Control Arms bent?

I bought my 2000 SS years ago wrecked. The car could never be completely aligned so I'm assuming something is bent. I can't visibly see a problem is there any way to tell?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by thephalanx View Post
    I bought my 2000 SS years ago wrecked. The car could never be completely aligned so I'm assuming something is bent. I can't visibly see a problem is there any way to tell?

For each car they have a chart that provides measuring points to check for bent stuff. Any body shop with a frame machine should have access to this if you have a friend in the business.

This might be my best bet huh. In case the chance the frame is bent. hrm I have no friends haha

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I did a quick search on the internet and came up with 1st and 2nd gen dimensions, but nothing that covers our cars.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

explain could never be completely aligned. give me some specs from the alignment.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

Quote Originally Posted by mrr23 View Post
    explain could never be completely aligned. give me some specs from the alignment.
    Well I got an alignment after the car was rebuilt. This was 6 years ago. I should be able to dig up the printout. The shop just told me it couldn't be perfectly aligned. I was figuring it was the frame and didn't want to mess with it, but it could be simpler. I'll get back with the alignment specs.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

well WHAT couldn't be completely aligned? Caster Camber Toe Thrust angle? Best bet is to get a body shop to measure the chassis itself for misalignment. There are too many parts in the suspension that can cause you to be unable to reach spec. If you are sure the chassis is ok then you can begin to diagnose suspension parts. But it would be very important to know what measurement fails to reach spec.

Here are my before and after alignment specs:

BEFORE
    -------
    AFTER

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

The caster on the front passenger wheel could be due to something as simple as a worn control arm bushing. I'm not sure how you would be able to bend a control arm and still get the toe and camber into spec. The measurement to be more concerned about is the thrust angle. This measures the relationship of the front wheels to the back. If they were perfectly lined up then your thrust angle would equal 0.0 I still suggest having the car checked out by a body shop to be sure that the chassis is perfectly straight. If it is then all of this can be fixed with bolt on parts. the thrust angle could be fixed with an adjustable panhard bar and the caster might possibly be a worn bushing. Again fixing it with bolt ons only makes sense if the chassis is straight. SO first things first. get the car checked out.

yeah i do think taking it to a shop is the obvious answer. Then hope for the best. What's interesting is that I snapped a Panhard bar on this car seemingly out of no where. I've never taken it to the track or really driven it that hard. I think it broke on the highway. I'll get to the shop and post the outcome

Red
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

It could even just be a misaligned front K-member. IDK honestly how F-body K-members line up, but I know theirs an alignment hole in my Thunderbird front K-Member that you put a certain size rod in to align the K-member to the chassis. That definitely affects the alignment at least on my t-bird.

Just a thought.

02 WS6 Stock

I hate to bump an old thread but i can't PM you (i guess since i'm new). I am having the same problems with my thrust angle and was wondering if you ever got your sorted out?

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

if the chassis is good then the easy fix is an adjustable panhard and an alignment to bring it into spec

I have not actually tackled this yet. I have collected parts to do a bit of a rebuild. I believe my hub support control arm (I forget what its called) is bent. I have a replacement. I also picked up a set of shocks that will go in and I've replaced the sway bars. This all is my next project but its been next for a while. Damn I posted this over a year ago, guess I should get on it.

silver
    2000 formula

the GM manual has the frame specs in it

Black
    Y2K Camero SS

I beleave the panhard bar only adjusts the rear side to side and not the rear thrust line ,I beleave you will need adjustable lower control arms
    Johnny
    Y2K SS (SLP #239)
    Completly STOCK heads/bore/stroke/weight
    & NOTHING else ---is stock
    "NAW-NAW- just a Sunday goto meeting car, my best time is not in the 12's------- any more "
    ps: I am not soliticing work as I am retired
    >>>info on alignments
    http://www.jgruggles.com

I just finished my suspension work: Strano springs and Bilstein shocks. I also swapped out my passenger spindle which was the potential culprit. Booking an appointment at the frame shop this week

02 WS6 Stock

Why do you think it was the spindle? Looks like the entire axle housing is skewed to the right and the drivers side axle and/or housing is bent.

Are you getting any vibration?

Thread Information