black
    99 Z28

Whats wrong with my clutch pedal/car???

OK so to get things out of the way, Yes i have a sticky clutch. The problem is not while WOT pulls and hard shifts though. It starts with this: When I slightly rest my foot on the clutch pedal at a stop or when the car is off, and yes i mean very slightly, I can feel the clutch pedal going down by it self very slowly, and when it goes down till it cant go anymore which is about 1-2inches from the floor, i cannot put it into any gear (if car is running), and i cannot start my car if it is off. And when its like that, the engagement of the clutch is closer to the ground, but when its normal the engagement of the clutch is closer to the top. I would have to let go of the pedal and pump it a few times before i can put it into gear. But if i dont rest my foot on the pedal at all, then everything is ok.

I have concluded that the first problem is the MC. Am i correct? or is it something else?

Next Problem:
    Now i cannot hardly start my car. When i push the clutch in, and try to start my car, it doesnt start. doesnt even turn over, no relays clicking or anything. fuel pump still primes, and it doesnt sound like the starter is bad or giong out. just doesnt make any noises. So i have to pump the clutch pedal a few times before it will start. It seems as if the sensor, for having to push the clutch in to get the car to start, is going bad.... or is it something with the MC as well???

This really sucks, sometimes it takes forever to start my car. The little security light use to come on, and i couldnt start my car for like 5mins. i had to wait till it disappeared before i could start it.... but now these are the new problems....

PLEASE HELP ME!!!

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by emoFTW View Post
    OK so to get things out of the way, Yes i have a sticky clutch. The problem is not while WOT pulls and hard shifts though. It starts with this: When I slightly rest my foot on the clutch pedal at a stop or when the car is off, and yes i mean very slightly, I can feel the clutch pedal going down by it self very slowly, and when it goes down till it cant go anymore which is about 1-2inches from the floor, i cannot put it into any gear (if car is running), and i cannot start my car if it is off. And when its like that, the engagement of the clutch is closer to the ground, but when its normal the engagement of the clutch is closer to the top. I would have to let go of the pedal and pump it a few times before i can put it into gear. But if i dont rest my foot on the pedal at all, then everything is ok.

I have concluded that the first problem is the MC. Am i correct? or is it something else?

Next Problem:
    Now i cannot hardly start my car. When i push the clutch in, and try to start my car, it doesnt start. doesnt even turn over, no relays clicking or anything. fuel pump still primes, and it doesnt sound like the starter is bad or giong out. just doesnt make any noises. So i have to pump the clutch pedal a few times before it will start. It seems as if the sensor, for having to push the clutch in to get the car to start, is going bad.... or is it something with the MC as well???

This really sucks, sometimes it takes forever to start my car. The little security light use to come on, and i couldnt start my car for like 5mins. i had to wait till it disappeared before i could start it.... but now these are the new problems....

PLEASE HELP ME!!!
    I would expect it to be the master cylinder.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by emoFTW View Post

Next Problem:

PLEASE HELP ME!!!
    Sounds to me like you may have two problems at once.

First, you definitely have a clutch problem, thats a given. The fact that the clutch slowly sinks as you put pressure on the pedal tells me its probably a master cylinder going bad. I would start with that and see if the problem is resolved.

However, a bad clutch master will not cause the car to have a no-start condition like you describe. As long as the pedal itself is pushed in, the clutch safety switch will allow the car to start. The actual position of the clutch assembly does not matter, the system only monitors the actual pedal position, not clutch engagement with the engine. The fact that pumping the clutch a few times allows it to start may just be a coincidence.

Sounds like the anti-theft system is disabling your car when you try and start it. May be the resistor in the key has gone bad, or something else in the anti-theft system possibly. You would have to have it diagnosed to see whats causing the issue.

I would start by addressing the clutch problem, get that fixed, and then move onto the anti-theft system issue.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

+1 I agree with wesman.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Check the switch on the back of the clutch pedal, it may be bad.

Thread Information