Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: brake help!!!!

2000 Trans Am

Arrow brake help!!!!

I have the worst troubles with the stock pads and rotors that came with my 2000 trans am. I want to upgrade to a better brake system does anyone have any ideas???

triple-black
    2000 CamaroSS convertible

what's your budget... best bang for buck is to get Brembo OEM rotors (blank) forget slotted/drilled (they will hinder braking performance) and good pads.
    If your budget allows more... I'd say upgrade for the C5 brake upgrade with good pads.
    no need upgrading the rear.
    Eugenio_SS
    almost stock triple-black 2000 SS convertible with 17x11s on all 4 w/ 315s at the track or on the street with 18x10.5s on all 4 w/ 315s: (1), (2)

2000 Trans Am

so you think that slot and drilled are a waste of money through brembo.....and should i just replace the rear rotors or all four ........my budget can afford brembo .......thanks for the help

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

i put slotted and drilled on both of my cars. no pads, only rotors. the cars stop better. and, i don't see how they hinder braking, when all the major race teams use them. and, i haven't had any crack, yet.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

2000 Trans Am

you put slot and drilled rotors on front and back?...what kind did you use.....and what kind of brake pads did you use?

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

wholesale direct stock rotors slotted and drilled with zinc plating. whatever pads were on the cars when i bought them.

2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by mrr23 View Post
    wholesale direct stock rotors slotted and drilled with zinc plating. whatever pads were on the cars when i bought them.
    wholesale direct stock???

triple-black

Quote Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
    so you think that slot and drilled are a waste of money through brembo.....and should i just replace the rear rotors or all four ........my budget can afford brembo .......thanks for the help
    i'd focus on the front.

triple-black

i put slotted and drilled on both of my cars. no pads, only rotors. the cars stop better. and, i don't see how they hinder braking, when all the major race teams use them. and, i haven't had any crack, yet.
    if you take the same rotor, non slotted, non-drilled, you'll get better heat dissipation and better brake performance.

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

I just bought a set of Triton zinc-plated slotted (curved)/drilled rotors and ceramic pads for all four corners. I only got around to doing the fronts so far. Maybe get the backs done tonight.

Slotted/drilled LOOK better, but I'm not sure if there is really a performance gain. But theories abound. I do think ceramic pads keep the heat down which is a plus. The curved slot on these rotors interests me. Most of my braking issues seem to arise from glazing on the pads. I think this is where the slots do have an attribute. We'll see.

The one theory I'm convinced of is that surface area is key to good braking. The more pad that contacts the rotor, the better. One, two (ours), three, four, six, or whatever piston calipers doesn't matter like pad surface. Actually, I think that multiple piston calipers MAY cause more problems than they are worth, unless well maintained. And they get expensive!!!

i vote for the lg motorsports bracket and c5 rotors... c5 rotors are bigger and cheaper then f bodies and might help offset the cost of the bracket

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

Quote Originally Posted by Eugenio_SS View Post
    if you take the same rotor, non slotted, non-drilled, you'll get better heat dissipation and better brake performance.
    you know something? i did. took the stock rotors off and put these wholesale direct stock rotors that were drilled and slotted. my braking was better. remember, i only swapped rotors. didn't need pads at the time. again, i keep thinking abut all of those racing venues that use slotted and drilled rotors. and then think about the 1+ years i've had these rotors on both cars.

this is going to be one of those never ending discussions. i've seen the pictures of cracked rotors. hell, i did crack one rear pair of rotors. that was right after the full one minute foot brake burnout contest i was in. got them replaced. and haven't had a crack since. then again, i haven't done another full minute burnout since then either.

triple-black

you're comparing a blank rotor that needs replacement vs a new drilled/slotted.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

who said they needed replacement? yes, they were thinner than a new one, but not under specs.

triple-black

who said they needed replacement? yes, they were thinner than a new one, but not under specs.
    got to compare apples to apples.
    as i said... if you were to take an exact rotor like yours without the slots/drills... it would outperform yours and less prone to failure as well.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

ok, i give. if one of us doesn't this will just keep going round and round.

triple-black

ok, i give. if one of us doesn't this will just keep going round and round.
    me too
    also note that for simple street use, the diff is very minimal... it starts showing when you put better pads and start braking turn after turn, such as in a road course...
    anyways... time 4 me to stfu

Red
    1999 Z28 Convertible

I got my car with Baer cross drill and sloted rotors with metallic pads. The rotors have wraped twice now. I want to throw them away and get plane stock rotors. I have been reading though that the C5 calipers and a softer pad is the best for these cars because the stock ones are to small for the car. The cross drill is mostly for looks. Race cars use a flat plain rotors because they have the most surface area and provide the best stopping power.

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Here's some pics of the new rotors and ceramic pads. I cleaned up the calipers and painted them with ceramic high-heat paint. Silver for the main caliper and black for the caliper back bracket. The rotors were a littel noisy until the zinc plating wore off the contact surface. Now they're nice and quiet. Seems to brake good, but I hope to avoid full braking for a few hundred miles.

Sorry for the bad photos. I took 'em at dusk yesterday and we still had debris everywhere from Sunday's storm.
    Last edited by jad628; 08-13-2008 at 08:57 AM.

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by jad628 View Post
    Here's some pics of the new rotors and ceramic pads. I cleaned up the calipers and painted them with ceramic high-heat paint. Silver for the main caliper and black for the caliper back bracket. The rotors were a littel noisy until the zinc plating wore off the contact surface. Now they're nice and quiet. Seems to brake good, but I hope to avoid full braking for a few hundred miles.

Sorry for the bad photos. I took 'em at dusk yesterday and we still had debris everywhere from Sunday's storm.
    An update on this:

After about 150 miles (with a lot of city traffic), these rotors have smoothed out (plating) on the surface area and feel really good. The ceramic pads don't feel "soft" but they are more consistent. Sort of like wearing running shoes as compared to leather soled oxfords. No hard braking yet. Last night I decreased speed from 85 to about 55 moderately, and they felt great. Much better than the stock rotors and semi-metallics. I can't rule out it's just because they're new, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information