer
    Product Development Engineer
    ramey@umiperformance.com
    Join us on Facebook!

2001 Trans Am Ws6

I got a pretty good budget, trying to do everything right the first time, starting with suspension, drivetrain etc.. so would you reccomend strano over eibach? Also, is it the subframe connector under the hood? Or is this the one that does underneath, on the sides?

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by pbguy357 View Post
    I got a pretty good budget, trying to do everything right the first time, starting with suspension, drivetrain etc.. so would you reccomend strano over eibach? Also, is it the subframe connector under the hood? Or is this the one that does underneath, on the sides?
    The shock tower brace is under the hood, the Subframe Connectors are underneath.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

silver/black
    00 trans am,SLP,Ws6

Subframe connector's are under the car, tower brace is under the hood.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Lowering a 4th gen that much will mean you'll likely scrap bottom everywhere.

just my .02

2001 Trans Am Ws6

Well shit, like I said this is my first build from ground up, just got out of college, been away from cars for a bit and forgot the proper name for the strut brace not trying for jokes here. my 3rd gen has subframes on it but couldn't think of word. But I'm wanting it to have about the same clearance as a vette, I like that look. Just looking for help to start off first build because of lack of performance shops in area. Smittro, what would you recommend? I have a bone stock Ws6 M6 that just turned 15k miles, all I have now is SLP lid on it to help her breath.
    Last edited by pbguy357; 06-15-2012 at 05:07 PM.

I'd put Strano SP141's on it with Bilstein SLP's and a UMI adjustable Panhard. And then enjoy the performance. If it doesn't corner flat enough, add our 35/22 sway bars.

ramey

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Well shit, like I said this is my first build from ground up, just got out of college, been away from cars for a bit and forgot the proper name for the strut brace not trying for jokes here. my 3rd gen has subframes on it but couldn't think of word. But I'm wanting it to have about the same clearance as a vette, I like that look. Just looking for help to start off first build because of lack of performance shops in area. Smittro, what would you recommend? I have a bone stock Ws6 M6 that just turned 15k miles, all I have now is SLP lid on it to help her breath.
    Quote Originally Posted by UMI Sales View Post
    I'd put Strano SP141's on it with Bilstein SLP's and a UMI adjustable Panhard. And then enjoy the performance. If it doesn't corner flat enough, add our 35/22 sway bars.

ramey
    Check out what Mr. UMI is speaking about.

Many people are using those pieces and parts @ various levels and are very happy.

Also though you should consider frame connectors ,above most others as part of your first mods or a good starting point.

You will also loose the same clearance as the thinkness of the connectors as they hang lower than the floor pans.

Add that to your drop figures and .....scrape!!!!

Personally since you've asked I would'nt lower it.

You can achieve your handling goals, and ride quality @ stock height, minus most of the ground clearance issues.

Black/ Silver

I am lowered 1.2" and my car doesn't scrape everywhere.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    I am lowered 1.2" and my car doesn't scrape everywhere.
    I find that hard to believe considering my 01 Camaro sat @ stock height and scraped alot.

Personally,, the last thing I would want to do is have to be overly cautious of where I can and can't go.

Or having to travel slower than I can walk to get down a dirt lane or gravel driveway.

So I purchased a Hummer, now if a hung up bottomed out 4th gen gets in teh way, I can just run it over..

Black/ Silver

Well believe it or not it is true. But the roads I drive on are in pretty good condition. And the car isn't a daily driver so that makes a difference.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Well believe it or not it is true. But the roads I drive on are in pretty good condition. And the car isn't a daily driver so that makes a difference.
    I hear ya, you don't even want to know about our roads..

Pittsburgh is the pothole capital of the US..

Black/ Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    I hear ya, you don't even want to know about our roads..

Pittsburgh is the pothole capital of the US..
    Lol true it is. I was up there visiting my brother in my C4 and there were potholes everywhere, my driving was kinda zigzagging . Nice area though.

black
    02 Z28 and 00 SS

Scraping also depends on how good your exhaust is setup since thats the first thing to scrape. Both my cars are lowered on summit springs and I haven't had any issue with them. Cheaper springs yea but ive heard strano start to sag in the rear after a year.
    2002 Camaro Z28, A4, MS4 cam, underdrive pulley, Pacesetter LTs with ORX true duals
    2000 Camaro SS, M6, SLP LTs with ORX true duals

Black/ Silver

I thought that it was Eibachs that sag after some time, not Stranos.

2001 Trans Am Ws6

Ok, so ordering Strano SP141 with bilstein's. SLP bolt on subframe connectors and shock tower brace at the moment and looking into the UMI adjustable Panhard. Excited, sounds like I'll enjoy the handling. Sound like a good start?

black
    02 Z28 and 00 SS

its hit miss im guessing. Ive heard stranos and Ive heard eibach sag. Ive got a set of of eibach sportlines sitting on the shelf i cant get rid of right now. Not many people have used the summit springs on here that I have seen but the ones I have in my Z have been in for 3 years and havent sagged yet and I race with them.

- - - Updated - - -

OP anything by umi is going to be a great addition to your car.

Black/ Silver

I have UMI double adjustable panhard bar w/roto-joints, LCAs w/roto-joints, LCA relocation brackets, upper panhard relocation, 3 point SFCs. I have not put them on yet but they definitely quality pieces.

Ok, so ordering Strano SP141 with bilstein's. SLP bolt on subframe connectors and shock tower brace at the moment and looking into the UMI adjustable Panhard. Excited, sounds like I'll enjoy the handling. Sound like a good start?
    Sounds good to me!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information