Red
    1998 Firebird T/A WS6

3-point SFC and true duel exhaust clearance?

So i'm trying to decide which SFC i want to get. Originaly i was going to go with a 3point and get a tunnel brace to go between them. But I'm also tossing around the idea of running true duel exhaust back.

So if i get the 3 point how badly is that going to kill my ground clearance with true duel?

I was tossing around the idea of going 4" pipe through that area and flatten it so it can go over the SFC with out any real loss of ground.

Thoughts?

White
    2001 Z28

Depends on how your exhaust is built. First, let's remember the car has a tunnel brace on it from GM. Second you need to remember that the exhaust does not run where 3-pt SFC's run.

What you are asking is if something custom will work with the connectors.... The answer is simple..... it depends on how you build it. Running any exhaust pipe off the side vs. where it is stock will cut ground clearance regardless of SFC's. Routing an exhaust around the SFC's will only cost you more room.

If you think it's best to run the exhaust under the floorpan instead of down the tunnel, then probably 2-pt SFC's are better for you. But 3-pts are stronger. I guess it depends on what you priority is.
    Sam Strano
    SCCA National Champion (x6)
    SCCA ProSolo Class Champion (x5)
    2009 SCCA ProSolo Overall Champion
    Owner--Strano Performance Parts
    814-849-3450

Red
    1998 Firebird T/A WS6

Hrm... Thanks Sam, i just didnt think that duel pipes would fit down the tunnel. But i'm just a noob so what do i know. If i can get duels to run the tunnel then thats great... if not well i may just get a nicer cat back then.

Because i wanted to go with the 3 point with a new tunnel brace between the two SFC.

But again i was just trying to get some others opinions...

So thanks!

Oh one other question while i have your ear.. i was tossing around the idea of running your springs, would those work ok with stock struts untill i can afford good ones, or should i hold off untill i can afford to get both?

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

if you dont get the tru duels look at flowmaster for your cat back.and umi make the best sfc's imo. thay fit the closes to the floor pan. i to would like to know about the sprinngs i have them in the shop now. i was going to get new shocks 1st but it dosnt look like that is going to happin for a bit.

White
    2001 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by setzer6127 View Post
    Hrm... Thanks Sam, i just didnt think that duel pipes would fit down the tunnel. But i'm just a noob so what do i know. If i can get duels to run the tunnel then thats great... if not well i may just get a nicer cat back then.

Because i wanted to go with the 3 point with a new tunnel brace between the two SFC.

But again i was just trying to get some others opinions...

So thanks!

Oh one other question while i have your ear.. i was tossing around the idea of running your springs, would those work ok with stock struts untill i can afford good ones, or should i hold off untill i can afford to get both?
    I understand and some folks want true duals. Just depends on what you are willing to do to get them. Car wasn't designed for them, and aftermarket parts are not designed for them either.

It's never ideal to run lowering springs with stock shocks. They are trash to start with and can't deal well with stock springs. Demanding more from them because you change to lower and stiffer springs doesn't do them any favors, or your ride and handling. Can you run springs on stock shocks? You can. Should you? I don't recommend it.

Red
    1998 Firebird T/A WS6

01 T/A: i've actually already got a flowmaster cat-back on it, it was on the car when i got it. It sounds pretty good but i'm not sure how well it flows or any of that. But i mostly was looking at the true duels because eventually i want to do quad tail pipes instead of just duel tails. though i think i may just go with the corsa or magnaflow duel catback.

Sam:

That was pretty much the response i expected to get. It looks like you carry some non-adjustable shocks/struts long term plan is the koni 4/4 or atleast the 4/3 but thats some pretty $$. So what non-adjustable do you recomend for mating with your springs?

White
    2001 Z28

Honestly, I don't love any of the non-adjustables for lowering springs, but seeing how they are back in stock, and I use a rear shock I can trust I'd have to say Bilstein's (but only the way I sell them, which is different than what others sell). $369 for the set.

Tokico's aren't cheaper, and aren't built as well.

Black
    99 Trans Am(sold)

I would stay away from Flowmaster mufflers. I put one on and noticed a 20% decrease in gas mileage. So I hollowed it out, gas mileage back up and sounds a lot better.

Thread Information