White
    01 Camaro 6speed

Body after suspension

Well ive noticed this alot and since i dont drive the car much it doesnt bug me as much as it should. Ever since putting on Eibach pro kits and the car came with bilstein shocks the car feels like the body front to back and side to side flexes or each corner goes up and down or does its own thing. Its really hard to explain correctly but if it was a framed car it feels like the frame bends in every corner as if there is soo much load on any one corner even in light driving. The shocks and springs work great it recovers really well, goes into corners excellent and very little body roll although i would still like sway bars.

It feels like to me and would be the best guess i could come up with that it needs SFC's badly. Making the suspension stiffer has multiplied the effects of how badly the car needs SFC's and Sway bars and torque arm, lol. I noticed this on my stock 01 SS i had a few years back when it was brand new. Did the same exact thing, most of it on that car went away with KYB cheap shocks gas adjust and sportline springs but still somewhat had that body bending thing going on but wasnt as bad guessing it was a brand new car.
    1993 Z28 M6: K&N Intake, 52mm TB, TB Bypass, No Cats, Exhaust Cutout, Flowmaster Muffler, 3.90 Gears, 160 Thermo, Tune, BMR Springs, Bilstein Shocks, 3 Point SFC,s & MGW Shifter.

Red
    1998 Camaro SS

It’s a Fbody and SFCs should really be your first mod!!
    With your mods you are applying even more cornering gforces on the car and it’s really in need of SFCs if you don't want to get dents from the body flexing
    1998 Camaro SS Hard Coupe Bright Red #1593
    Mods: Lots!!, still my daily driver except for winter
    383rwhp 370rwft/lbs

1979 Corvette
    Mods Lots!!, weekend cruiser
    325rwhp and 320rwft/lbs

2007 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 (Yes its got a HEMI)
    Mods: Catback, BFI CAI, Winter daily driver

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

^^^ im gonna have to do SFC's. Its really way more noticable now after my spring install and its just weird when driving. Even during hard acceleration the body feels funny like it bends or flexes too much, especially going WOT and changing lanes feels the worst.

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

IDK
    I did Springs Shocks and Swaybars (Strano/Koni) last year on my car and it feels 100% better then when it was new. It currently sits at 131K miles and the chassis isn't flexing anymore then before. If anything the car feels more solid and planted.
    Craig
    Semi Retired Street Racer
    2012 Lava Red Mustang GT Coupe Brembo/3.73's
    Build Date 3/17/11, Last Lava Red GT

Gone but not forgoten
    NBM `98 Formula M6 HdTp
    1 of 1 Build Date 3/12/98

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

Truly, SFC's aren't necessary on the 4th-gen f-bodies.
    3rd-gen, now that's different.
    The 4th-gens have a pretty stiff unibody. You could and it would tighten things up but you can also do that with aftermarket swaybars, but then again, I'm talking about making a 4th-gen into a canyon carver.

Swaybars wouldn't be detrimental for the 1/4 mile, okay, a larger rear swaybar for better traction, then SFC's would be a good thing.

For the twisties, SFC's arent' necessary.

I don't know if he's still a sponsor here, but theres stranoparts.com, Sam Strano's place, that guy has won I think 3 NATIONAL AUTOCROSS CHAMPIONSHIPS within the past 6 years in a 4th-gen f-body and he doesn't have SFC's, never used them, THAT says something.

All he's got is Koni's, his own Strano springs, his own Strano swaybars, an aggressive front wheel alignment, a couple of other aftermarket parts and there you go, he's beat everyone else out there including STI's, EVO 7's 8's & 9's, Miata's, you name it, he's beat them.
    The Black 2001 SS #5697
    T-tops, 6-spd/B&M ripper, ARH LT's/GMMG/CME, Volant, Koni DA's & GC coilovers, Strano frt & rear sways, G2(SFC's w/v-braces, STB, adj PHR), Wilwood 6-piston red calipers frnt brakes w/13" 2-pc rotors, RKSport(clear front & rear corners, c-f grill), chrome Z06 wheels

they are necessary if you like your car and want it to stay nice with no tweaking of the body and to keep all the rattles and squeaks down

Red
    1997 Trans Am Convertible

Sorry, but what are SFC'S

I have a 1997 Trans Am, that has Eibach lowering springs on it. I would like it a bit taller, but not stock.

Are stock WS6 springs taller than the Eibachs?

Thanks

Richard

SFC = Sub Frame Connectors

Red
    1997 Trans Am Convertible

Man that was too easy,,,brain not working today...thanks

I will post my question as its own post...Thanks

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

The body twisting is really bad, i dont know if its a combination of both putting on wider and stickier tires out back so when i take off puts alot of strain on the body because i can easily tell it bends and twists when i go WOT in 1st or 2nd and especially changing lanes WOT to pass someone is the worst. Also the other thing would be the eibach springs that caused it as well stiffening up the car magnifying how much flex the body has. The shock and spring combo i have no complaints at all, the car handles really well recovers from dips and bumps very quickly and has a very small amount of body roll but hardly noticable. Just this twisting is more pronounced on this 01 LS1 then it ever was on my other camaoro's and ive had 5 of them, lol.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by karpetcm View Post
    The body twisting is really bad, i dont know if its a combination of both putting on wider and stickier tires out back so when i take off puts alot of strain on the body because i can easily tell it bends and twists when i go WOT in 1st or 2nd and especially changing lanes WOT to pass someone is the worst. Also the other thing would be the eibach springs that caused it as well stiffening up the car magnifying how much flex the body has. The shock and spring combo i have no complaints at all, the car handles really well recovers from dips and bumps very quickly and has a very small amount of body roll but hardly noticable. Just this twisting is more pronounced on this 01 LS1 then it ever was on my other camaoro's and ive had 5 of them, lol.

Well you know what, even though Sam Strano would swear on the bible that SFC's aren't necessary, that doesn't mean that folks still don't add them on their cars.

I got SFC's on my car, and it did make a noticeable improvement.

You'll also hear the peeps with SFC's SWEAR that the weld-in SFC's would be the ones you would want to buy and others will SWEAR to you that their bolt-in SFC's are freaking outstanding too.

Good luck with whatever you do.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

I'm thinking that, if you want a better handler then you need to get front & rear swaybars cuz well, you know, they greatly reduce body "sway", isn't that what you are trying to lessen/eliminate???

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

well im gonna definilty get the sway bars either way, ive had sway bars on all 4 of my past camaro's and will on this one as well. All have been strano up front and 21mm 1le rear. But this time im just gonna do front and rear strano's.

Black
    1999 WS6 Ram Air Trans-Am

I had the same problem. When you wiggle the steering wheel going down the road the ass-end would float around. I bought koni shocks, and what a change!!!! I have the hose mod w/shocks. It lowers it about 3/4". It tighten me up abunch. I just couldn't belive the difference. I'm really pleased with what I did.
    And yes, e-mail www.stranoparts.com or call 814-849-3417. Sam he will help you out. He helped me.

White
    2001 Z28

FWIW, I sell SFC's... and I don't in any way think they are bad things. They don't hurt the car, or the performance, and can help if the chassis is pretty worn down. The older the car, and the longer it was on stock dampers, the more SFC's help becuase the uni-body is that much more tired.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

i am pretty sure that those rear quarter fender dents are caused by wheel hop...sfc will tighten things up and help with squeeks and rattles...i love my umi 3 points...and i am glad i added them..has a much more flat and tight feeling when i take corners or do anything with elevation..feels tied together

White
    2001 Z28

Quarter panel dents are caused by hop, both on acceleration and braking. SFC's do nothing to prevent them. We've seen them form on cars after SFC's were installed, and not at all on cars that aren't driven that hard without SFC's.

Again, I'm not anti-SFC. It's just that they are often used as band-aid to suspension issues.
    Sam Strano
    SCCA National Champion (x6)
    SCCA ProSolo Class Champion (x5)
    2009 SCCA ProSolo Overall Champion
    Owner--Strano Performance Parts
    814-849-3450

Thread Information