pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

best suspension set up??

so my suspension is completely stock with the exception of a bmr tourqe arm.........im looking at changing this come spring...whats the best set up balancing handling/ride quality .....as it stands now im looking at koni sa's, bmr or spoon sway bars, prolly bmr springs but im not set on that....dont want a huge drop in the ride height.......1-1.5 inches max. lca's but not sure what kind....still need to do some sfc's as well.......what brand there??? from what ive read a triangle shaped weld in is best( stiffest) ...am i on the right track here??? i dont wanna dump 2500 bucks and find that the ride quality sucks and i dont like it when im done.....or that i scrape on every bump i encounter...or as the guy below me is talking about his car scooting sideways on bumps.......car definitly needs a lot of improvment though as i am not happy with the stock set up and all this power i have..feels way to loose and kinda scary at high speeds somtimes......thanks for your imput

pewter

oh and i almost forgot......i belive im going to need an adj pan hard bar as well

Paid 2 Post Daycrew SexOnWheels's Avatar

Blood Red
    Z28

Check out Stranoparts.com and give Sam a call. He will talk to you about your goals and recommend the best set-up for you.

You have the right idea with the Koni's just not the sway bars.

pewter

thanks...whats wrong wtih bmr or spoon sway bars though?

Blood Red
    Z28

Sam will tell you all about the bmr stuff when you get him on the phone.

The guy is a pro and knows how to set up our cars just be prepared for a decent (and long) conversation...

pewter

well i was on there site and the parts they sell didnt interest me??? never heard of the company they use for sway bars/pan hard/ etc ..they only carried bilstien as well..and eibach which i wanted to stay away from as ive heard to many complains about the back end sagging..that would drive me nuts.............so ?????? whats he gonna do for me?

pewter

i mean hes obviously going to give me advise based on the products he sells...so i guess im confused

Blood Red
    Z28

The website sucks that is why I tried to get you to call the 1-800 number.

You are right he make sway-bars and now a new set of springs but that is not the reason to stay away from bmr.

Their products are known the break/fail. Also their spring rates are progressive and not even known to what rate. This kind of thing makes it very hard to tune for.

Strano will even custom valve Bistiens for your exact application but I am glad you are willing to buy the adjustable Koni's which are excellent.

Anyways I have tried to send you to a pro rather than listen to the advice of someone like me (who has been there and installed the suspension himself) but you seem to want more opinions, which is good to research!

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17106

Good luck.

pewter

sweet link to your last post.......sry.didnt realize they carried more than whats on there site.......how do u like how your car handles now??? anything u would of done differently now that its done??

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

How far is Rochester from Syracuse???

I'm training a class over here in Syracuse, will be heading back to Cali on 12/15...

anyway, talking to Sam Strano live is a VERY good thing...

Sam has autoX'd and won the SCCS national autoX championship a few years back with his f-body, he knows what works and what doesn't work on our cars...
    Sam has also worked with a company called Adco(Suspension Technologies??? I forget!) to make hollow front and rear swaybars (35mm fronts 22mm rear) designed to his specs, he has used other swaybar companies and decided that he can design better ones, so there you go...

Also he has just introduced springs that are to his specs as well...

Sam knows his shit, he's done me VERY good, I got a canyon carver that shreds!!!

I heartily recommend Sam Strano.
    The Black 2001 SS #5697
    T-tops, 6-spd/B&M ripper, ARH LT's/GMMG/CME, Volant, Koni DA's & GC coilovers, Strano frt & rear sways, G2(SFC's w/v-braces, STB, adj PHR), Wilwood 6-piston red calipers frnt brakes w/13" 2-pc rotors, RKSport(clear front & rear corners, c-f grill), chrome Z06 wheels

pewter

thanks for the imput..very useful guys...ill def contact him when im ready to start buying parts..what part of cuse? id say from the center of cuse to the center of roch about an hr and 20 min...ever stop up at newera performace in roch? there a sponser on this site and where i plan i getting my work done...good bunch of guys up there...i graduated with the owner mike furmusa

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by tonyjnjz View Post
    thanks for the imput..very useful guys...ill def contact him when im ready to start buying parts..what part of cuse? id say from the center of cuse to the center of roch about an hr and 20 min...ever stop up at newera performace in roch? there a sponser on this site and where i plan i getting my work done...good bunch of guys up there...i graduated with the owner mike furmusa

Fuck dude, I don't know where I'm at, first time I've ever been here

I'm at the Courtyard hotel over @ Carrier circle? I go down Thompson St to James Street into Downtown Syracuse and train in Amory Square...Last night I went to eat @Dinosaur's, VERY good food!

triple-black
    2000 CamaroSS convertible

Quote Originally Posted by tonyjnjz View Post
    thanks...whats wrong wtih bmr or spoon sway bars though?
    too big in the back... you'll have your rear-end all over the place, including in front of the front-end... which is not wanted.

Thread Information