2000 black T/A Vert
    Red 99 C5 Coupe sold

Can an 02 Trans Am be made to handle as well as a C5?

I know anything is possible with enough money, but can it be done by changing shocks, springs, sway bars, bigger wheels and tires etc?
    thanks,
    Shawn

Silver
    1997 camaro z28

i dont know man its hard to beat IRS for the curves. The c5 is much lighter also. But if you do SFC, sway bars, LCA, lower it, change shocks, and panhard bar, and then get the rear centered...probably be runnin with em.

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

Shocks are a huge upgrade on F-bodies....My bilstein Hd shocks are my fav mod to date

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

in all reality ..a f will never handle like a c5..y-body right?

Navy Blue Metallic (NBM)
    2002 Camaro SS

A F-Body can be made to handle as well as (or better than) a stock C5, but will never ride as well, and then the C5 can be modded to handle that much better. But if you want your car to handle it can hand stock C5 cars their heads, just don't run with the really modded C5s.

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

I've done SFC, LCA, PHB, STB, 18" wheels, Pro-kit springs, Adjustable struts, bigger front and rear Sway bars for suspension mods and I can pull a 1.1G on the street. I drove a 05 C6 Z51 and the best I pulled with it was a .98G on the same roads. I think that is an awsome number for a stock suspension car. The ride was much softer in the vette and it is quicker steering, but my f-bod does handle better which is better, but rides much harsher so that is worse. So to answere your question, yes you can make a f-bod handle as good or better than a stock vette. If I could out handle a C6 I'm sure there wouldn't be any problem with a C5 either. You won't have as nice as a ride though. The independent suspension really makes the rear nice and solid in the corners with the vette. I could feel the rear of my f-bod get jittery where the vette was smother in some rougher corners.

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Black Trans-Am View Post
    I've done SFC, LCA, PHB, STB, 18" wheels, Pro-kit springs, Adjustable struts, bigger front and rear Sway bars for suspension mods and I can pull a 1.1G on the street. I drove a 05 C6 Z51 and the best I pulled with it was a .98G on the same roads. I think that is an awsome number for a stock suspension car. The ride was much softer in the vette and it is quicker steering, but my f-bod does handle better which is better, but rides much harsher so that is worse. So to answere your question, yes you can make a f-bod handle as good or better than a stock vette. If I could out handle a C6 I'm sure there wouldn't be any problem with a C5 either. You won't have as nice as a ride though. The independent suspension really makes the rear nice and solid in the corners with the vette. I could feel the rear of my f-bod get jittery where the vette was smother in some rougher corners.
    Very well put. Seems like the answer is "Yes it can handle better #'s wise on paper, but it will prol never ride as nice at the same time."

I went to Playboy Mansion FantaZGuy28's Avatar

YJ
    04 GTO M6

C5(3100lbs) > Fbody (3400) Around 300 lbs of crap, and for every 100 lbs its about 1/10th off your 1/4 mile time. Stock C5 suspension < Modded Fbody suspension.

black
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Black Trans-Am View Post
    agreed. ive got my suspension set up pretty nice, for me. its definatly not as smooth as a vette but it will perform on par with ease.

Thread Information