Bright Red
    99 Z28 M6, 03 Gixxer 1000

Did I waste my money??

I just got a set of used Bilstein struts with the Eibach kit from a Pick-Apart store on ebay with 30K on them. I have a stock 99 Z28. Do I need to get one of the adjustable PHB to go with these? and were they even worth buying?

White
    2001 Z28

Bilstein's aren't originally meant for lowering springs, so most likely you got something that's not ideal with the springs. There are a few exceptions. SLP Bilstein's are valved to match SLP Eibach springs. We have Revalved a lot of Bilstien's for proper use with lowering springs. But chances are just based on pure numbers you don't have those.

Add to that there are two different Bilstein HD valvings, and while neither should be used for lowering springs, one is MUCH worse (and frankly pretty much a yellow DeCarbon). Add to that there are more Eibach springs than you an shake a stick at. There are separate kits for V-6, LT1, and LS1's. And then there are Pro-kits and Sportlines for each. And then there are two different Eibach made and marked kit that came from SLP, for a total of 8 could be sets.

Did you waste your money? I don't think you have an ideal situation, but it depends on what you paid and what you actually end up getting. But the chances of having a good matched setup of shocks and springs is pretty low.

And adjustable PHB is always a good idea when lowering a car to compensate for the shifting of the axle side to side that comes with the body side PHB mount dropping, but the axle side one staying at the same height. Do you absolutely NEED one? No, but it's smart money and has handling benefits too.

Bright Red
    99 Z28 M6, 03 Gixxer 1000

Thanks for all the info. This set came off of a 99 Trans Am. Given the place that I bought it from, they don't know if this was the SLP option for the T/A that year or something the owner put on afterwards. When I get them, will I be able to tell if they were a factory option or an aftermarket item?

Thanks for your help

Paid 2 Post Daycrew SexOnWheels's Avatar

Blood Red
    Z28

Wow good to have you 'back' Sam!!!

All the members here will benefit from you being a sponsor on this website.

We need a Strano spring GP, it will sell out your current stock for sure..

triple-black
    2000 CamaroSS convertible

welcome back, Sam !!!
    Eugenio_SS
    almost stock triple-black 2000 SS convertible with 17x11s on all 4 w/ 315s at the track or on the street with 18x10.5s on all 4 w/ 315s: (1), (2)

Thread Information