Adjustable Panhard question

Was going to do lowering springs & decided against it. I still have the springs, I just decided I wanted to keep stock height. Anyways, I prepped the suspension with LCA relocation brackets, non-adj. lca's, & an adjustable phb. I went with all UMI, but I gotta be honest, I hate the sounds that the PHB (I got the roto-joint) make. I am thinking of just getting a non-adj. phb. Anyone have any experience with this & do you think it will help the god awful noise?

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

I have the that PHB and have had no issues. Are you sure it's the PHB and not something else?

Hell all of my rear suspension is with the roto-joints.

Hmmm, maybe it is something else. Thanks, I will have to check. Maybe the shocks are loose or something.

Navy Blue Metallic

what kinda noise? does it make it while you drive or can you replicate it while parked?

Don't be surprise the noise is coming from the torque arm.

Blackened fire chicken
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

i suggest you get the adjustable panhard bar with poly bushings on both ends...i had the same problem with the roto joint/poly bushing combination panhard bar and lower control arms...the roto joints are better for track driving. too noisy and rough for street driving imo...i have the umi chromoly adjustable panhard bar and chromoly adjustable lower control arms with poly bushings on both ends and im very happy with them.

Blackened fire chicken

forgot to tell you, sometimes those adjustable parts can come loose and make noise that way too. always check those jam nuts out whenever your under the car or the suspension starts feeling funny

It sounds a lot like rattling ball joints & squeaking. The more I think about it, the more I am convinced it is the phb. Plus, to be honest, since I did not do the lowering springs I think the adj. phb is overkill. I hate adj. stuff anyways.....I can never get it just right, I always feel the need to tinker with it.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Been running the roto-joint on-car adjustable phb from UMI for about 3 years with zero issues. No noise that I've ever noticed. I've heard others hearing noise though. No idea.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Blackened fire chicken

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Been running the roto-joint on-car adjustable phb from UMI for about 3 years with zero issues. No noise that I've ever noticed. I've heard others hearing noise though. No idea.

wasn't so much a noise issue for me...just more of a harsh ride for street driving cause of all the bumps and pot holes all over the freegin place haha.

Blackened fire chicken

Quote Originally Posted by Whitefish View Post
    It sounds a lot like rattling ball joints & squeaking. The more I think about it, the more I am convinced it is the phb. Plus, to be honest, since I did not do the lowering springs I think the adj. phb is overkill. I hate adj. stuff anyways.....I can never get it just right, I always feel the need to tinker with it.
    i use a plumb bob and a tape measure to get the adjustments right...take the plumb bob and hang it from the rear fender (Hold the string of the plumb bob right up against the fender) measure the distance from the rim, to the string of the plumb bob. repeat step on other side and take your measurements and compare. lets say your 2 inches on the passenger side, and 2 1/2 inches on the driver side, youll want to adjust the panhard bar 1/4 inch over to the passenger side and it should be pretty damn close once your done adjusting...i hope that made some sense.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

That's how I do it too.

I am all lined up, there is just a lot more noise now. I may try & rub a little grease on the ends (where they fit into the brackets) & see if that solves it. But, I think I am just extra picky because I am trying to admit my mistake of buying adjustable & then not lowering. I just hate to spend the $90 for a non-adj when I still don't have headers, cam, heads, etc... I probably should just man up & buy the non-adj & sell the roto-joint & lowering springs together & cut my losses.

Navy Blue Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by godless-phoenix View Post
    i use a plumb bob and a tape measure to get the adjustments right...take the plumb bob and hang it from the rear fender (Hold the string of the plumb bob right up against the fender) measure the distance from the rim, to the string of the plumb bob. repeat step on other side and take your measurements and compare. lets say your 2 inches on the passenger side, and 2 1/2 inches on the driver side, youll want to adjust the panhard bar 1/4 inch over to the passenger side and it should be pretty damn close once your done adjusting...i hope that made some sense.

yep

Hey Andy. If your Roto-Joint is noisy have you tried putting a quarter or half turn in the spanner nut? You'd pull the bar down, loosen the set screw, then turn the nut. If you didn't buy a wrench you can use a pair of needle nose pliers, or a drift punch and a hammer. These should be completely quiet and offer more cushioning than a rod end.

ramey
    Ramey Womer
    Product Development Engineer
    ramey@umiperformance.com
    Join us on Facebook!

Thanks Ramey....I was in no way insinuating that the product was not a good product, I was just wondering if maybe the noise was just a by-product of the better performance & thus, I was acting like my wife (you now, never satisfied). I am pretty sure that the noise is either because it is an 11 year-old Camaro (low miles or not) or somehow my fault. Hopefully I can get out & wrench on her (the car, not the wife) a little bit this weekend & get the squeak pin pointed. Thanks to everyone for the input!

Thread Information