Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

Cornering G Forces...

I just got a G-Tech SS meter and pulled a 1.1 G on a flat corner running street tires with out squealing the tires at all. I'm sure I could pull higher if I pushed it more. What are other people running for G's? I know G's don't really mean that much when talking about good handling, but I'm just curious what others are pushing.

triple-black
    2000 CamaroSS convertible

I can bet that the scale is nowhere accurate.
    Eugenio_SS
    almost stock triple-black 2000 SS convertible with 17x11s on all 4 w/ 315s at the track or on the street with 18x10.5s on all 4 w/ 315s: (1), (2)

Blog Entries

2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

What scale? I've always heard G-Techs are accurate when it comes to cornering G's as long as they are mounted tight and leveled. I'm not sure what you mean. Could you clarify for me a bit? Thanks.

Jesus died to save you! Killer_bluebird's Avatar

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Black Trans-Am
    I just got a G-Tech SS meter and pulled a 1.1 G on a flat corner running street tires with out squealing the tires at all. I'm sure I could pull higher if I pushed it more. What are other people running for G's? I know G's don't really mean that much when talking about good handling, but I'm just curious what others are pushing.
    I have a couple questions?
    1. Did you calibrate the Gtech?
    2. What suspension mods do you have?

The reason I ask is that 1.1G on street tires is a stout number. Heck a Stock Viper or Corvertte don't corner that hard on street tires. On Road Racing slicks a Viper and a Corvette can pull those numbers. A stock TA or Z28 will do about .84G on street tires. An SS an Firehawk with the Level II suspension will pull about .91G or so. So let me say if you are driving around an pulling over 1G on the street you are been stupid and putting yourself in danger and possibly other people. So I'm inclined to throw the flag.

On a empty parking lot without having time to tune my shocks and on worn tires I pulled .92G turning Right and .84G turning Left. This is low speed turning measured with the Gtech Pro Competition in Road Racing mode. I'll let you know more solid numbers once I go to open track day and shake the car down and tune the suspension on the track. You can see my mods in the sig. Granted Higher speed cornering will yield higher Lateral G forces but doing this on the street is dumb. Go to the track and keep it safe.

Just for reference here is MotorTrends 2000 WS6 review
    http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...ws6/index.html

Here is Motortrends comparison on a roadcourse of a corvette and a 911. They are both pulling 1.2g at 60mph
    2000 NBM Camaro Z28
    Mods:
    SLP Lid & K&N, AHR Headers + 3" catted Y and Mangaflow, !EGR, !AIR, BMR CM STB, ST Front 35mm and Hellwig Adj. Rear 22mm Swaybar, Adj. Rod/Rod PHB, Koni SA's, Ground Control Springs & Adj. Ride height, and HPTuners.

Gwhat?

Blog Entries

2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

Sorry about pulling this out from last month, but I havn't had time to be on here.

I did calibrate the meter. For the suspension I have Eibach Pro-kit, KYB AGX shocks set about mid level, sub-frame connectors, BMR extreme strut tower brace, Hotchkiss lower control arms w/relocation brackets, Strano parts 35/22 sway bars, adjustable pan hard bar, 18 X 9.5 wheels with 285/35 rear 275/35 fronts inflated on the firm side with about 3k miles on them. I don't need to go really that fast to pull good G's. I regulary pull .85 - .92 just whipping corners a little fast and not being dangerous or anything. The 1.1 was in an empty lot with a bit of speed, but not to fast. I havn't had a chance to do more testing since then. Heck, I havn't even had time to do a 1/4 mile run with it yet! I'm sure more people than me can pull the numbers. My car rides and handles MUCH different than stock. It does turn alot harder than a stock vette/SS/WS-6. I never drove a viper so I can't say about that one. I'm sure if more people had the G meter they could get about the same with similar mods and good tires.
    When you get some better tires try again and let me know how you do. Do you have stock shocks/springs? I did see them in your sig. If you have stock that might be the big difference. That's when I really started to turn good.

Thread Information