Black
    98 WS6

98 WS6 with 1 LE spring rates Shock ?

I bought this car new. Drove it some 20k and gave to to my son. After driving it to work I noticed the car really rode like poop. Every expansion joint was jarring my spine. I have had lots of stif cars and now have a vette with T1 kit and it's loads bettet than the WS6 now.

I searched many posts trying to figure out the best shock replacement solution.

I found that some believe the WS6 does not come with the 1LE spring Rates at all, others think it was a 98-99 option. Others think it only comes on M6 cars and so on. So heres what I have Rear Spring 22132889 , Front 22132887,Front sway bar 26032907. Another search tells me these are the same rates as the 1 LE package. This is on a 1998 A4 black T/A WS6 T-top car. So if those numbers are right, I guess you just have to check what you have to know for sure.

These springs give the car a rake, very nice look up front, but a tad too high in the rear,maybe 1/2 " too high. 26 1/2" front and 28" rear - fender to ground. You can squeeze in about two fingers up front betweent he tire and fender lip. Just for reference...trying to add more detail to old post questions that never quite got anwsered.

Now to the point... The car is a driver and while you want it to handle, ride is more important for the diversity of road conditions.

What shocks are my best bet on this car with the 1LE springs. Who has done it?. and what happen to the ride quality. BTW it has SFC's.

Koni SA - Lots of good press, not sure I want another 3/4" drop up front though.

Bilstein HD - out of the box. One poster explains that these are not valved right for these springs.

Bilstein Re-valved - Do they valve these to these springs?.

I do not plan to lower the car. But I am starting to wonder if I should search for a set of later model stock springs to to go with one of the above to improve the ride. Or will one of the above solutions solve the problem and I am over engineering the thing. Any help would be great.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Not quite sure but maybe install factory deCarbon shocks if your not gonna put springs in. They have a pretty good ride quality. If your gonna put springs in go with Bilstein HD's. But then again the Bilsteins are stiff and rough. Just my OPINION

Paid 2 Post Daycrew SexOnWheels's Avatar

Blood Red
    Z28

Bistiens are valved for stock springs.

The stock decarbons are garbage and never should have been installed on a F-body to begin with.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by SexOnWheels View Post
    Bistiens are valved for stock springs.

The stock decarbons are garbage and never should have been installed on a F-body to begin with.
    So a 96-97SS with Bilstein HD's are valved for stock springs even though they come with SLP springs? Now I'm learning!

Thread Information