black
    2001 firebird formula

clunk in right front corner when going over bumps

Hi, sorry this is a bit wordy, but any advise would be appreciated...

I have a 2001 Firebird Formula.

In 2002, I replaced my springs with the Eibach Pro-kit lower springs, BMR adjustable panhard rod & new front struts (a generic brand I bought from a local auto part store).

I drove the car for about 35000 miles, I then put the car in storage for 2 years without driving it at all. I did not put the car on jack stands, but left it sit on a set of junk tires.

6 months ago, I took it out of storage and am now driving it again, but the ride is extremely harsh (the harsh ride existed before I put it in storage as well). I heard that the Eibach Pro's are not suppose to reduce ride quality significantly over stock springs. It also seems like the car sits lower in the front then it did before (I can only fit 1 finger between the top of front tire & fender). I am also now getting a "clunking" sound from the right front when going over large bumps.

My question is this...what should I replace? Will new shocks/struts fix this? Do I need to purchase new springs as well or are my old ones still good? Was wondering what the life expectancy of the Eibach springs are. With our roads in Michigan as BAD as they are...many potholes, should I re-install the factory springs? Bad bearings or ball joints (I can't feel any play in the wheel when jacked up)? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Tie Rod, Ball Joints.

black
    2001 firebird formula

I spoke with a # of people, some say just replace the shocks & the ride will be ok. Others however say that shocks will only control "bounce", & the ride & ride height are determined completely by the springs (mine are the eibach pro series). Can anyone add to this???

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

OK the front end ride is controlled by both spring rate and struts. In the rear ride is controlled by spring rate and shock. Changing springs is always a double edged sword to me because #1 you throw the geometry of the cars suspension out the window unless you take all the corrective measures to improve the over all suspension. #2 If you go with a lowering spring the spring’s rate has to be changed to compensate for the loss of travel. If you took a stock spring and cut it to lower the car it would be bottoming out on small bumps. With the right strut and shock package the over all ride will feel better than a stock spring, strut and shock package but may feel like a bit rougher ride. Shocks are simple they compress at certain rate and extend at a certain rate and on some these rates are adjustable but the spring and the shock or strut work together to produce a ride quality. Struts are structural and they are a little helper to the spring and a shock at the same time. Basically if you have a spring with a certain ratting and the strut or shock’s rebound and compression rates don’t match up well with that spring on any car it is going to ride like crap and handle about as bad to where you may have a lot of over steer or a lot of under steer, pitch roll and yaw. If you want to lower your car with a set of springs make sure you by a kit (springs, struts, shocks, and even sway bars some times) or eventually replace everything with what came in the kit. These companies put a lot of time, experience, testing, and data logging into the parts that end up in these kits so that the car will respond in a positive way to the changes your making. Also make sure it is someone who actually took the time to test it out first. If you only replace one piece of the puzzle it is not going to be right all the time. I changed just struts and shocks on mine to replace the 90xxx mile stockers and I do not like the compression and rebound rates of these KYB’s but loved another set of KYB’s I got in a total suspension package for a 3rd gen. Sometimes it is just personal preference and you have to find out what works for you. But when you’re making a purchase of springs call and talk to them to see if they have a shock and strut recommendation to fit your needs before you end up with ten sets of shocks and struts lying around.

black
    2001 firebird formula

Smile

Thanks for clearing that up for me! That makes alot of sense about purchasing the entire suspension system instead of just individual componants.

Thread Information